• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Oreimo Complete Limited Edition DVD Box Sub.DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:32 am Reply with quote
When does this come out on DVD in the US? I searched Amazon for "Oreimo" and only came up with the import version. Do I need to enter the full title?
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:51 am Reply with quote
vashthekaizoku wrote:
When does this come out on DVD in the US? I searched Amazon for "Oreimo" and only came up with the import version. Do I need to enter the full title?

You can buy it only at Bandai and Rightstuf. The link to both stores is at http://www.aniplexusa.com/oreimo/

I really really hope there's a US bluray in future.
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:07 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
vashthekaizoku wrote:

You can buy it only at Bandai and Rightstuf. The link to both stores is at http://www.aniplexusa.com/oreimo/

I really really hope there's a US bluray in future.

Oh ok. I buy most of my anime from Amazon, so that was the first place I looked.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:08 am Reply with quote
TheSwedishElf wrote:
spoiler[I have to respectfully disagree. I saw a few episodes and was far from pleased. Incest-themed audience draw and terrible fanservice aside, I can't stand how the main theme of the show is basically "EVERYONE LOVE AND FEEL SORRY FOR THE POOR ABUSED OTAKU", or the fact that the lead guy ended up an otaku himself as if to further glorify such a lifestyle, and I hate tsundere characters with a passion, Kirino included. This show was thoroughly unenjoyable.]
spoiler[And what's with the one girl who constantly sprouts dog ears and a tail? Were they trying to appeal to furries, or is this some insulting statement about women that only a Japanese person would get?

]

1/10 for making me respond, really?? that copy pasta is old just old

Aside nice review and I liked the series.. even as fan of tsun characters that I am "the term is overused/abused so far" kirinio is actually made out worse in the anime than she is in the novels. If i didn't go back and read some of novels I wouldn't have believed it myself....due in part the anime adapt really made me hate her. The true route with the extra 4/5 episodes is what I came for in the set. Cr has the rest online for hd streaming.. however i wish there was blu-ray set.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FaytLein

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:13 am Reply with quote
vashthekaizoku wrote:

I do believe Oreimo streets by the 16th of October. That being said, I hope TRSI gets an early shipment in, I'm really looking forward to getting this sweet LE in the collection pit.
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:39 am Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
You should feel sorry to the otaku. Sure they are different but they still are people and should be treated fairly.

I lost all sympathy when I noticed the siblings' father is portrayed as a mean ol' badguy who we're all supposed to hate for being a hard-working Japanese man who can't stand those who knowingly and purposely contribute jack shit to society and shun a normal life in favour of an antisocial life revolving entirely around their hobby.

Keep in mind that "otaku" is not a good thing to call yourself in Japan. It's not a playful badge of honour that translates into "nerd".

Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
1/10 for making me respond, really?? that copy pasta is old just old

What copypasta, O Delusional One? What's wrong, you just that mad that I didn't like it?
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:50 am Reply with quote
TheSwedishElf wrote:

I lost all sympathy when I noticed the siblings' father is portrayed as a mean ol' badguy who we're all supposed to hate for being a hard-working Japanese man who can't stand those who knowingly and purposely contribute jack shit to society and shun a normal life in favour of an antisocial life revolving entirely around their hobby.

You do not have to contribute anything to society. Some people choose to be anti social. I though her dad was a dude who couldn't accept someone who choose a specific life style.

TheSwedishElf wrote:

Keep in mind that "otaku" is not a good thing to call yourself in Japan. It's not a playful badge of honour that translates into "nerd".

I do know what otaku means, you do not have to spell it out for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:00 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
What an entertaining review. As I read each sentence, I found myself nodding in agreement, especially of the appreciation of Kuroneko's role in the series. Yet, something seems off from making the review feel complete. I wonder what it is.

I know! Key is an only child, or at least, not a big brother.

Nope. Oldest of three, and the younger ones were both sisters. I was generally more self-centered at that age than Kyosuke is, and my sisters have always been independent-minded types, but there have definitely been times that I've looked out for/helped my sisters and I certainly never expected anything - not even familial love - in return for it; they were always "felt like what needed to be done" situations.

I can understand and sympathize with Kyosuke, though. He does what he does because he enjoys playing the Big Brother and perhaps wants Kirino to look up to him. He also, I think, realizes that getting through to her won't be easy and will require patience. I am saddened that the producers felt that they had to vaguely hint at an incest angle just to draw viewers in, as they had material plenty good enough to succeed with out it.

And no, I wouldn't turn down a Kuroneko figurine as a gift. She's one of my favorite supporting characters from the past few years. Cool

TheSwedishElf wrote:

I never saw the father as being mean or a bad guy. He actually seemed fairly reasonable and even Kyosuke admitted that at least some of his objections to Kirino's hobby were legitimate.

To address other matters:

*This is due out October 18th.

