• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
MAJOR MAJOR Naruto news!!!! (viz version)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:49 pm Reply with quote
One Volume I could see, but 3? Kinda drawing at straws.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:21 pm Reply with quote
If we see this pop up at more than one location, or just simply get The Right Stuf putting it on their website, then there's little reason to doubt that Viz will make the effort to putting three volumes out a month (which is unheard of).

Supposing this does go down, I'd feel sorry for Naruto fans not just on account of them suddenly having this much material thrown at them with only so much money to put out (presumably), but also because the translation and editing wouldn't be anywhere near as hot, I'd think.

HitokiriShadow wrote:
But One Piece, yeah, that series could really use a monthly (at least) release rate. As it stands, we'll still be getting new volumes 20 years from now.

Honestly I wouldn't mind it at all if Viz pulled One Piece from the rotation and just started releasing a new volume monthly, or heck, even once every two months. This three-four month schedule is far too ridiculous for a series of OP's length.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps, VIZ Media wants to blow off the Naruto craze and jump onto One Piece? Personally, I find the move...inane.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
Perhaps, VIZ Media wants to blow off the Naruto craze and jump onto One Piece? Personally, I find the move...inane.

They're sure as hell aren't going to find more success if that is their intended move. One Piece, even intact, isn't going to have the appeal of Naruto over here in North America (or Bleach, for that matter). I'd suspect that Naruto -- along with those Yu-Gi-Oh cards they give out -- are keeping the Shonen Jump serial afloat. Take those components away and you don't have as many sales.

It's a pain, since the few shounen series I actually have interest in, let alone collect, are all being released with a good schedule except for One Piece.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:55 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
If we see this pop up at more than one location, or just simply get The Right Stuf putting it on their website, then there's little reason to doubt that Viz will make the effort to putting three volumes out a month (which is unheard of).

Well, the latest trend in DVD's has been "Retailer Exclusives" where a DVD release could see 5 different "freebies" included with the DVD for various locations. What if it got misrepersented as being say, 3 different retailer exclusives like how Comic Boks have Variant Covers?

For example, Borders has one cover, Wal-mart has another, Rightstuf get's one....

Boy, that would be a crap idea.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't Viz distribute through S&S, or something like that?

It would seem a little more credible due to that, but 3 new volumes a month does make it me skeptical. Wouldn't that make the manga releases ahead of the serialization. What will happen to the serialization?
bahamut623

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
Doesn't Viz distribute through S&S, or something like that?

It would seem a little more credible due to that, but 3 new volumes a month does make it me skeptical. Wouldn't that make the manga releases ahead of the serialization. What will happen to the serialization?

Amazon might be wrong sometimes, but I think S&S would be more credible. And again, the fact that it's Naruto makes it a bit more believable than any other series.

It wouldn't catch up. If they do in fact go through with this, they would be at volume 27 by December. The three a month is only until December I think. Right on volume 28 is the timeskip. If they serialize from there at the usual slowish pace, they won't be in any danger of catching up since Naruto is currently at volume 37. So with a 10 volume lead in Japan, a consistent quarterly US release wouldn't catch up.
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I have been thinking about this and I don't think this would be permenant. Like I said before Viz probably wants to get the Shippuden story out there so if they show the fillers on TV people will know Shippuden is coming. What they will probably do is take Naruto out of Jump for those 4 months and in its place maybe give an extra chapter of One Piece or an extra chapter to each manga or whatever. Then after the manga ends with the part before the Time Skip then they will stop realesing 3 a month because the Shippuden story will be running in Jump. By doing this it can let people know the Shippuden story is coming like I said above and the manga will be ahead of the anime since every manga in Shonen Jump now is behind the anime or the anime is over. Hikaru no Go is the only manga ahead of the anime in Jump. Viz has to do something or many many more years they are going to have their manga way behind the anime. Having the 3 vol a month isn't a problem for me at all thats only like $22 a month, but I really only see this for a few months and them stopping when it gets to the Shippuden story.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:37 am Reply with quote
Ichigo77 wrote:
I have been thinking about this and I don't think this would be permenant. Like I said before Viz probably wants to get the Shippuden story out there so if they show the fillers on TV people will know Shippuden is coming.

