• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Dangers in My Heart Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:36 pm Reply with quote
One of the things I'm really liking about this cour is the relationship between Kyotaro and his sister. Usually it would be antagonistic or patronizing, with him being on the defensive with her, or her actively sabotaging him or making fun of him or something. I've seen that dynamic so often I was shocked when he actually confided in her and she was sympathetic and on his side. They've just got a really nice relationship, with her neither meddling nor getting in his way. Very refreshing to see.

It's also a sign of his comfort level with Yamada that he's willing to let her see him in his pajama bottoms without a second thought or angsting about it till doomsday. Laughing I'm glad we finally got some context for that from the OP.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:00 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to see the two easing into doing more overt couple-y stuff (going home together officially, watching a movie together, visiting each other at work) as well as trying to get to know each other better.

Kana is the best wingwoman sister and one of the most entertaining characters in the whole show.

I hope Yamada's manager doesn't stir up too much fuss over their relationship. Yamada wouldn't even still be doing this job if it wasn't for Ichikawa.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
One of the things I'm really liking about this cour is the relationship between Kyotaro and his sister.

I think part of that is the age gap; early on, I just assumed she was only a year or two ahead, but she's in college. Much easier to have a cordial relationship with a sibling six years younger.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:28 pm Reply with quote
That may be true, but that's not how it usually plays out in anime. If the sibling is significantly older or in college, they usually either act more like a parent or are "aw, isn't that cute" patronizing. And even if they would be supportive, the younger sibling pretty much never (I'd just say never, since I can't think of any examples, but never say never) opens up honestly to the older one, expecting to be ridiculed or worse if they do.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I haven't been this invested in a couple since Ryuji and Taiga from Toradora and Risa and Ootani from Lovely Complex, my initial favorite couples. I've been reading the manga since they were first published, but seeing them animated and hearing their voices brings it closer to the heart hence the caring of these two. And to be honest, I don't see this going south for our couple. It's been such a slow crawl, any bad things that may happen would be just a bump in the road. It's a cliche' to say, but they were made for each other and anything but a happy ending would be false and ridiculous; the drawn out journey to the golden promise land of hooking up officially is what keeps me watching and reading and any other ending will force me to go out to my porch and yell obscenities' and episode 17 confirms it.
ItsThatBriGuy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:34 pm Reply with quote
It's no exaggeration to say that, aside obviously from the upcoming karte. 25, this week's episode was the most eagerly anticipated of this season by print fans and it did not disappoint. It hit nearly every expected beat (though Kana's absence from the infirmary area will force a little bit of change in the next episode; that's more than made up for by the extra bit with Jin added to better set up certain Season Three background events than the manga did).

I wanna disagree with the reviewer a bit. While Kyou's self-acceptance here does ultimately flow from his own accomplishments and understanding of just who he really is, he never takes this step (or most any of those we've seen him take this whole time) without his romantic partner pushing or inspiring him. The romance fuels his growth and his growth fuels the romance. There's no separating the two.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm not totally clear whether his impassioned speech after the last part he could remember was ad-libbed by him or just dredged up out of his memory from so many practice attempts. Either way, he managed to smash it.

And Anna's response to the confession was a full on feels cannon. Poor Kyo took a direct hit, and even his substantial powers of self-denial can't really survive that.

A while big sis didn't get to save the day in the end, she gets points for effort and commitment to supporting her little brother. It's nice to see a sibling relationship that's neither a creepy nor pointlessly antagonistic.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I ship big sister with the helpful guy who led her to the school. Very Happy
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:39 am Reply with quote
The only thing more satisfying than the steady and natural progress of Ichikawa and Yamada's romance is the steady and natural progress of Ichikawa's character as he matures and starts to put himself more out there and how it impacts his relationships, especially with Yamada.

Believe in the Shojo Jun Fukuyama that believes in you! Especially when it's basically just yourself, in the end.

Haruya will never be anyone's favorite character, but he has his own anxieties and issues and he lives by his own code even if it makes him come off like a jerk (intentionally so). I'm really curious about his relationship with that one girl.

Yamada basically confessed. There's no going back from this and they both know it.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:39 am Reply with quote
I think I see the problem now.

Most people think "The dangers in my heart" only refers to Kyotaro and his development while I think it refers to both him and Anna. I think she initiated the whole relationship by using him, as a shield and a scapegoat and a fellow outsider. An outsider who spends more time copying behavior they see around them rather than be genuine people. And as Kyotaro escapes his cage and becomes a real person by leaps and bounds, Anna remains where she is.

"My hands are full, I cannot grab anything more." I think it's a line she stole from an acting role because either... 1 Anna is simple as she appears to be but would a simple Anna speak in metaphor?... or 2 Anna is hiding under a veneer of simplicity and she doesn't want to hurt anymore emotionally because she's uncertain how far she can control it.

To me, her most genuine moment to Kyotaro was "If you really knew me, you wouldn't like me."

It is funny that people seem to come to terms with these character issues as Anna's self esteem and if she was just a model, I could certainly agree with it. But she's also an actor and the first step in being an actor is knowing who you are so you can pretend to be someone you're not. If she's a good actor that is, we've yet to see any examples, almost as if the author knows it's a crux of her character.
Probablytomorrow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I think I see the problem now.

Most people think "The dangers in my heart" only refers to Kyotaro and his development while I think it refers to both him and Anna.

I’m so confused as to what “dangers” you think the title is referring to. (I’m confused about basically everything you said, but I’ll focus on the first thing.)

I’m quite sure the title is referring to insecurity - the fear of being a disappointment, the fear of being rejected, and the awareness that the act of opening your heart to someone is an act of putting yourself in danger of being rejected. Kyotaro and Anna are both filled with insecurities and so they are feeling the danger that they are bringing on themselves.
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Great episode, and a solid review with one omission; We need to talk about the other kids being the great wingmen for this couple. Annas friends are really trying to make nthat push forward for her. I love her friends Smile
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Whelp, hot damn...it's one thing when an anime or a manga has a particular style, realistic character designs which immediately garner more seriousness because, well, they look like real people and when it comes to romcom anime it'll eventually, if popular enough, be adapted with actors and actresses. And then you have the opposite; cartoony style artwork and with that all seriousness gets thrown out the window because, heck, people don't look like that. I didn't think episode 17 was going to be eclipsed emotionally, but prove me wrong TDIMH. There's more flat-out facial emotions oozing from this series then most live action series of the like I've seen. That very last scene with Anna's crazy eyes red face had me shouting at my computer screen. Try to mimic that with an actress! MrAJCosplay says, "This is why I love this genre so much." And I'd like to add, "And this is why I love anime so much."
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:46 pm Reply with quote
The only thing that could have been better would be spoiler[if Shun Horie had sung the entire opening sequence like he was Ichikawa doing Karaoke. ]
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:33 pm Reply with quote
One of my favorite beats here was Kyotaro calling out Kanzaki for pressuring Hana. The line lost a lot of impact in translation, sadly, but it really got to the crux of the issue and made Kanzaki realize where he was going wrong.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4