• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Reborn as a Vending Machine, I Now Wander the Dungeon

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
exvaran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
• I wonder what Boxxo turned into when Lamis collapsed. It was probably the cardboard vending machine, right?

Yeah, you can see it in the next shot. Also let others (probably Hulemy) lift him up to their cart.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm constantly surprised more people aren't weary of the girl effortlessly carrying a giant metal box on her back.

Why would they be tired of seeing her? She's bringing food and other goodies! I don't think even strangers would be wary of her, since they don't know how heavy Boxxo can be.

The only other anime I can recall that acknowledged periods is Berserk. And that also treated it like a debilitating sickness.
Zefram

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:28 pm Reply with quote
You forgot Onimai, also debilitating sickness. Either they ignore it or treat it as a debilitating sickness, but nothing in between.
Glordit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Why would they be tired of seeing her? She's bringing food and other goodies! I don't think even strangers would be wary of her, since they don't know how heavy Boxxo can be.

The only other anime I can recall that acknowledged periods is Berserk. And that also treated it like a debilitating sickness.

Kenshin:Trust and Betrayal, DARKER THAN BLACK Season 2, 7SEEDS and Shion no Ou feature it in some form. There are others like Slayers and Tenchi Muyo but it's played off as a joke more than anything else.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:00 pm Reply with quote
The orphanage lady might be the most terrifying person in the series. Until now in most cases thieves and potential kidnappers would be run off, I think they were being a little vague about if anyone died during Boxxo and Hulemy's rescue. But then this lady is all "be right back" and returns with no arrows. Not somebody to be messed with for sure, she isn't taking prisoners.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Richard Eisenbeis
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Sorry. This is on me. I typoed. It should have said "wary" not " weary." I have fixed it in the article. Thanks for pointing this out.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Sweet fluff episode, right up to the point granny pops out for a spot of Morning Murderin'. Lamis is freakishly in tune with Boxxo though. On the one hand, he needs to get over his fear of communicating with her properly. there's absolutely no way it'd do anything to ruin their relationship. She already knows what he's thinking most of the time anyway. On the other hand, the fact he can only say about 5 phrases is a big part his appeal to us as viewers, so it would kinda ruin things for us if he could just talk.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:48 am Reply with quote
No comment on episode 11 starting with an unexpected jumpscare right of the bat? And is it me or did parts of the episode feel a little Soul Eater-ish? The colored lighting and stuff, it was a neat episode.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Regardless of what else is going on, I have to respect an anime episode which shows correct use of an AED and CPR - and yes, stripping the top half of a subject is mandatory when using an AED, so that wasn't a fan service scenario in the slightest. (Ironically, I tested to renew my certification for both just a week before the episode aired.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Melicans

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this series, start to finish. If there was one thing I remember from the novels that didn't seem to come across well in the adaptation, it's how Boxxo doesn't particularly trust the Captain. It's been a few years since I read them, so I may be misremembering, but I recall Boxxo thinking he seemed sleazy several times and that made the Captain's last musing in volume 3 seem a bit more sinister in nature, something completely absent from the last episode. Then again, maybe I'm just reading it wrongly.
noriah

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I also remember the light novel framing it that way Melicans. Overall, this adaptation reduces the amount of Boxxo's inner monologue that is revealed to the viewer, so I'm not surprised they cut it, but I also agreed with his assessment that Captain is a scheming type. Because they de-emphasized the suspicion, it reads more like "the Captain is kinda a creep, but it's ok because his ultimate aims are good" which I'm not super into. But it's a minor note in a overall good show, and they paced it out pretty well to end where it did.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2