• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Buy Announces End of Blu-ray Disc, DVD Sales

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theEugAbides

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:05 pm Reply with quote
They definitely lost my money! Ofcourse Best buys would discontinue Blu rays and DVDs cause why not their so trendy I hope they lose everything cause of this
AsleepBySunset

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:29 pm Reply with quote
medicinodestiny wrote:
This is only true if you're not counting unofficial methods for some reason. It's pretty much impossible to have lost media in this day and age. You can watch the original "banned" episode 1 of Osomatsu-san right now if you want, despite it being pulled from every streaming service and never being released on home video in either Japan or overseas. Once something is put out there it's out there forever in this day and age.

[ Pointless antagonism removed by mod. Try not to start fights, please. ] If you want to pirate anime sure, you can probably find any full length anime released after 2010. But pirating western childrens cartoons is incredibly difficult. I'm still looking for a copy of the cgi television series based on The Little Prince, it streamed on abc iview in 2019, its piss easy to just copy and paste an iview link into yt-dlp, but I can't find it any where.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely stupid. This is one of those things the collective has decided to get rid of for no reason. Having options is good. Bad enough BB already got rid of GCU, but now they are getting rid of home movies. Need to find the dragon balls.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Even in the heyday of DVDs and Blu-Rays, Best Buys never had more than a random smattering of a few dozen anime titles, mostly popular releases. Only a tiny fraction of my sizable BR/DVD collection was purchased there (though Best Buy has, for a long time, my go-to tech store for other things).

In contrast, my local Best Buy had a massive DVD section during the home media bubble, and a full-sized row of it was dedicated to anime. I used to walk down it and marvel. I made my very first anime purchase there, the Anime Legends set of Big O season 2. When the whole chain started to downsize DVDs, a store a bit further away had a big half-off clearance sale, so I made the drive over and snagged a few cheap sets. (I think I'm one of 5 people who owns that Anime Legends set of Overman King Gainer. Laughing ) With as big as my collection is, it hurts that most people no longer seem to place any value on owning their own copies of what they love, and are willing to leave things up to the capricious whims of semi-competent streaming services. No thank you.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Heard about this report a few days ago, and this really upset me as someone who has a intense love-hate relationship with streaming and digital media in general.

Thespacemaster wrote:
Do i think physical media will die?

No, there will always be a demand for it.

Will we suffer a few lost media during this era? Most definitely

Say what you want, but having everything digital only can only be benefical in the short term, eventually when the companies/streamers either go bankrupt, lose streaming license or lose original data, they will get lose and overall no way to preserve them, or you might even lose the original vers and stuck with the edited vers, case in point of the star wars old movies.

I don't think physical media will ever die. But the bad news is that more movies and TV shows are leaving (or rotating) streaming providers (that includes "original" films & TV series/miniseries are exiting/leaving streaming sites like for example 3 of Netflix's international original TV series are leaving Netflix this month, and these don't have physical home release and we don't know what streaming services may pick up streaming rights to those 3 former Netflix's international shows and leaving these niche viewers without a way to watch them). The prices for streaming have started to increase more & more like in the case for Netflix, Disney+, MAX (formerly HBO Max), etc... and they're going to keep increasing, making it harder for people to continue having subscription.

If I have to say: the news of streaming providers increasing the price, and removing their "original" films & TV series/miniseries from their catalog may cause people even those that love streaming to seek out physical media. I mean I have some films and TV shows that I liked/loved on Netflix, Disney+, and HBO Max but a lot of them don't have Blu-ray/DVDs thus leaving them unavailable and almost become borderline lost media, how can I re-watch them if they're not available on streaming, and not even available on physical media like Blu-ray?

This is why I predict physical media may see a comeback in the near future!!!

Last edited by mdo7 on Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm sad, but not surprised. After all, they did the same thing with CDs, so Blu-Rays/DVDs was only a matter of time. Although, to be fair, while I am sad, I know I'm part of the problem because I can't recall the last time I bought a Blu-Ray or DVD from Best Buy. I don't buy much these days when it comes to that (just too expensive compared to buying manga, which I've also limited myself), and when I did, it was either at Walmart, Amazon, or RightStuf (prior to the shift to the CR store). Either Best Buy didn't have the selection I wanted, or they were priced too high for me to justify it. The last set I can specifically remember buying was One Punch Man S1 Blu-Ray. Got it at Walmart for $20 in store (although online, I see it listed at about $23). Yet the same set at Best Buy is listed at $45. Why would I pay that price when I'm able to get it for half the price somewhere else? That just wouldn't be logical.

