• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Reddit Anime Awards 2022 Jury Crowns Encouragement of Climb: Next Summit Anime of the Year

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zoltan Kakler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:44 am Reply with quote
TheSleepyMonkey wrote:
The main take away from this is that anime fans will whine about Crunchyroll having terrible choices for their awards, then have even more terrible choices.

If you mean the Jury picks then sure, obviously it's just one or two people picking their favorites, but for the public awards they seem very good. Much better than the Crunchyroll nominees. The fact Bocchi the Rock was shut out of the Crunchyroll awards is insane given it was one of it not the most popular anime of the year. I can understand the Crunchyroll judges only giving 1 pity nod to Mushoku Tensei and Akebi Sailor Uniform because of them having content they disagree with and not wanting to promote them otherwise, but I don't think there's anything even the most diehard puritan would find offensive in Bocchi.. I guess it's just too moe or girly for the mainstream audience Crunchyroll is trying to court. Like, if it won't air on Toonami it's not worth recognizing.
Aerdra

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:50 am Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
People here are as unpleasantly as always. Rolling Eyes

Lots of grumbling from people who disagree with the results.

Well, I don't agree with all the choices either, but the Reddit anime awards are far more open and democratic than just about every other award show.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:00 am Reply with quote
As much as people here gripe that CRA is a popularity contest and dominated by a couple of shows for everything, I had to laugh that RAA looks similar this year...However, a closer look at the nominees shows it to be much more diverse and the fact that it still has a "public only" voting result makes it vastly superior in my estimation.

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:46 am Reply with quote
Zoltan Kakler wrote:
TheSleepyMonkey wrote:
The main take away from this is that anime fans will whine about Crunchyroll having terrible choices for their awards, then have even more terrible choices.

If you mean the Jury picks then sure, obviously it's just one or two people picking their favorites, but for the public awards they seem very good. Much better than the Crunchyroll nominees. The fact Bocchi the Rock was shut out of the Crunchyroll awards is insane given it was one of it not the most popular anime of the year. I can understand the Crunchyroll judges only giving 1 pity nod to Mushoku Tensei and Akebi Sailor Uniform because of them having content they disagree with and not wanting to promote them otherwise, but I don't think there's anything even the most diehard puritan would find offensive in Bocchi.. I guess it's just too moe or girly for the mainstream audience Crunchyroll is trying to court. Like, if it won't air on Toonami it's not worth recognizing.

Bocchi was not shut from the awards. It will participate next year. They just move Fall season to the next year awards everytime to give judges time to watch the nominees beforehand.

Last edited by Nachtwandler on Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
kriissyy12

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Toyokaaaa wrote:
As somebody who thought Crunchy awards were terrible, this is almost as bad. Laughing

Almost? Most people are laughing at it winning AOTY on reddit.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Very random but reading the write-ups, and man I feel kinda bad for those in the Adventure category. Didn't participate at all this year (or the last beyond helping out with proofreading), but I was never in a jury with less than at least 8 people iirc (most being closer to 10-12). Unless it's a case of more people than usual asking not to be credited, it seems like Adventure this year had either enough drop-outs or jurors were kicked for whatever reason (inactivity most likely) to bring them down to two Sad

Definitely better than cutting the category altogether, and it's not like hosts can't moderate when needed just to keep the number at a certain level. Props to those two for putting in the work that's normally done by more people to get those write-ups finished as to not be an outlier.
Theleux

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:25 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
Definitely better than cutting the category altogether, and it's not like hosts can't moderate when needed just to keep the number at a certain level. Props to those two for putting in the work that's normally done by more people to get those write-ups finished as to not be an outlier.

Even with some changes I think it'll still have similar issues. Some times it is just massive backlogs people need to go through, or just not many great allocations.

I'd much prefer a system that keeps Drama and Comedy as two core categories acting as like an overflow, and then dependent on the year we get 3 to 4 custom categories that match the most prevalent genres that year.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Theleux wrote:
Even with some changes I think it'll still have similar issues. Some times it is just massive backlogs people need to go through, or just not many great allocations.

It's definitely a tough balancing act some years with Genre, although I don't think Adventure was hurting for allocations (even some of my picks didn't get nominated). It's just very dependent on where jurors gravitate, and not all the genre categories are as popular as others. But yeah, I can see nominees like Adventure of Dai and/or PreCure on top of everything else being an issue time-wise.

Speaking of backlogs, I'm just awaiting the year One Piece ends just to see how that goes down. You can't exactly make a bunch people watch all of that, but you also don't want to have a jury with entirely hardcore fans. Time to go The Jazz Singer route and just give it the first honorary award because how else can it really compete? haha
JustMonika

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:26 am Reply with quote
Zoltan Kakler wrote:
TheSleepyMonkey wrote:

Akebi's Sailor Uniform is the most wholesome show I've seen and it has the most realistic depiction of adolescent females I've ever seen in any form of entertainment medium. So I'm not sure why you said Crunchyroll would consider the content offensive, lol
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:33 am Reply with quote
I liked both the jury and public picks for anime of the year, so I can not find fault in those choices. Bocchi would be my own personal pick though and it seems a lot of other people agree as well.

JustMonika wrote:
Akebi's Sailor Uniform is the most wholesome show I've seen and it has the most realistic depiction of adolescent females I've ever seen in any form of entertainment medium. So I'm not sure why you said Crunchyroll would consider the content offensive, lol

I recall people here complaining about the fanservice and other fetish stuff they found skeevy or questionable in the show. And the anime was actually a bit toned down from the manga, where it's a lot more prevalent.
LadonTree

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I loved Bocchi the Rock, well written source material backed up by solid production and great soundtrack, deserving winner. Encouragement of Climb was enjoyable both for hobby and CGDCT.
Eternal Dragon Of ChaOZ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:24 am Reply with quote
Why?
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:56 am Reply with quote
Huh -- hadn't even heard of Encouragement of Climb before this thread. Which service(s) did it air on?
BlackWolf26

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:50 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Huh -- hadn't even heard of Encouragement of Climb before this thread. Which service(s) did it air on?

HiDive. You do have to search for its English title, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2