• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action One Piece Series Gets 2nd Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:44 pm Reply with quote
James02 wrote:
Wasn't the curse that Netflix couldn't produce good live-action adaptations from manga or anime? I don't think the movies you mentioned count as a curse breaker since it was about Netflix. Or maybe I was the only one that thought that.

I was talking about the industry in general from western live action adaptations, until now most of the previous attempts they tried were horrible failures.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:49 pm Reply with quote
How they going to do this while a strike is on going?
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Unsurprising given that week two had successful numbers, but still a relatively quick renewal comparatively to a lot of shows. Still a bit of a wait due to the on-going strikes (Netflix pay your writers and AMPTP make a fair deal with SAG-AFTRA already), so plenty of time to speculate [spoiler-tagging some names for new fans, but no major spoilers].

Could easily see them fitting spoiler[Loguetown through Alabasta] in one season, whether it's eight or ten episodes. You can likely steamline spoiler[Reverse Mountain/Whiskey Peak/Little Garden] in a variety of different ways while still covering the important bits, which leaves enough time for spoiler[Drum Island (2 eps) & Alabasta (whatever's left)]. So long as S2 is successful enough that it doesn't end on the exact same "tease" as the 4KIDS dub left on spoiler[(the giant ship falling from the sky)], I will consider it a victory.

Mainly just excited for all the eventual casting announcements S2 will bring. Assuming we'll cover the above arcs, there's quite a few fan favorites making their first appearance - spoiler[Chopper, Robin, Vivi, Ace, Crocodile, Smoker, Bon Clay]... I just really hope fans won't be weird about the show potentially casting a MENA actress for Vivi if they stick with Alabasta's Egyptian inspiration.

Obviously a bit more nervous about how they'll approach Chopper, but ready to see what they do haha. We've got VFX, puppetry, some hybrid of both, or radically changing the look and casting a young actor and using practical effects. All options come with their own pros and cons, but either way, I do see them casting a younger actor for the voice at least (I love Brina Palencia in the series don't get me wrong, but I could see them wanting to go for a more grounded teen voice than a more archetypal cartoon voice).

Also speaking of VFX - spoiler[sand, fire, and smoke] devil fruit powers should be interesting.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Very thrilled about this. If it has a similar episode count to season 1 then I think ending it on Drum island arc would be right.

If it has more episodes then ending it on Alabasta would be a good point as well
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

It's just a renewal announcement, S2 is not currently in production beyond the producing level given there's both a writers and actor's strike going on. Both main showrunners are WGA members but even if they weren't, almost all pre-production work is pretty much halted until said strikes are resolved.
Xavon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Hope Jamie Lee Curtis liked it enough to play Kureha.
Turtleboy76

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

The creators on X already said they have written the scripts for S2 in advance.

Maybe dont be so negative?
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Xavon wrote:
Hope Jamie Lee Curtis liked it enough to play Kureha.
I think that's my most wanted casting of anything in history. She's just perfect for that role.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Good to hear, just kind of morbidly curious how they're going to adapt certain stuff, especially Chopper.
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
I think that's my most wanted casting of anything in history. She's just perfect for that role.

Hard same. And she wants to do it.
Mushrinku

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:05 pm Reply with quote
@danpmss

I don't think you're reading the chart correctly. it didn't get another 145 mil hours viewed on the second week. it went up from 140 mil to 145 mil hours viewed on the second week. it has 145 mil hours viewed in TOTAL. not just for the second week.
ssjtennis1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:21 pm Reply with quote
The guy you're quoting is right and the way you're viewing it is wrong. Do you really believe Netflix would renew this show if only 5 million hours watched after the debut week?
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Turtleboy76 wrote:
The creators on X already said they have written the scripts for S2 in advance.

Maybe dont be so negative?

First, how is that negative? There's a massive writer's strike and actor's guild strike going on as we speak. Being curious about how this is going to work out despite that is natural.

Second, it doesn't matter if the scripts are written. They can't start working on it until the SAG strike ends, which is likely to be at the same time as the writer's guild strike.
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:58 pm Reply with quote
The season 2 renewal video indicates scripts for Season 2 certainly arent ready.

"It will take a while for us to prepare the scripts, please be patient"
Azure Chrysanthemum

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Also writers continue to work on set during filming - you need them to retool a lot of the script on the fly if it turns out the plan doesn't work with the staging or the line delivery doesn't land right.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:34 pm Reply with quote
WatcherZer wrote:
The season 2 renewal video indicates scripts for Season 2 certainly arent ready.

"It will take a while for us to prepare the scripts, please be patient"

My understanding was that they just had it planned out with a rough story draft written, but not a real script.

[edit] Maybe I should have checked first. Reports say the script is completely finished and season 2 should stream 12 to 18 months after the strikes finish.

Variety wrote:
We’ve got scripts ready,” Marty Adelstein, CEO of Tomorrow Studios, which produces the live-action “One Piece” in partnership with manga creator Eiichiro Oda and publisher Shueisha, told Variety Thursday.

“Realistically, hopefully, a year away, if we move very quickly, and that is a possibility,” Clements said. “Somewhere between a year and 18 months, we could be ready for air.”

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4