I'm just sad for the sake of the fact that it's another store getting rid of physical media in response to the changing times we're in. And I get it, it's the right choice for the store. It's not profitable to stock something few are buying, and might as well use that space for things that do often sell. It's a shame, but it is what it is.
onpufan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:22 pm Reply with quote
AsleepBySunset wrote:
People who say stuff like this have no idea what they're talking about. If you want to pirate anime sure, you can probably find any full length anime released after 2010. But pirating western childrens cartoons is incredibly difficult. I'm still looking for a copy of the cgi television series based on The Little Prince, it streamed on abc iview in 2019, its piss easy to just copy and paste an iview link into yt-dlp, but I can't find it any where.

I think that depends what cartoons you're talking about. I can easily find HD rips of shows like Batman the Animated Series to download just fine. Sometimes it's even better than the official DVD release like the fan-made HD remasters of Ed, Edd, and Eddy. Any show with a decent sized fandom will have rips from streaming services, television, or home video releases. The real issue is mainly older, obscure stuff. There's quite a few cartoons from the 80s and 90s that never got a home video release or were ever really aired again after its initial airing because they were bombs, let alone ever being put on a streaming service. Those only exist in poor quality TV rips if someone happens to have a VHS recording. But those were hard to find even when physical media was popular because they were never popular enough to get a physical release either so physical media didn't exactly help them survive. Physical media dying out wont change an obscure shows fate, but at least in this day and age we have modern ripping technology so it's much less likely to be forgotten.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I know the big conversation here is the whole digital v. Physical thin here, but my only real reaction is simply, "Who the hell buys movies from BestBuy?" For my entire life BestBuy has always had -- by an enormous margin -- the worst prices for DVDs/BRDs. They'd consistently be priced at 50% over (or double) the prices at most other retailers. They sucked.

I'd only ever buy discs from BestBuy when I had a gift card, and even then it was hard to stomachs due to just how blatant they were about ripping consumers off.

AsleepBySunset wrote:
If you want to pirate anime sure, you can probably find any full length anime released after 2010. BUT--

Pretty much. Last year I gave my sister a book for Christmas and she liked it, and later found out Disney adapted it into a live action TV movie in... 1993, I think. So, naturally, she wanted to watch it. Should be on Disney Plus, right? Nope. Her only option has been old, secondhand DVD or VHS tapes. For the former, she's tried three discs, none worked; for the latter, who the heck owns a VHS player?

Lost media is still very much a thing, yes indeed, shy of only a few exceptions. Like you sort of implied, anything older than 15 or 20 years that wasn't popular is pretty hard to find, if it's possible at all. And that's including the most popular media for piracy -- video games, anime, music.

You'd be surprised (I know I was) just how much stuff can only be found via Archive.org because it was only ever uploaded once, on some long-since defunct website.
WoodDude

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
I know the big conversation here is the whole digital v. Physical thin here, but my only real reaction is simply, "Who the hell buys movies from BestBuy?" For my entire life BestBuy has always had -- by an enormous margin -- the worst prices for DVDs/BRDs. They'd consistently be priced at 50% over (or double) the prices at most other retailers. They sucked.

Back in the early 2000s I think I picked up a few boxsets from there in the past, but these days? If I buy physical media its form Amazon, or imported from Japan. It's almost always cheaper online compared to in-store.

Last time I went to a Best Buy was when my PS4 controller died and I needed a new one and didn't want to wait a couple days for Amazon to ship it so I bit the bullet and bought one in person.
PseudoFiction

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:28 pm Reply with quote
It's such a modern thing, this concern about lost media. It really comes down to whether you feel that all art is worth preserving, there are plenty of articles about how 75% of silent movies have been lost due to fires or improper storage.

Creating, and maintaining, any kind of complete archive would be a monumental task, and the more I think about it, the more it doesn't feel worth it. We're talking about pop culture, things that are both inherently formative yet disposable, products of their time that inspire the next generation of artists.

