• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: "Yuri on Ice" Made Its Studio Very Little Money, According to MAPPA's CEO

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
liatris

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:04 pm Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:
Makes me wonder whether Mugen Train's super-duper-uber-giga-mega-success trickled down to Ufotable and their animators.

Won't be surprised if like 80% of the profit went into Aniplex & Shueisha execs' pocket though.

I would be surprised if even 20% of the profits from the Demon Slayer are going into Ufo. Based on existing common sense, the money that goes into an anime production company is a pittance.
Even though only three companies have invested in the company, Ufo table has a tiny amount of capital compared to the two companies. Hopefully they had a large investment.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:53 am Reply with quote
I love YOI but I don't know why what MAPPA is saying is so shocking and offensive to people and I'm not even sure anything nefarious went on with the show's finances. We've known for forever that anime originals that are critical darlings often don't always translate to financial success and this is why a lot of studios nowadays focus on adapting popular manga and light novels instead and there's nothing about this unique to MAPPA. Even with established anime originals like the Gundam franchise we know the original Gundam was a flop for Sunrise and almost got canceled during it's initial run. I'm also old enough to remember the Crunchyroll awards where people accused YOI fans of rigging the awards which I always thought was bogus but there maybe is something to that YOI had a huge online following but it didn't translate to every day real world support and there's nothing super shocking about that. I also always felt like YOI was like a flash in a pan show where it happened to come out at the right time but it was never going to be like Free that became this massive franchise that would last for years. Though even Free's popularity has faded in recent years though their final movies still came out. But YOI always felt like one of those shows where you watch it and it's really good and inspiring but then you kind of move onto other things and that happens with a lot of anime originals and that's not always a bad thing. It's a little worrying about the YOI movie but again I don't find it at all shocking.
This again..

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:20 am Reply with quote
Mmm, yeah.. Poor little MAPPA..

But let's not forget the politics behind the scenes, shall we.. As MAPPA's people were actively working to get the queer elements on the show censored.. Pressuring the creator to have them removed..

You could very much make the case that the show was a success despite them.. Not necessarily because of them..

In a way, they got their just deserts, I guess..

As perhaps they didn't have much confidence in the venture to begin with..

TheSleepyMonkey wrote:
DamianSalazar wrote:
Let me guess MAPPA was either not part of the production committee or they were but didn't make a satisfactory amount of money?

Also, what about the film? Any progress on that?

MAPPA was on the production comittee for YOI, but as the very last member. So yes, they would be the company to get the least amount of money directly from the IP overall.

And as such didn't opt for a bigger piece of the proverbial pie..
Oggers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:38 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I'm also old enough to remember the Crunchyroll awards where people accused YOI fans of rigging the awards which I always thought was bogus but there maybe is something to that YOI had a huge online following but it didn't translate to every day real world support and there's nothing super shocking about that.

The thing is, objectively speaking, Yuri on Ice did get a lot of "real world support". It was the top-selling anime of 2017, since the DVDs/Blu-rays and soundtrack sold extremely well by many reports. I think what surprises people is the fact that MAPPA themselves didn't get as much of those profits as they assumed, plus there's a mistranslation of this interview which made rounds on Twitter already that implied that MAPPA didn't care about Yuri on Ice at all, which has caused a lot of people to have kneejerk reactions.

It's definitely always more risky to make an original anime than an anime based on an already existing property. But I think it's understandable that people are disappointed in how MAPPA has handled Yuri on Ice, even if their reasons make sense from a business perspective, when the series got so much support and there's supposed to be a movie in the works.

Last edited by Oggers on Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:23 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I love YOI but I don't know why what MAPPA is saying is so shocking and offensive to people and I'm not even sure anything nefarious went on with the show's finances. We've known for forever that anime originals that are critical darlings often don't always translate to financial success and this is why a lot of studios nowadays focus on adapting popular manga and light novels instead and there's nothing about this unique to MAPPA.

You're missing the point here. This has nothing to do with it being an original, MAPPA didn't get enough money from it because of the comittee system, and this doesn't really change with adaptations. WiT backed off from Attack on Titan because their income from it was not really worth the insane workload and terrible schedules to them, and there were news a while ago about CloverWorks losing 29 million yen for the fiscal year, despite being responsible for so many popular series.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:36 am Reply with quote
fencer_x wrote:
unlike other anime concerning sports, actual figure skaters themselves adored the series. It was realistic while still being entertaining, with a story many of them could relate to.