I think a return to the "Naruto Heck" age is something fans don't want to do - that is, have the manga get ahead of the anime. This move makes no sense considering this, since we'll just arrive at Shippuden in the manga faster, meaning the anime will be in limbo for the next couple years.

If VIZ Media skips the filler season, they'll have a lot of worthless episodes and less material to dub - Shippuden only just started. So, yeah, this is a weird policy change - I agree that it won't be permanent, though. VIZ Media will likely run out of manga. >_>;

Last edited by Malintex Terek on Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
smoochy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:27 am Reply with quote
I don't know what to think of this. It might suck for those who can't put out twenty-four dollars a month for Naruto, but I have more money then I have spare time, so its not really going to bother me.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Well, the latest trend in DVD's has been "Retailer Exclusives" where a DVD release could see 5 different "freebies" included with the DVD for various locations. What if it got misrepersented as being say, 3 different retailer exclusives like how Comic Boks have Variant Covers?

For example, Borders has one cover, Wal-mart has another, Rightstuf get's one....

The day a manga publisher starts looking to the early 90's comic book market for business advice is that we know we're in trouble. I know Viz can be a bit slow on these kind of things, but I really hope they have more sense than that.

Quote:

They're sure as hell aren't going to find more success if that is their intended move. One Piece, even intact, isn't going to have the appeal of Naruto over here in North America (or Bleach, for that matter). I'd suspect that Naruto -- along with those Yu-Gi-Oh cards they give out -- are keeping the Shonen Jump serial afloat. Take those components away and you don't have as many sales.

Most of the people buying Shonen Jump are fairly devoted fans; the more casual ones contribute to the horrendously large TPB sales. I'm not exactly up-to-date on the whole Yu-gi-oh craze, but I don't think they're including cards with the magazine anymore either. Even without Naruto it'll do fine.
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:

I think a return to the "Naruto Heck" age is something fans don't want to do - that is, have the manga get ahead of the anime. This move makes no sense considering this, since we'll just arrive at Shippuden in the manga faster, meaning the anime will be in limbo for the next couple years.

How is it bad to have the manga ahead of the anime, that is how it is supposed to be.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked HOLY CRAP!!!!! 3 volumes a month!?

I mean, seriously, that's WAY too much. I mean, it's not really a problem for me personally, but I just think that it's kind of overdoing it a little. I think It'd be a lot better for them to just release 1 volume a month. They'd still get through to Shippuuden just fine if they did that. And it would probably be at about the same time as the fillers started up in the anime as well. But of course, that's just a very rough estimate of mine.

I'm thinking there was just some sort of typo or something, like they meant to say 1 per month instead of 3 per month.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Ichigo77 wrote:

How is it bad to have the manga ahead of the anime, that is how it is supposed to be.

>>that is how it is supposed to be.

'lol, wut'? VIZ Media has made a lot of money by keeping the manga's pace steady with the anime, so people who read the manga but don't go online are entertained over a long period of time.

Longevity is the key; if a corporation blows all its resources in one sitting, they could potentially make less money than if they staggered the flow of their products. That is, VIZ won't explode the Naruto volumes like this unless they believe Naruto's return in the future isn't as much as a return right now.

So, this is a bad sign for Naruto fans, not necessarily a good one. How annoying is it for people to wait months and months for one new volume, but to do it according to Kishimoto's schedule and not VIZ's? Naruto lacks the clout and hype of Harry Potter, so instead of just building up anticipation, people will move on to better stuff and forget the series.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I was on the walmart website and they have the same 3 volume schedule per month set up

Kagemusha wrote:

Most of the people buying Shonen Jump are fairly devoted fans; the more casual ones contribute to the horrendously large TPB sales. I'm not exactly up-to-date on the whole Yu-gi-oh craze, but I don't think they're including cards with the magazine anymore either. Even without Naruto it'll do fine.

haha you obviously haven't read Shonen Jump lately. They have free Yu-Gi-Oh cards at least every other month.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4