I definitely see the value in a Criterion Collection, any archive that preserves what are deemed the classics, but an archive of every TV show that had one mediocre season would be pointless, it'd be like a making a museum of "meh" art.
AsleepBySunset

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:59 pm Reply with quote
PseudoFiction wrote:
It's such a modern thing, this concern about lost media. It really comes down to whether you feel that all art is worth preserving, there are plenty of articles about how 75% of silent movies have been lost due to fires or improper storage.

Creating, and maintaining, any kind of complete archive would be a monumental task, and the more I think about it, the more it doesn't feel worth it. We're talking about pop culture, things that are both inherently formative yet disposable, products of their time that inspire the next generation of artists.

I definitely see the value in a Criterion Collection, any archive that preserves what are deemed the classics, but an archive of every TV show that had one mediocre season would be pointless, it'd be like a making a museum of "meh" art.

I don't really agree. Plenty of things which are classics or cult classics are hard to find anyway. I don't really like the idea that critics should be able to decide which series are worth saving. Would a team of critics decide Petopetosan is worth saving or Zettai Shounen? what about the Jarinko Chie tv series, how about the western cartoon Pablo the Little Red Fox or Skyland, or say nelvana's Tintin?

Sure I'm not proposing we go through the effort of making an archive, but I'm not going to rest easy thinking to myself, "sure humanity might end in 5 decades, but at least there's an archive of the IMDB top 500 films"
nyaa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:09 pm Reply with quote
I worked for BB for 5 years (not in the damn store!) and used my generous employee discount to buy tons of dvd sets back in the days 12 or so years ago when they had a very large selection of anime in 3 aisles of the store. Then I shifted to online purchases from what was called Rightstuf and then about 4 years ago I basically ran out of space to store anymore physical media and shifted to digital media. The only thing I'll miss is not being able to get copies of movies that show up in the theaters like anything from Chris Nolan.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Not surprising about it leaving the stores, but you'd think they'd keep it for online sales
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:50 pm Reply with quote
AsleepBySunset wrote:
PseudoFiction wrote:

I don't really agree. Plenty of things which are classics or cult classics are hard to find anyway. I don't really like the idea that critics should be able to decide which series are worth saving. Would a team of critics decide Petopetosan is worth saving or Zettai Shounen? what about the Jarinko Chie tv series, how about the western cartoon Pablo the Little Red Fox or Skyland, or say nelvana's Tintin?

Sure I'm not proposing we go through the effort of making an archive, but I'm not going to rest easy thinking to myself, "sure humanity might end in 5 decades, but at least there's an archive of the IMDB top 500 films"

On that topic, censorship is another issue. You can't put it past the big corps' sensitivity managers from dropping certain episodes and cutting content. So some things can only be had by getting them when the gettings good. I recall a story where Amazon retroactively pulled E books and refunded Kindle customers without consent. And a personal peeve of mine is that digital DLC content I purchased for a PS3 game, Singstar, can never be redownloaded again. So, yes, your digital storefronts aren't always going to guarantee you access for what you pay for. I will either skip digital only games, or only get them on sale for $5-15 or less, which is the price of a perishable meal.
Traptrix Lover

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:46 am Reply with quote
PseudoFiction wrote:

And realistically, how many people would ever watch those silent films in the first place if they were available to watch? Most people don't care about media that's older than 5 years, let alone 10, 20, or more. I see videos and articles all the time of kids thinking shows from the 90s look old because they're hand drawn and not CG, or asking why they cut off the sides of the picture because it's in 4:3 aspect ration, which is why so many companies and channels crop 4:3 shows down into fake widescreen all the time which just looks awful. Outside people who grew up with older media, not a lot of people are going to go searching for it or care about older media. It's up to the fans to keep them alive.

I'm a G1 and Beast Wars Transformers fan. I know no one but us boomers care about G1 and Beast Wars or are buying those Masterpiece figures or other toys and merchandise and kids probably all like the Michael Bay live-action stuff instead. But there's apparently enough of us for Takara Tomy and Hasbro to still preserve and acknowledge the older series still and until there isn't they'll keep on doing it. Once my generation all dies out? Who knows. Doubt people in 100 years will be getting into the original G1 or Beast Wars cartoons.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3