I'm pretty sure Captain Tsubasa (both the manga & the original anime) literally inspired future World Cup winners from around the world to take up soccer, Slam Dunk literally made basketball popular in Japan, and Michael B. Jordan has literally professed his love of Hajime no Ippo, not to mention tons of other sports series being adored by people who actually play their respective sports... but, sure, Yuri on Ice is apparently the only sports anime to be beloved by actual professional "sportspeople".

Like, yeah, I get it... Yuri on Ice had a hardcore fanbase that absolutely loved it. However, that doesn't mean that you can just start saying falsehoods in order to make it sound superior to other sports series.
utenagoddess

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:27 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
I'm pretty sure Captain Tsubasa (both the manga & the original anime) literally inspired future World Cup winners from around the world to take up soccer, Slam Dunk literally made basketball popular in Japan, and Michael B. Jordan has literally professed his love of Hajime no Ippo, not to mention tons of other sports series being adored by people who actually play their respective sports... but, sure, Yuri on Ice is apparently the only sports anime to be beloved by actual professional "sportspeople".

Like, yeah, I get it... Yuri on Ice had a hardcore fanbase that absolutely loved it. However, that doesn't mean that you can just start saying falsehoods in order to make it sound superior to other sports series.

Blue Lock as well is the current big one. Japan's match against Germany in the World Cup citing it pretty much boosted it's popularity tenfold and got people talking about it a lot as well. Pretty sure even the mangaka was working with the Japanese team officially as well.

Welcome to the Ballroom was another one that was cited by ballroom dancers, but that's obviously a more niche sport.
-Matthew-

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:29 am Reply with quote
fencer_x wrote:
-Matthew- wrote:
And it is strange because fujiyoshi and fudanshi like such content.

Way more than just them. It was amazing when it was running--unlike other anime concerning sports, actual figure skaters themselves adored the series. It was realistic while still being entertaining, with a story many of them could relate to.

Plus, its numbers when it was airing and DVD/BR sales numbers speak to its reach well beyond fujoshi/fudanshi.

I'm appalled at how this IP is being treated now.

I agree with you, it is really strange and sad.
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:56 am Reply with quote
This again.. wrote:
But let's not forget the politics behind the scenes, shall we.. As MAPPA's people were actively working to get the queer elements on the show censored.. Pressuring the creator to have them removed..

And your source for this is....? Seems like a pretty big statement that you just sound like you're taking out of your arse. Very contradictory to act like Otsuka/MAPPA would have anything against a series having queer themes, when they literally made Banana Fish with Hiroko Utsumi, who is like, the go-to director when it comes to yaoi content, and are making another show with her for next year, an anime original that's also very clearly gonna be on the fujo side.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:20 am Reply with quote
The article headline seems to be confusing a lot of people. YOI made plenty of money, MAPPA just didn't see much of it due to not having a large stake in the production committee. Might I suggest changing the title to something like "MAPPA Received Small Share of Yuri On Ice's Profits, According to MAPPA's CEO."
This again..

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:34 pm Reply with quote
TheSleepyMonkey wrote:
This again.. wrote:

And your source for this is....?

Oh, I don't know.. Something as ubiquitous as Wikipedia perhaps..

Also widely known within the Yuri on Ice community.. Even back then..

You could've easily found this yourself you know..

Instead of snapping at me like this..

TheSleepyMonkey wrote:
Seems like a pretty big statement that you just sound like you're taking out of your arse.

And airing out your ignorance on the subject..

TheSleepyMonkey wrote:
Very contradictory to act like Otsuka/MAPPA would have anything against a series having queer themes, when they literally made Banana Fish

Oh you mean the one where..

SPOILERS INCOMING.. (Please fix your spoiler tag..) spoiler[
They explicitly other gay males as rapists..
Every sexual act between males is portrayed as sexual assault/rape..
The portrayal of its supposed queer leads was made so ambiguous that a considerable part of the show's (heterosexual) viewers still insist they're 'just friends'..
They kill off one of its supposed queer leads at the end.. Messaging to potential queer viewers what one can expect if they engage in this sort of relationship..]

[EDIT: Spoiler tags added, they're apparently incompatible with the List tags ~Zalis]

Sounds more like an anti-queer themed show to me.. Perhaps it's you who should stop acting like Otsuka or MAPPA suddenly became 'queer-friendly'.. Just because they greenlit an adaptation of a problematic Japanese work from the 80s influenced by a Hays code era hollywood movie from the late 60s..

