• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ninja Scroll DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:24 am Reply with quote
ganzo wrote:
There too many words, I can't read them anymore. But ninja scroll rocked when it came out years ago, and maybe I didn't realize it was a classic years ago, but after these years, the fact that I still remeber the film well with vivid images in my head does prove this film has endured to be a classic through time.

And DVD release was no surprise to me, because I know there are people who loved it, and digitalize it was just the right thing to do. Yet I don't see much difference from dvd versiona and the old vhs version( as in visual clarity). And when I rewatched it I was surprise at how solid and awsome this piece of work is.

For ones who complain about the gore and sex in the film, I do think its time to stop the complain and stop watching this type of anime if you already know you don't like it and there are good anime that is more suitable to you such as works from ghibli and disney.

I dont have the pictures on me, but there are some comparisons of the Region 3, region 2 and old Region 1 release. The new R1 release looks fantastic compared to the old one (in fullscreen non-shopped though), but it would have looked much nicer if manga didn't throw eight tracks on the disc, six being completely useless.

also, way to ressurect such an old thread.
cuteunit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:00 am Reply with quote
Necro rise on the topic but it's "new to me" as it were..

Anyways. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THE TWITTERRING PRAT that wrote this review? He condemns the hell out of Ninja Scroll and violent anime in general in favor of the "angst for tweens" material like Naruto?

Ninja scroll (the movie of course...) is a BEAUTIFUL piece of MATURE work. The violence is there to illustrate the horror of the setting rather than being gratuitous. The minor sex is there for the same reason, and in the case of the primary female character Kagero it plays a role in defining her tragic character.

Exploitative of women? Is the guy who wrote this one of those pratts whose hackles raise when he sees a nipple? Did he seriously lump NS into the same category as something like LA Blue Girl? Ugh.

This article is "fightin words" in my world. NS is in the holy pantheon of animated film to me. (spoiler) The death of Kagero near the end, and jubei's subsequent actions are one of the most emotionally moving scenes I've been presented in this form. (End Spoiler)

The original dub is one of the very few that does not offend the ears, as well. High praise as dubs go. When Jubei screams the name of his nemesis, I'm right there with him.

Ninja Scroll wouldn't have the lasting appeal the article author rightly attributes to it if it was just a mindless slash and tits piece.

I yearn for a day when the soil of 12 year old boys that modern Anime has sunk it's roots into dries up and a rennaisance of adult action drama returns in force to deliver me a worthy successor to Ninja Scroll.

I'm alientated by the seeming inevitability that every story shoveled out these days seems to be fueled by the angst and self doubt of the tweens. There is little for people in their twenties and thirties to enjoy in Anime lately. NS stands out as a story fueled by greed, honor, and authority. Adult concepts executed without resorting to genki girls and kids with magic talismans.

Not a single scene features a 14 yearold pedophile magnet going over ten iterations of "It's my fault" or "I'm not good enough" in monologue while his saucerplate eyes vibrate for five minutes of screentime. Blessed, blessed absence.

NS is what action anime SHOULD be.
magatsu17

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:13 am Reply with quote
I thought this review was rediculas as well. Anime is still very much bloody, violent, and exploitive towards women. To lay the blame of that at the feet of Ninja Scroll is crazy. Plus i don't think he gives it due credit for being a great movie. As far as action anime movies go, there are few that are as good even so many years later.
braves

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Why are you guys complaining about a 3 year old review? Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2