• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - I Am the NHK

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mmmdraco

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I should really send in a picture of *my* shelves. 600+ volumes of manga, 200+ volumes of anime, at least 50 Gundam models, tons of random figures (all MiB), and almost every "light novel" released in the US, yaoi and otherwise. And then you should see my cosplay collection, and the Naruto gingerbread men that I made and had preserved... but I just moved 2 months ago and everything is still pretty much packed away.

(I find it funny that 90% of the time when I come to read this column, I've already seen at least a bit of everything being discussed. I'm not that fond of NHK, or Witchblade, but I'm a secret Rumbling Hearts devotee, as well at GTO.) For whatever reason, I just remembered that at least 20 of my anime DVDs are in Iraq being watched by a unit of guys in the army. They've got Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, and... Fushigi Yuugi. Funnily enough, last I heard? They were liking FY the best.
kizzmequik_74

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:04 pm Reply with quote
mmmdraco wrote:
They've got Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, and... Fushigi Yuugi. Funnily enough, last I heard? They were liking FY the best.

Now, THAT's strange. o_0 Ufufufufufu...

Anyway, these are probably some of the prettiest, and best organized shelves on shelf obsessed, I suppose. Must have been pricey... And makes me wish I had some decent shelves to neatly arrange my stuff in... Anime cry

And seriously, the display cases for the figures totally look like a store's display case. Plainly awesome.

Welcome to the NHK? Maybe I'll check it out. I read some of the manga a while back, and found it quite interesting.

Finally, GTO is the bomb, yo.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...(I'm crossing my fingers for a better version of Marmalade Boy)

I may be wrong, but didn't the Tokyopop license expire for Marmalade Boy? I thought I read somewhere that Funi wasn't going to re-release MB because of the expiration.
irishninja

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:25 am Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
Forget the Yodobashi song, now I'm gonna have the My Little Pony theme stuck in my head...

You mean, this theme?
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:28 am Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
And hey, there's pinky street dolls in the 3rd picture! I love pinky street dolls! Very Happy

Did you noticed the Range Murata one in the middle? Because I sure did! Anime hyper

As for my comments, I was surprised to see Tekkonkinkreet in the rental section because of all the good things I've heard about it. Even if it's only for the animation, I still want to see it anyway. I've also been convinced to watch NHK, which I've been a little sceptical about. I loved Genshiken, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mylene

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:47 am Reply with quote
mmmdraco wrote:
For whatever reason, I just remembered that at least 20 of my anime DVDs are in Iraq being watched by a unit of guys in the army. They've got Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, and... Fushigi Yuugi. Funnily enough, last I heard? They were liking FY the best.

That statement completely makes my day for whatever reason.

Ranma824 wrote:
I may be wrong, but didn't the Tokyopop license expire for Marmalade Boy? I thought I read somewhere that Funi wasn't going to re-release MB because of the expiration.

You're mostly right. Only the license for the first 24 episodes has expired. Shame too, because I couldn't afford Marmalade Boy back during the TP release, and now that I can (and have purchased the manga), it's not really available. Sad I watched part of the series via rental, but given how many episodes there were per disc and the fact that the shop was 1-night only rentals, I never got past the first 14 episodes or so. I may love more episodes per disc now, but back in my non-Netflix rental days, they were highly problematic.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:14 am Reply with quote
mmmdraco wrote:
For whatever reason, I just remembered that at least 20 of my anime DVDs are in Iraq being watched by a unit of guys in the army. They've got Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, and... Fushigi Yuugi. Funnily enough, last I heard? They were liking FY the best.

That is completely awesome. Did you donate your DVDs or do you have a friend out there that you sent them to?
VEGANDARAE

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:41 am Reply with quote
HEY!

Does this mean that GTO gets a new cast or will it all stay the same?

i own ALL of the Original Marmalade Boy ultimate scrapbooks, i watch this series at least twice a year, still very good each time i watch it.
halfadeckshort

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:52 am Reply with quote
VEGANDARAE wrote:

The contents of the DVDs are the same, Funimation is just doing the packaging and distribution.
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
As for my comments, I was surprised to see Tekkonkinkreet in the rental section because of all the good things I've heard about it. Even if it's only for the animation, I still want to see it anyway.

I'd put it in rental, too. Even fans of the film like me admit to its having significant pacing issues. It's absolutely worth watching, though, for the visual side of things. I can't recall the last time so many auteurs in animation came together to work on one film and the results are extraordinary. It's pretty much an animator's dream film in terms of art and animation. Shinya Ohira FTW!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
VEGANDARAE

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:03 pm Reply with quote
halfadeckshort wrote:
VEGANDARAE wrote:

The contents of the DVDs are the same, Funimation is just doing the packaging and distribution.

that's good news!

and do they still have Marmalade Boy in the works?
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Now that it's gotten the Bamboo seal of approval, I'll have to pick up Welcome to the NHK. I've heard a lot of good things about it (story-wise at least, some say the animation is awful) and I'm quite find of trips into the mouth of madness. This positive review just makes it a near certainty I'll enjoy this one too.

I've got zero interest in Tekkonkinkreet, but I am planning to eventually pick up Witchblade. I watched the first few episodes fansubbed awhile back, from the sounds of it the same episodes are on the first disc, and while I didn't think it was the best, I enjoyed it enough. Rihoko, the daughter, appealed to me more than Masane though. Clever and cute without being just another anime waif. Fanservice level is high too.

Plus with Jamie Marchi and Carrie Savage as the leads in the English dub, I expect to be quite pleased with the performances.

Ah, Bamboo, you earn my eternal loyality for promoting Rumbling Hearts, quite possibly the best romantic drama anime I've ever seen. A few glaring issues aside (translations for a certain children's book would have been good Funimation!) it's one of the best titles they've released in my opinion.

Although I am an English dub fan, thus somewhat biased, I still feel confident in saying that Rumbling Hearts has some of the best performances ever by it's cast. Leah Clark especially, even though she isn't one of the big three characters, stands out. Extremely talented actress.

It's one heck of a fantastic drama and I think you'd have to have ice water for blood not to be moved by it at times. (I wish the sales were as fantastic as the series so Funimation would license the related anime series.)

Anyway, it's another great column from our goddess of cosplay.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
I'd put it in rental, too. Even fans of the film like me admit to its having significant pacing issues.

You mean like me and Naruto? I kid. Laughing I'm trying to watch more variety, so it really doesn't matter to me if it's not perfect. Most likely, I won't even notice any issues unless I outright don't like it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Iconoclast

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm so excited to pick up Tekkonkinkreet. Even with all the disappointing things I keep hearing about the story, I need to see it. I just love the manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
domino

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I liked what I've seen of Welcome to the NHK, but cover art like that makes me resist buying even the best of shows. I wish companies would keep the fanservice off the box art. I'm picky like that. :\

I also think it fails at conveying what the series is actually about. I would've never watched the show if I first saw it in a store looking like that. Generic "look, everyone, a hot chick in a skimpy outfit!" cover art drives me away from a show immediately.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4