TheSleepyMonkey wrote:
with Hiroko Utsumi, who is like, the go-to director when it comes to yaoi content,

Uhh..

What.. None of her shows are yaoi genre based.. Or did I miss something..

TheSleepyMonkey wrote:
and are making another show with her for next year, an anime original that's also very clearly gonna be on the fujo side.

You can't "clearly" know what's "gonna be" in it because the show is still in (early) production.. Has one of the lead staff members indicated the show is targeting a supposed 'fujoshi' audience, or are you just guessing..?
Oggers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:58 pm Reply with quote
This again.. wrote:

Sounds more like an anti-queer themed show to me.. Perhaps it's you who should stop acting like Otsuka or MAPPA suddenly became 'queer-friendly'.. Just because they greenlit an adaptation of a problematic Japanese work from the 80s influenced by a Hays code era hollywood movie from the late 60s..

Banana Fish is definitely a product of its time in a number of ways, but having elements that would be considered problematic today doesn't automatically make it "anti-queer". If you personally don't like it because of those elements, that's fine, but that doesn't mean other queer people don't find meaning from the series. Banana Fish still has fans, even now, and it also had a huge influence on the BL genre (which, of course, has plenty of queer fans despite the stereotypes people still think are true).
This again..

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Oggers wrote:
This again.. wrote:

Banana Fish is definitely a product of its time in a number of ways, but having elements that would be considered problematic today doesn't automatically make it "anti-queer". If you personally don't like it because of those elements, that's fine, but that doesn't mean other queer people can't find meaning from the series. Banana Fish still has fans, even now, and it also had a huge influence on the BL genre (which, of course, has plenty of queer fans despite the stereotypes people still think are true).

What is "considered problematic today" couldn't be considered problematic back then.. By anyone..? I find that hard to believe.. Of course you're free to make those value judgements about the views of the Japanese public in the 80s and 90s.. I am under no illusion to do so..

Also, since when do we decide whether something is anti-queer based on what year it happened.. Do we suddenly not consider the Hays code to be an anti-queer measure just because some people back then didn't consider what they did to be "problematic"..

Also, MAPPA adapted Banana Fish in 2018 so that argument doesn't particularly apply anyway..
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:55 pm Reply with quote
This again.. wrote:
TheSleepyMonkey wrote:
with Hiroko Utsumi, who is like, the go-to director when it comes to yaoi content,

Uhh..

What.. None of her shows are yaoi genre based.. Or did I miss something..

Utsumi directed Free!, Banana Fish and Sk8. All series that either feature yaoi or that feature almost all male casts that are a little too intimate. So yes, you "missed" something - literally her entire portfolio.

TheSleepyMonkey wrote:
and are making another show with her for next year, an anime original that's also very clearly gonna be on the fujo side.

You can't "clearly" know what's "gonna be" in it because the show is still in (early) production.. Has one of the lead staff members indicated the show is targeting a supposed 'fujoshi' audience, or are you just guessing..?

The entire cast of the show so far features an all-male cast with a lot of burly guys, and Utsumi literally considered it as part of the "hot guys doing hot things" series.

[EDIT: Please trim quotes to the parts relevant to your reply, especially if they contain large images ~Zalis]
Oggers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:09 pm Reply with quote
This again.. wrote:

What is "considered problematic today" couldn't be considered problematic back then.. By anyone..? I find that hard to believe.. Of course you're free to make those value judgements about the views of the Japanese public in the 80s and 90s.. I am under no illusion to do so..

Also, since when do we decide whether something is anti-queer based on what year it happened.. Do we suddenly not consider the Hays code to be an anti-queer measure just because some people back then didn't consider what they did to be "problematic"..

Also, MAPPA adapted Banana Fish in 2018 so that argument doesn't particularly apply anyway..

I'm not going to keep arguing with you about this since we're getting off topic and you've already made your opinion on the series very clear, but I really don't know why you keep trying to link Banana Fish to the Hays Code. I doubt it had very much to do with how the series was made regardless of what year it came out; Akimi Yoshida was able to incorporate a lot of things she personally liked into the manga (especially notable since it's a gritty crime thriller that was published in a shoujo magazine, of all places) and the infamous ending was actually considered by her editors to be too tragic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4