• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Looks like Ikigami *isn't* canceled. (Yet.)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tamaria

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:33 am Reply with quote
On the other hand, new Excel Saga in april.

You're the fan who screams 'canceled' just because a new volume wasn't announced yet. Here's the thing though, publishers rarely announce new volumes more than six months ahead. They just don't. If Viz makes you wait longer than a year, than yes, odds aren't in our favor anymore, but show some patience. So far Viz has been pretty decent about the series they did cancel. They announced their final volumes as the final volumes.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
On the other hand, new Excel Saga in april.

Yeah, and in just four more years, you'll be done. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
They announced their final volumes as the final volumes.

Not always.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:23 am Reply with quote
Examples? Recent ones I mean, this isn't 1999.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Reborn, Crimson Hero, Zatch Bell, Ichigo 100%...
Tamaria

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:48 am Reply with quote
If I recall correctly, they weren't officially canceled. According to Viz, these titles were put on hiatus. Which means there's a chance they will continue. Sure, it's not looking good, but who knows? Excel Saga was considered canceled by fans, but a new volume came out in April this year and another one is scheduled for next April.

You're not helping though. By yelling 'canceled!' everything a new volume takes its time, you're not exactly increasing the number of readers. In fact, you may be lowering it, especially when it turns into a rumor and starts to spread.
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:32 am Reply with quote
Zatch Bell was cancelled due to licence issues in Japan, and there was nothing Viz could do about it. As for Reborn, maybe if they'd had better translators, it might have sold better :/
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:00 am Reply with quote
Tamaria: Excel Saga was never considered canceled. Everyone's known it's been slowed down to a yearly release for a while now. And the only title confirmed for "hiatus" was Inubaka. Also, I'm not bringing this topic up for every title, just ones which clearly have a slow release which suggests that they might not be doing well.

owly: True, but they could have at least made the Zatch Bell thing official.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:59 am Reply with quote
Some people thought it was canceled around the beginning of this year. Then volume 22 popped up.

Quote:

Also, I'm not bringing this topic up for every title, just ones which clearly have a slow release which suggests that they might not be doing well.

Except dat it doesn't mean much, because titles on a slow schedule aren't exactly rare. Next time, instead of going all 'omg, it was canceled!', how about: "I haven't seen a new volume in a while, is something wrong?"

Quote:

owly: True, but they could have at least made the Zatch Bell thing official.

Wait, I think it was, actually! Didn't Jaymie say it says 'Final volume!' on the back of volume 25?
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:02 am Reply with quote
Tamaria: I noted another volume coming out around the same time they announced Excel Saga finishing its run.

Quote:
Next time, instead of going all 'omg, it was canceled!', how about: "I haven't seen a new volume in a while, is something wrong?"

I will, if I think it's a title not likely to be canceled. But Ikigami and IGIMAT seem like real contenders, especially in light of Kingyo not having continued in a while.

Quote:
Wait, I think it was, actually! Didn't Jaymie say it says 'Final volume!' on the back of volume 25?

I thought Viz was quiet on that one.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:00 am Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
You're not helping though. By yelling 'canceled!' everything a new volume takes its time, you're not exactly increasing the number of readers. In fact, you may be lowering it, especially when it turns into a rumor and starts to spread.

Tamaria has a point and I am actual proof of it. I read volume 5 of Ikigami for a website I review for and found it really interesting. I was planning to buy the rest of the series, until I saw this thread and decided that maybe I shouldn't bother. And so I haven't bought a single volume, though I had earlier intended to (and obviously will do so now that it's been proven to be jumping the gun with speculation).
ReaKon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:06 pm Reply with quote
As soon as I saw this original thread (after I had bought 2 volumes) and also read Tamaria's response, I knew this was complete speculation and unlikely. No offense intended Gatsu, but you do jump the gun a bit and assume the worst. As Tamaria said, just question it on here, and remember back on this when you think it with another series.

Quote:
Dammit, I threw out my old books 'cus I thought it was done

That was a little extreme. They are still enjoyable books even without continuation. Why don't you just hold on to them until you know for definite. Wink
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Well, ok. Sorry I jumped the gun. But it seemed plausible, given the fact that it was such a slow release. It might still even be legit, if Viz doesn't include it on its site. Again, I do remember Inubaka a few months ago, when I saw a listing for the new one on Amazon, but it wasn't in the company's catalog.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:53 am Reply with quote
Some publishers are a bit unreliable like that. The Dutch branch of Glénat takes the cake though. The releaselist on the website is inaccurate half of the time. So everyone just waits for the newsletter from a store called the De Poort. If they say it's coming, it's coming.

Plus, many publisher websites are designed to only show new releases up to 3-4 months in advance. Viz's website has that annoying list thing. I'm pretty sure they've got most of 2012 figured out and planned, but putting all those books on the releaselist would just clutter it up.
Aizen-sama

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I didn't even know volume 7 was out I just got rid of 1-6 because never thought they were going to finish releasing them. I did the same thing with MPD Psycho vol 10 just came out after a 2 year hiatus, but by then I've already lost interest in the series.
Genet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:55 pm Reply with quote
This is wonderful news.

I actually didn't end up buying the series after I'd heard it was canceled, but this is awesome!

Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3