• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Artist Apologizes, Deletes Chibi Maruko-chan Dōjinshi of Maruko as Drug Addict

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaoru99

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I can't say I sympathize. I have come to loath te concept of humor that's just "its a show for kids BUT ITS SUPER DARK AND EDGY AND FULL OF DRUGS AND VIOLENCE LOL" aka every Super Mario parody on YouTube and all these properties entering public domain like the dark Winnie the Pooh movie thing. Come up with some new material.
gsilver

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 1:51 pm Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
If you do not defend your copyright, a defendant can claim that you as the copyright holder abandoned it, and therefore are not entitled to seek protection now.

Why do people keep saying this?

There are major problems with media preservation specifically because they *can't* find owners of it.
Sure, no one is likely to sue you if you download a torrent of the game No One Lives Forever, but companies that very-very-very much would love to legitimately re-release it like GOG or Nightdive can't, because no one knows who owns the rights to it.

In the realms like music that isn't owned by a major company and has multiple performers, things get even more murky.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 3:09 pm Reply with quote
gsilver wrote:
Why do people keep saying this?

Better education might work, but that has to start from the ground up. If they're already adults it'll be a bit hard to change stubborn false beliefs.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 8:48 am Reply with quote
kaoru99 wrote:
I can't say I sympathize. I have come to loath te concept of humor that's just "its a show for kids BUT ITS SUPER DARK AND EDGY AND FULL OF DRUGS AND VIOLENCE LOL" aka every Super Mario parody on YouTube and all these properties entering public domain like the dark Winnie the Pooh movie thing. Come up with some new material.

Yeah, I agree. I support these people's right to free speech, but this sort of low-hanging fruit is the lowest form of humor.
@ASAnime6

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I always wondered why this doesn't apply to gintama but the opposite which is liked by jp
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 8:39 pm Reply with quote
@ASAnime6 wrote:
I always wondered why this doesn't apply to gintama but the opposite which is liked by jp

One Gintama episode did get pulled from reruns and eventually edited for home video, although the circumstances have some differences:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-11-11/gintama-no.232-to-not-run-on-at-x-at-tv-tokyo-request
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-11-24/mainichi/gintama-episode-re-airing-pulled-due-to-defamation
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-11-29/gintama-producer-indicates-edited-renho-arc-on-home-video
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2