• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Volume 1 in May

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:23 am Reply with quote
Nenena wrote:

The characters in the video flat-out said that it was cool that people were watching fansubs.

That's not how I interpreted the line; it sounded to me like the actress ("Ms. Lee") was impressed/intruiged, she was NOT condoning the use of fansubs. What company would outright say, "sure, we invested a ton of money into licensing this series and it's totally OK for you to illegally watch it on the internet!").

Nenena wrote:

They didn't make any threats.

I would say detecting subterfuge is not your strong point? A classical form of intimidation is to firmly establish a sense of authority/power, such as a tour of the Bandai-Namco industrial complex, and then to make a 'friendly/informative' statement that is intended to frighten people into submission.

What Bandai is implying, but not saying, is that "we are a big, powerful corporation. Stop watching fansubs OR ELSE"; however, Bandai is not the licensor of this show, merely a sub-contracted 'flunkie', and they have no justification or founding to strong-arm already 'converted' fans (and one must admit, the converted are most likely to watch that video) into ceasing with the illegal activities.

We got the picture with the end credits from the first video; it was humorous yet firm, and aside from the "fully ending video" from a day or two ago I haven't touched a fansub (for Haruhi) since.

This sort of finger-wagging is almost a 'dare to defy', which is certainly not the intended outcome of that cheeky video..

Nenena wrote:

The ending credits even specially said "No thanks to people who download the fansubs and don't buy the DVDs." That "AND" is very important. It didn't say "No thanks to people who download the fansubs." If it had stopped there, then it would have been a condemnation of fansubs. But it specified: ire only directed at people who DL the fansubs but don't buy the DVDs. Not ire directed at fansubbers in general.

That's a carry over from the first installment of the video, which was assaying to convey a different message ('theme') from this newer film. However, restraining from taking a jab at fansubbers in general does NOT imply that Bandai or any other company looks favourably upon the use of fansubs in general.

Nenena wrote:

The walkthrough of the Bandai-Namco complex was just silly self-advertising. It wasn't to add legitimacy to a threat (because there was no threat); it was to show off things like "Hey, look, GUNDAM MODELS! Yuki's reading the EUREKA SEVEN MANGA! OMG giant GitS CROTCH SHOT on the wall behind Haruhi! Tee-hee!" It's done to establish that these people are a) anime geeks and b) want you to buy their stuff. Sure, maybe annoying and heavy-handed, but it's hardly a crime for a company to self-advertise in their own promotional video.

I'm not denouncing the advertising, though I also found it annoying; the 'threat' was to illustrate Bandai's wealth and power through that facility. Covering an iron maiden with flower stickers and smiley faces does not de-legitimize what it represents.

Nenena wrote:

The videos are a fun and adorkable way for Bandai to acknowledge the existence of fansubs but still incite people to buy the DVDs.

A cute emphasis on a"dork"able, there. Wink

Zac wrote:

This post convinces me you're a gimmick.

Well, you would know how to recognize one, I guess.

Last edited by Malintex Terek on Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:29 am; edited 1 time in total
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:26 am Reply with quote
I'm guessing that the next 'episode' of this series will announce the cast--it says at the end that they're going to go to the studio...something about spreading happiness.

IE, probably it's going to invovle 'Haruhi' and the gang running through the studios going "HAY GUYS LOOK IT'S CRISPIN FREEMAN"

(Not that I would mind that....particularly if Crispin fought a Ninja like Johnny Bosch did in a promo video for Eureka 7.)

EDIT: Okay, even if Bandai IS saying that....so? It's licensed. Time to put away the fansubs and wait for the official release.

Besides, they THANKED the fans who downloaded fansubs, so I doubt they're making a big deal out of it like you are. I don't detect a threat, nor do I feel threatened by the video.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
lockeout

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:38 am Reply with quote
I notice both the news briefs call it The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi; are they actually changing the title to the Family Name, Given Name style? That would be an interesting move.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:38 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:

Time to put away the fansubs and wait for the official release.

I agree in practice, since I've pretty much done just that, but we've still got some dead time until the DVDs are released and a little promotion could not hurt; it's not like fansubs, which have been out for a good while, will cause a huge dent in the sales of the show in the future.

Heck, the past two days on Yotsuba have been filled with nothing but a spam of Haruhi related media and information, from "buy the R1 DVDs" to questions about the novel and speculation. Even today, I still grin when I think about that; a corporation actually got a bunch of savages to consider positively promoting a series to be cool, such that it became a 'meme'.

