• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Ancient Magus' Bride Manga's Return Gets Simultaneous English Release Using AI Translation

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I don't read this/watch this series, but if I did I'd stay far away from this. I'd rather read illegal scans as long as those are localized by actual humans.

I can only hope others will also take a stance and not support these disgusting practices.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Todd_Harry08

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:08 pm Reply with quote
OtomeGay wrote:
Oh, gross. No thanks Mad I like my manga translated by real human beings who are actually paid a decent salary, thank you very much.

Lol you mean who's paid lower to do it since i don't think there's any translator is paid decently sadly and if there's some they are very few.
Gnarth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I was very excited after the anime finale, then I read this. I guess it had to happen sometime, but it's nonetheless depressing to see. And it's one of the manga I'm looking to pick up the most, what a bummer... I wonder if any human being will bother with a fan translation.

At least I'm even more motivated to seriously learn Japanese.
Never_Know_Best

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I mean, the timing is at least sensible with Anglophone and Chinese viewers having just finished s2. A lot of beloved, ongoing manga still hasn’t taken to the simulpub trend—Berserk is certainly asking for it—and hopefully other publishers would at least approach their series with more professionally.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:56 pm Reply with quote
This is incredibly disappointing.
Jade-Cascade

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:10 pm Reply with quote
As a professional translator, I find this very disconcerting. I really don't see how AI can grasp the nuances of language or an author's intent. I often have to read between the lines, but how can AI? Translators also need a constant flow of work to pay the bills. Did a freelancer lose out on a job because Magus Bride switched to AI?
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Who is this benefiting?
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I hope this won’t affect at least Seven Seas’ professional release of the manga.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:23 pm Reply with quote
This ain't it, fam.
onpufan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Jade-Cascade wrote:
As a professional translator, I find this very disconcerting. I really don't see how AI can grasp the nuances of language or an author's intent. I often have to read between the lines, but how can AI? Translators also need a constant flow of work to pay the bills. Did a freelancer lose out on a job because Magus Bride switched to AI?

I think that's a bit of a non-issue since we've seen plenty of official translations make plenty of mistakes or purposely choosing to edit/censor a series or do very odd localizations in the "swag dab Gangnam Style Pogchamp!" vein. The nuances in language argument doesn't work very well when official translations don't respect the language already and made very questionable choices.

And if quality isn't the issue it'll come down purely to cost and what's cheaper for the company. I myself don't really mind who or what translates a series so long as it's a good translation.
light turner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
Who is this benefiting?

Ideally the fans. I think the move to AI translations will be a wholey beneficial one in the end. I don't know if it's feasible at this very moment, but eventually I'm sure the technology will get there. The day it leads to faster, more accurate translations will be one that benefits the fandom as a whole.

Last edited by light turner on Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:35 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
I hope this won’t affect at least Seven Seas’ professional release of the manga.

Seconded. I don't want to have to drop this series.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:52 pm Reply with quote
L0ken wrote:
"In this innovative initiative, we have combined our unique machine translation technology with proofreading by professional translators using Mantra Engine"
I hope at least this part is true. They say efficiency translator emproves by half, but people are rightfully skeptical.

Ask any translator, and they'll tell you that "proofreading" machine-translated work takes just as much labor as doing the work wholly themselves, if not more. They still have to read the Japanese to make sure things the software can't pick up on, like all the unspoken ambiguities that Japanese language and culture are literally known for are handled correctly. They have to make sure things read well in English, often wholesale rewriting the output to fix clunky prose. And yet, they get paid less for "proofreading."
InfiniteNothingness

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:00 pm Reply with quote
R. Kasahara wrote:
Seconded. I don't want to have to drop this series.

Crossing my fingers too. Absolutely loathe everything about this, and the continued push for AI I've seen in animation (and elsewhere) in almost every case I've seen.
Nigel Planter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Cho_Desu wrote:
It's sad, but most translating, editing, and lettering jobs for manga, light novels, etc will almost surely be replaced by A.I. in the years to come, because general audiences value speed of release much more than quality of release.

I value quality over speed, but the quality we currently have is not very good either so changing to machines can't do any worse and the company ends up saving money. Maybe a machine wont replace Japanese Idol terms with K-Pop terms like when I see an official translation change 'oshi' to 'stan' and wince. Or worse.. when I see Twitch chat slang in official translations like Poggers. *dies* I'll take some stilted English over those any day of the week.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 16