• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Geneon USA President & CEO Sends Message to Fans

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heretic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:03 am Reply with quote
I'm just grateful someone from Geneon said SOMETHING . At least they are aware of our concerns and are looking into possible resolutions for their current situation. I had a strong feeling they were, but it's good for them to tell us they are.

I think given the current situation, the news about BL: The Second Barrage is good.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:15 am Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
Quote:
As Geneon evolves.....

That made me laugh. There's not a whole lot of "evolution" going on with them at this point.

Hahaha!!! Gotta laugh at the way you say that.

Well, this is semi-good news. That means there is a chance for some of the recent and newer titles to be finished or begin release. But it's still up in the air on how this will work. I'm just happy that they'll be finishing 'Second Barrage'. I guess I'll work on getting that next year. Which is a good choice for me since I don't know how the release schedule is going to go down. I finally received my 'Black Lagoon LEs for the first series so I'm a happy camper.

Y'know I came across something funny. I was reading through this month's issue of 'Newtype USA'. I happen to notice all the 'Geneon' ads. I saw the large ad for 'Rozen Maiden ~ Traumend', the first season of 'Higurashi' and a smaller upcoming ad for 'Second Barrage'. I had to utter a chuckle and shake my head from the "irony". After hearing all this stuff about 'Geneon' which was announced 2 weeks ago (1 week if you compare the time Newtype USA hits the streets or gained through subscriptions) I wondered what was going to happen next. Would 'Geneon' still find a way to deliver on those titles they started as well as others. Hell, last month's issue had 'Saiunkoku' on the cover. Which has just only been announced. I continued to shake my head as I passed it everyday. So I thought the only solution that 'Geneon' could do was to try and find a way to finish up the titles that had already started, plus stuff on it's way of being finished. If there are any new titles that have been considered or haven't been announced to just let them go. But finish up what's in the works if they can. And that should take care of everything. It's just a thought.

It's really a shame. And the reason I this whole deal bothered me because of 'Geneon' (formerly Pioneer, but Pioneer still exists) had been around for so long. 'Tenchi' all over the place, 'El Hazard' 'Armitage III' (with dub by 'Elizabeth Berkley) the stupid 'ANI-MAYHEM card game my "ex" worked on and the small scandal of the person over seeing the job almost running away with the money. So many memories...
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:26 am Reply with quote
This is good news, I suppose. I'm hoping they find a distributor sooner rather than later, but it's good to hear that work is at least continuing on their titles.

700th post
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:42 am Reply with quote
Isn't it the old ones that can't change sometimes?
Look at the old catalog stores. Sears, Montgomery Ward, JC PEnney--all struggled badly in the 1980's as they tried to change from the old way of doing business to the new. Sears survived as did JC Penney (both went thru very shakey times), but Wards died.
Dinosaurs die out so yeah, evolve IS the way to go. If Geneon USA can survive this somehow intact as a merger with someone else or anything then yeah, they would have evolved again as they did from their days as Pioneer. If they don't, then they're extinct.

As much as I loved Geneon products, they did have an poor understanding of the American buyers. Hopefully that was their Japanese parent company's doing & should the American side pull something off, maybe they can start offering more what the American buyers want (if not more eps per disk because, frankly others like ADV give us 7 dvd seasons when they think they can get away with it, then how about some extras? Throw in some of the extras from the Japanese releases.)

But I note all the continued work seems to be on guy titles. No word of Saiunkoku, Shonen Onmyoji or Kyo Kara Mao which was only a few dvds away from finished. I'm maybe a bit more disappointed on Shonen Onmyoji than I thought I'd be consicering how great the title looks. USually they give us gals some nicely drawn bishies & don't waste much on the effects, but Shonen Onmyoji is impressing me as much as when I wsa first watching InuYasha or Jing. There's some good animation effects being used for once in my gal title
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:56 am Reply with quote
slow net today, click the back button by mistake.
see next post

Last edited by rankothefiremage on Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:00 am Reply with quote
This slightly decent news, 3 of the 5 shows i really want to know about are still in the works, now if i chould just hear when i can get the remaining Higu and Rozen DVDs everthing would be cool.

Ya know why didn't Geneon just spin off their "Production" division into another company and keep doing work with it? Like the Ford-Visteon spilt.

-Gabe
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:04 am Reply with quote
at least we know Second Barrage isn't in jeopardy. that was the main thing that had me worried.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:25 pm Reply with quote
it look like get to watch bl:sb and maybe the rest of many series they start to release Laughing now wait and see who release them and how long it take and hope it not a year from now to get to watch many series that I start to get
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
we are internally discussing plans to explore all available options to continue distribution of Geneon titles, both old and new, at a later date.

It would have been nice to have had some certain(as in titles they absolutely plan to continue) examples (ballpark time frames) given of what a later date will be. But I guess that is just wishful thinking.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Quote:
we are internally discussing plans to explore all available options to continue distribution of Geneon titles, both old and new, at a later date.

It would have been nice to have had some certain(as in titles they absolutely plan to continue) examples (ballpark time frames) given of what a later date will be. But I guess that is just wishful thinking.

The entire paragraph, particularly the "if any" at the end, really made me wonder if they actually said anything at all. Responding to customers' concerns about the future availability of your product line by shrugging your shoulders and saying "we will think about it" does not address them. Saying "we are talking amongst ourselves and looking into all possibilities" is nothing more than PR drivel meaning stop complaining and leave us alone.

Until we get something more substantial (such as "Your volume 4 is now shipping and here is the tracking number") there should be no expectation beyond still needing that new black suit/dress.
.hacker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Even though this information isn't a definite answer on the state of the unfinished series, this is the first word that Geneon is still has hopes of finishing the series. It is much better than the last announcement from Geneon about leaving the market.

I really hope for Higurashi and Karin to be finished. Because of this annoucement, I believe we will known about the state of all of the unfinished series before the end of the year.
tlsmith1963

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Did they ever release Hellsing Ultimate Vol. 3, because I couldn't find it the other day.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:59 pm Reply with quote
tlsmith1963 wrote:
Did they ever release Hellsing Ultimate Vol. 3, because I couldn't find it the other day.

Check out the AnimeCornerStore: http://www.animecornerstore.com/heul.html

If anything's been released, they have it. Their prices aren't always the best, but their selection and service sure are. However, they generally sell and ship stuff as soon as they get it even if the release date is a couple of weeks off, so it's possible that they have it but that the release date hasn't quite arrived yet and most stores aren't selling it yet.
Heretic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Hellsing Ultimate volume 3 streets later this month (16th or 23rd I can't remember). Luckily my copy has been shipped and is on the way.
Zilan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:16 pm Reply with quote
I just hope I get to finish Karin and Rozen Maiden. It would totally blow if I don't get to. I have both the boxes for them. Sad

I was really hyped about Zero no tsukaima, then when I heard the news I about cried. ><

But oh well, looks like they're still working on it. Hopefully we'll see it here soon. But maybe not. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but I just can't help it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8