*I'm not convinced that this was ever intended to primarily be a raucous comedy. (Although certain parts do play out that way - some of the bits involving Sena, for instance.)

*I knew people would make at least some fuss over the writing grade that I gave the series, but this so far exceeded my expectations (especially with the "True Path" episodes tacked on) that I felt that giving it any lower would have been a disservice to the writing effort.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rensie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Really liked this show, and i'm wondering why, with all the original material available, they don't announce a second season. Sales of dvds/bds/novels are pretty high. Want more Oreimo.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Nope. Oldest of three, and the younger ones were both sisters. I was generally more self-centered at that age than Kyosuke is, and my sisters have always been independent-minded types, but there have definitely been times that I've looked out for/helped my sisters and I certainly never expected anything - not even familial love - in return for it; they were always "felt like what needed to be done" situations.

Kuroneko: Why do you do all these things for her?
Kyousuke: Because I'm her brother
Kuroneko: [moemode]....Must be nice... *sadface* [/moemode]

Quote:
I never saw the father as being mean or a bad guy. He actually seemed fairly reasonable and even Kyosuke admitted that at least some of his objections to Kirino's hobby were legitimate.

Indeed. I liked the way the father was portrayed, and how you can tell it's easier for him to accept his son as a worthless incest-chasing loser than it is to admit his perfect and flawless little angel is into that stuff. I also did like how they go "Yeah.. he has a point with a young girl having eroge... can't really refute that" My only complaint is I felt the confrontation was too early in the series; they should have pushed it back a few episodes.

I'm imagining we'll get a BD maybe in a year or two, possible, after Japanese sales die down and reverse-importing is less likely.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Oh? The OVA's are centered around Kuroneko and Kirino is completely absent from them? Well then, I guess I'll check those episodes out.
Count me amongst those who disliked Kirino completely. Like the review said, she was too aggressive and bitchy, to the point that I personally couldn't take it. It was funny when she was fighting with Kuroneko, but everything else was just... "I want to back-hand you!" Mad
I also felt that they ruined Ayase's character. Or maybe they just gave me a false expectation? I mean, spoiler[I liked how after that scene where Kyousuke and Kirino fall ontop of eachother and her clothes magically get lifted off of her as Ayase and that other girl walk in on them, Ayase has a 1-1 chat with him afterwards that was kind of sweet. Here I was thinking "Oh, this is kinda cute, they're sharing a cute little budding friendship."] But then later spoiler[they completely scratch that in favor of Kyousuke saying something creepy and Ayase turning against him and she becomes the girl who continually hits him.] *sigh*
machetecat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Anime hyper I LOVED this series.

I have a hard time hating Kirino, though. Mostly because she reminds me of my own younger sister in every way (minus the whole anime-obsessed thing. That was me). I could relate to both siblings throughout the story, and the topics and debates the series showed really resonated with me.

Also the fact that the incest was nearly non-existant outside of some jokes was such a relief.

Also, I don't think that Kyousuke really became an "otaku", he just found that maybe some of the anime his sister watched was more enjoyable than he thought. I highly doubt he'd go out and buy a bunch of DVDs or anything.

That aside, the show is one of my all-time favorites, and I can't wait for it to show up at my house.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:59 pm Reply with quote
machetecat wrote:
Anime hyper I LOVED this series.
Also, I don't think that Kyousuke really became an "otaku", he just found that maybe some of the anime his sister watched was more enjoyable than he thought. I highly doubt he'd go out and buy a bunch of DVDs or anything.

I agree he definitely can appreciate it but he's like my dad, he watches and does it because of her and wanting to connect with her on her level. they never once show him doing or choosing to spend his time doing something anime related if one of the two K's was not involved.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
The story gets an A-?

Oh Theron. Thank you for continuing to be so funny.

As for the show... I would buy the 'True Route' if it were separate, but there is no way I would own any part of the show where Kirino is involved. One of the worst leading female characters ever.

Amen to that. Even though the series takes a jab at her personality itself when Kirino calls a character in one of her games "100% tsun, 0% dere" and fails to recognize that she is exactly the same, I cannot invest myself in a series that has a lead character who is so abusive to the people who consistently protect her.

TheSwedishElf wrote:
And what's with the one girl who constantly sprouts dog ears and a tail? Were they trying to appeal to furries, or is this some insulting statement about women that only a Japanese person would get?

That's animation shorthand to demonstrate personality type. Loyal and playful I think is the idea it's generally meant to convey. (Also, kemonomimi is not furry)
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I actually just started this series recently. I have only seen 3 episodes so far, but am really liking it so far. I hope it get's a bluray at some point over here; I think that it may be enough to warrant a place on my shelf if it keeps up.

Am I a bad person for finding incest jokes hilarious?

Also I like Kirino pretty allright. I wouldn't put her among my favorite characters ever, but I don't have a problem with her. She is more Tsun than Dere though, but I have seen far more annoying characters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4