• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Witchblade Win it before you can Buy it.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:37 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
psycho 101 wrote:
You ought to be reading the comics now JG as Sara's got a baby in the oven and it's rumored that the Darkness may be the father. Plus a new bearer for the Witchblade too. I have the entire Witchblade comic line including all appearances in related Top Cow lines, spin offs, one time specials, and any other special they've done along with several rare prints signed and sealed and numbered. Bit of a comic fanboy. The only collection larger then this I have is my Lady Death collection.

Wow, there's actually someone in these forums who's as big a Witchblade fanboy as I am. I, too, have every single Witchblade appearance in either an original or reprint, even the cross-company cross-overs.

Have to disagree with jgreen on the live-action TV series, though. Given the budget and practical limitations they had to work with on the special effects, I thought it was actually done pretty well. Certainly far better than any Japanese live-action adaptation of a manga that I've seen.

Sara Pezzini and Lady Death were my two crushes growing up lol. Two of my prized possessions are a signed copy of Witchblade #5 by Michael Turner and Witchblade #69 (right issue I think) by Dave Nestler. Got the one by Turner online but I met Nestler myself at Baltimore Comic Con a few years ago. Very cool. I agree that the series could have been better. However, they did have a low budget and this is not like if Spiderman suddenly had a tv series. I mean everyone knows who Sppirderman is while most didn't know about Witchblade. For what they had to work with I think they did a decent job. Could have been better, but it could have been worse (like the original Hulk tv show).
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:13 am Reply with quote
Whatever happened to the last contest? It's been so long now, I don't even remember which series it was for, but they never released a winners list, to my knoweldge, like they said they would at the time... oh well.

Here's hoping I win this. I watched the first couple episodes fansubbed back when this first came out, and liked it enough to want to buy it, but I'm kinda shallow-pocketed right now... *fingers crossed*
halfadeckshort

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:26 am Reply with quote
lheiskell wrote:
This release has back.

Lance Heiskell
Your Friendly Neighborhood FUNimation Guy

If the reps aren't enthused, then how are the rest of us supposed to get excited about this release?

Wink

The 25th is going to be a dark day for my wallet.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:50 am Reply with quote
halfadeckshort wrote:
lheiskell wrote:
This release has back.

Lance Heiskell
Your Friendly Neighborhood FUNimation Guy

If the reps aren't enthused, then how are the rest of us supposed to get excited about this release?

Wink

The 25th is going to be a dark day for my wallet.

Are you being sarcastic, or did you misunderstand his statement, or did I misunderstand you? I can't tell.
Because I read that to mean, "this series is the SH*T!", so it looks like a good thing to me. Very Happy
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What's more, prizes will be shipped on September 18th and 19th, so the winners should receive their DVDs a whole week, or more, before Witchblade is released to stores on September 25th.

Confused so how exactly would this work? Time-Warp-Mail?

the funny thing is that I've already seen Witchblade vol. 1 on the shelf on my local FYE, and they were even playing it on their TVs. I was thinking about staying and watching it a little, but standing in a store looking up for awhile just sounded too unappealing to me Wink

I still entered the contest though...
halfadeckshort

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:52 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:

Are you being sarcastic, or did you misunderstand his statement, or did I misunderstand you? I can't tell.
Because I read that to mean, "this series is the SH*T!", so it looks like a good thing to me. Very Happy

I think the winking emoticon in my previous post needs to be a little bigger... that, or I need to work on my sarcasm. Lance's obvious enthusiasm for the show in various posts here and over at AOD have helped push Witchblade into my "buy" queue. The release, and Masane, indeed have much back. And the front isn't too bad either.... Wink
amannin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:20 am Reply with quote
...glad i caught this before it was too late.

how many prizes are going to be given out?

EDIT: woops, apparently 5
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:03 am Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:

Sara Pezzini and Lady Death were my two crushes growing up lol. Two of my prized possessions are a signed copy of Witchblade #5 by Michael Turner and Witchblade #69 (right issue I think) by Dave Nestler.

See, Psycho, this is why I'll never buy the loli-defense line from you.

I mean, you prefer your cartoon women to look like hot girls rather than little girls.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Aww... I didn't win.

Congratulations to the winners!

(Plus, re-check the article. It says the bonus prizes are Beck 1 and Glass Fleet 1, but on the list doesn't have Beck 1 but Glass Fleet 2. Which is it?)
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Damn, oh well. And they added more stuff too! Mr. Green I would of really appreciated this too as I will end up getting all of this stuff anyway. But I guess we can't break the trend of never winning anything, EVER!

Just curious, would ANN be willing to release the number of total entries for this contest, or is that property of FUNimation?

Congrats to all the winners out there!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
amannin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:42 pm Reply with quote
if there are only 5 copies, how are there 6 winners?

also, i too would like to know how many people entered if possible -- i can only imagine how many hits the website gets, let alone all the people who entered to win Shocked
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:36 pm Reply with quote
congrats to the winner but...its odd they're all boys. Oh well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CloakBass

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:14 pm Reply with quote
```````````````

Last edited by CloakBass on Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Doh... me no win...

Oh well, guess I'll have to wait til I can afford to buy it....

Congrats to the winners! Anime hyper
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:34 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
However, they did have a low budget and this is not like if Spiderman suddenly had a tv series. I mean everyone knows who Sppirderman is while most didn't know about Witchblade. For what they had to work with I think they did a decent job. Could have been better, but it could have been worse (like the original Hulk tv show).

Actually, if you weren't a fan of the comic book (and I wasn't), the Witchblade mini-series was really pretty good -- it's what sparked my interest in the anime.

As for Spiderman, there was a TV series back in 1978 (The Amazing Spider-Man) and it was AWFUL (and quickly cancelled). In comparison The Incredible Hulk was a masterpiece.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3