MorwenLaicoriel wrote:

I don't detect a threat, nor do I feel threatened by the video.

It's not so much a threat as it is a mild insult; Bandai followed a format of establishing an argument much like I would, that is, to first express credentials/foundation and then make an assertion with the backing on that flooring. It wasn't necessary and could have been devoted to more "cutesy" Haruhi antics; if Bandai truely was as 'aware' of the internet community buzz as they are trying to seem, they would recognize that many individuals, myself included, are lovingly promoting the sale of the show when it actually comes to market. So, to go ahead and again assert that "fansubs are nice, but DVDs are better" is "overkill".

Even if somewhat cordial, Bandai's message still implied hostility, which I do not think was duly warranted.
biolizard_alpha

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
On a related note, I am surprised that the voice actor cast was not announced, which is quite interesting, because the only pivotal point on which I might be disuaded from purchasing the DVDs is as to who was cast as Itsuki and Kyon. If a certain two individuals that I currently frown upon were slotted into those roles, I would have to reconsider whether or not saving up some money for a DVD that would likely annoy me is worth my invested time, effort, and funds.

I believe those will be announced in the next video. In the credits for 001, they said they were going to a "studio" for 002.

Quote:
I notice both the news briefs call it The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi; are they actually changing the title to the Family Name, Given Name style? That would be an interesting move.

Bandai's calling it The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:16 am Reply with quote
biolizard_alpha wrote:

I believe those will be announced in the next video. In the credits for 001, they said they were going to a "studio" for 002.

Is that so? Excellent catch!
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:29 am Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
biolizard_alpha wrote:

Is that so? Excellent catch!

Actually, I already said it in the post you quoted from. Wink

And I still have to disagree with you on this video. I don't think it's an insult, either. To me it was just a confirmation on how they feel about fansubs--"We're glad you're really enjoying the show, but please make sure to buy the DVDs!" I think it's a good move for a studio to show they appreciate the fansub community, and to ask for the fans to support the release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
R_Amythest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:09 am Reply with quote
If it were some kind of threat with tons of legal insinuations, I believe they wouldn't be hanging around the entrance area with silly gundams and have only shots of the tops of cubicles and a tiny cramped office. Razz The building itself looks a bit bigger and more "official", but what else are they supposed to? The characters taking themselves to Bandai is really quite a nice fourth-wall-breaking device. As for the announcement itself, clearly they disapprove of fansubs, but they convey it in all Haruhi silliness. I mostly giggled throughout the "DVDs WILL SAVE THE WORLD" scene.
Nenena

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I would say detecting subterfuge is not your strong point?

Crying or Very sad

Well, at least I didn't miss the part in the video where they said that they were visiting the voice actor's studios in the next episode. It was written in giant white capital letters and all.

I dunno, looking around... It seems like you're so far the only person detecting any sort of threat in the video. Are Gundam models really that intimidating to you? Where is this "hostility" that you detect coming from?

Quote:
However, restraining from taking a jab at fansubbers in general does NOT imply that Bandai or any other company looks favourably upon the use of fansubs in general.

Well of course they probably don't look favorably on fansubs. If they found fansubs at this date they would be perfectly justified in taking legal action against such fansubs. And they probably would. We know that they would. Heck, I'd say that they should. But none of the above means that the video in question was at all threatening or hostile towards fansubs/fansubbers, because it wasn't. In the video, "Yuki" didn't make threats against fansubbers. Instead, she joked about the inferiority of bittorrent and insinuated that without DVD sales the universe would cease to exist. She made a joke. That's not intimidation. That's called catching more flies with honey than with vinegar. Bandai knows that they're not going to stop the fansubs by being hostile toward the fanbase. Instead, the make self-effacing jokes about the issue, so that people watching the video will go "Ha ha, that's funny, and these people are pretty cool, we should support them because they're hip and they get it!"

Yeah it's still a marketing gimmick, but if it's fun, who cares? I'm sorry that you feel threatened and/or insulted by it.

I still think you're reading too much into this when you say that Bandai was making threats, or trying to intimidate the fanbase with Gundam models and cute Scrapped Princess posters.

Quote:
If it were some kind of threat with tons of legal insinuations, I believe they wouldn't be hanging around the entrance area with silly gundams and have only shots of the tops of cubicles and a tiny cramped office. Razz The building itself looks a bit bigger and more "official", but what else are they supposed to? The characters taking themselves to Bandai is really quite a nice fourth-wall-breaking device. As for the announcement itself, clearly they disapprove of fansubs, but they convey it in all Haruhi silliness. I mostly giggled throughout the "DVDs WILL SAVE THE WORLD" scene.

