• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Warner Bros., Weinstein to Release AstroBoy, Gatchaman

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
testorschoice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:01 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
testor:
Quote:
Proof, please.

It was shorter than the original series.

That doesn't make it a disappointment. It would be a disappointment if they wanted it to be longer than a year, but if they planned it to be a year in the first place, then it isn't.

Quote:
Quote:

So you admit that the standard for AstroBoy are higher than, Metropolis for example.

Yes, but I don't doubt that the cost for Metropolis meant at least a similar standard of return.

As long as you admit it. Smile

Quote:
Quote:
That shows hardcore fandom, not mainstream financial success.

So by that logic, One Piece is doing better than Naruto. Rolling Eyes

Uh, yes, it is doing better in Japan. Smile

Quote:
Quote:
Funny. You first tried to cast the new remake in a bad light by comparing it to the 1980 remake. When it's pointed out that they fared relatively the same, now you think the 1980 remake ain't so hot.

The expectations for the 1980 remake weren't as high as they were for the 2003 remake, because the 1980 remake was meant to explore different ideas Tezuka had for the series, not to be a success.

Proof please.

Quote:
Quote:
$136.3 million domestic, and an international take that's still growing? I think they'll be happy with that.

Too bad it cost $140 million.

So it makes back most of its costs in domestic, gets free and in the clear from the international take, and gets DVD profits as icing on the cake. I think they'll be happy with that outlook. Smile

Quote:
Quote:
Uh, are you saying that the worldwide, cross-demographic recognition of AstroBoy is at the level of Stardust, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, or Bratz?

World-wide, yes. Maybe Japan and the U.S. would be slightly higher, but the Europeans would be more likely to see a cg version of Asterix than Astroboy.

Uh, worldwide includes that big continent known as Asia.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:09 pm Reply with quote
testor:
Quote:
It would be a disappointment if they wanted it to be longer than a year, but if they planned it to be a year in the first place, then it isn't.

It's a disappointment, because it came and went with little fanfare. If it was an OVA, it'd be a different story.

Quote:
Uh, yes, it is doing better in Japan.

That must be why that last movie flopped. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Proof please.

Astroboy Essays.

Quote:
So it makes back most of its costs in domestic, gets free and in the clear from the international take, and gets DVD profits as icing on the cake.

The profit is only a fraction of that of the last two films, which also cost less.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:04 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
testor:
Quote:
It would be a disappointment if they wanted it to be longer than a year, but if they planned it to be a year in the first place, then it isn't.

It's a disappointment, because it came and went with little fanfare. If it was an OVA, it'd be a different story.

I didn't ask for your opinion. I asked for proof. Smile

Quote:
Quote:
Uh, yes, it is doing better in Japan.

That must be why that last movie flopped. Rolling Eyes

Uh, as mentioned in another thread, manga is the mainstay for some franchises--specifically One Piece. Its manga still outsells Naruto's, and its television series still has 70% more audience than Naruto's. The sale of one volume of One Piece (2.84 million * 410 yen) still grosses more than the last One Piece or Naruto movie. And about four volumes come out a year.

Quote:
Quote:
Proof please.

Astroboy Essays.

Quote, please. It doesn't state what you claim it states.

Quote:
Quote:
So it makes back most of its costs in domestic, gets free and in the clear from the international take, and gets DVD profits as icing on the cake.

The profit is only a fraction of that of the last two films, which also cost less.

But it is still profitable, and going up. Smile (You do realize that it hasn't opened in some countries, and opened in others just this month, right?)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2