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly the impression that I got.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:29 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
I'm guessing that the next 'episode' of this series will announce the cast--it says at the end that they're going to go to the studio...something about spreading happiness.

IE, probably it's going to invovle 'Haruhi' and the gang running through the studios going "HAY GUYS LOOK IT'S CRISPIN FREEMAN"

And then later, Haruhi starts "recruiting" the VAs through means that god only knows! Laughing
omar235

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:56 am Reply with quote
Well I have to buy the DVD...it is vital to the new religion I practice known as haruhism. Wink Besides how else can the plane of existence be saved. Laughing
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:24 am Reply with quote
Knowing Bandai's Scrapped Princess and Eureka 7 releases i'm assuming that Haruhi will have something added on.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Eos

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:37 am Reply with quote
[quote="Malintex Terek"]
Zac wrote:

As a person who lives on only a couple dollars per day, I do admit I am quite jealous of those so wealthy they only have to sacrifice excess money when purchasing a luxurious good such as a DVD.

Oh please, you're on the internet during the wee hours of the morning trolling a form on anime. This means you have the "luxurious goods" of computer, internet access, and plenty of free time. First it was being self righteous, now pretending to be poor is the way to justify not buying a DVD. Just get it over with, say "I choose to download illegally."
Rin Tohsaka

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:23 am Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
Is "massive failure" the proper way to romanticize 涼宮 ハルヒ? Because if one did not know better (and for those that certainly do not know better, I am here to light a pathway to truth), it would seem Bandai USA has finally stumbled over an insignificant stone pebble in a worn dirt road.

The Haruhi video ("001") that was posted on the asosbrigade.com website was absolutely dreadful, not in the "oh, how quaint" manner of the first meant to emulate the poor quality of Haruhi episode 00; I mean it was positively outrageous in how little was revealed about the series, and how poorly Bandai managed to cover up its apparent rage at fans continuing to view the episodes on networks like YouTube.

For the first half of the episode, we were guided through an affluent industrial park with various Gundam advertisements (no doubt a pitiful plea to the Gundam fandom to have mercy on that atrocious monstrosity "Gundam Seed"), which, if anything, conveys the image that Bandai's wealth and power should be feared, or at the very least acknowledged by fans.

Almost as if there is some sort of hierarchy where anime companies are superior to the consumers who purchase their products. Uh? Didn't I recieve a message (of which I have been a bit dilatory in responding to, apologies to the party in question) that specifically said "we live and die buy the success of dubs AND subs"? What sort of strong-arm politics is this?

We see this in the latter half of the video; after the one important bit of information in the film is revealed ("Haruhi DVD #1 in May") we are forced to listen to an annoying long and boring lecture on why fansubs are devils and officially sanctioned localizers blessed saints of the Holy Catholic Church of Anime.

No doubt the walkthrough of the Bandai-Namco complex was meant to add legitimacy to this sort of thinly-veiled "threat"; as if we need to be reminded of the legality of fansubs! I see this as nothing more than a kick in the shin to the fans with the most honest intentions of purchasing the R1 DVDs by attempting to force them through psychology into eschewing the fansubs.

A more concise analysis would be, "We are Bandai-Namco. We understand that the Haruhi DVDs are not out yet, but stop watching the fansubs now...or else".

Except, what is this "or else"? Attempting to choke the very lifeline that helped give birth to the popularity of this series in the first place ('biting the hand that feeds one') would only stifle further growth, which would almost certainly be inflamed as the time for the DVD purchase draws ever closer.

As such, I see this latest video as not only a waste of time, but an insult and a threat to the anime fandom for The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. My allegiance and faith in Bandai has been put into question, although it has yet to be derailed; provided 'messages' like this are not continued in the future, they would likely still have me as a certain customer in the next few months.

On a related note, I am surprised that the voice actor cast was not announced, which is quite interesting, because the only pivotal point on which I might be disuaded from purchasing the DVDs is as to who was cast as Itsuki and Kyon. If a certain two individuals that I currently frown upon were slotted into those roles, I would have to reconsider whether or not saving up some money for a DVD that would likely annoy me is worth my invested time, effort, and funds.

tl;dr
Kouji

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:35 am Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
In sum, if Kyon's voice actor sucks, I won't shell out any money for the DVDs.
Or you could just, you know, switch the language options to Japanese and turn on the subtitles. Oh but wait, you're paying for something you've already seen before for free. Who in their right mind would do something crazy like that? Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4