• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Uploads Entire Black Blood Brothers Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:41 am Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
And.. 2$ an episode would be a great value for digital episodes with a dub (you'd basically be cutting off 2-3$ per episode due to losing the physical media), but for a sub I've got to say it's just not that great IMO.

Well with that in mind they would need to sell about 4000 of these per episode, so thats about 48,000 payed for downloads total. And that would just pay for the dub and the dub only. And that's Not including bandwidth, subtitling, transfer, translation, and then whatever the Japanese will get from each download. I know everyone likes to engage in wishful thinking, and that's all this really is.

--------------------------------------------------------

I admit I don't know much about BBB. But from everyones reaction thus far, it seems like the show is, well, not so great. Although I think I remember cheers when they announced it, though I may be wrong about that. It seems the true test will be when they release a show in this fashion, in which there is already a very good chance that the DVD sales would be good regardless. Therefore if the subbed downloads still do well, aswell as DVD sales, then everyone should know it's working. Like a DBZ or another shoe-in hit. Or at least that there is high interest along with money backing up the mouths of the vocal minority.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:54 am Reply with quote
Well, I suppose you are right if they aren't planning on ever dubbing this at all, but if they are going to dub it for DVD in the long run anyway, that's money they will be spending either way, right?

I'm just speaking from a customer value perspective, not from the perspective of the business. I can see your point, but at the same time as a customer if I were interested in the show I'd have to wait for the dvds (keep in mind I'm generally a dub fan, I watch fansubs, but I do so for series I think have a hope of coming over here someday).

Actually I did think of another idea they could use to make this beneficial to customers. If the 2$ purchase of this could be used as a partial rebate against the dvds. Then I'm a little closer to seeing how this is of value.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:14 am Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
but if they are going to dub it for DVD in the long run anyway, that's money they will be spending either way, right?

Right.

But they are releasing all episodes now. They might end up having a dub version come out, but it will either cost more, or it will stay $2 but won't be available until well after the final volume is released. This is because they can recover the costs so much more quickly from DVD sales, assuming they sell them that is. In the end they would rather people buy the DVD for the dub, even if they later make it available for download.

From a consumer point of view, of course your right. More for less is always better. I myself like modern day dubs, so if I was interested in downloads I would like that option. But as a realist I can't expect such things.

I am interested in your rebate idea. Can you cite any examples of this being used in the past(with any online/real product)? And that the company didn't end up getting hosed by it's own rebate. How would that be set up. To me, it sounds like it would be easy to obtain the rebate even though you never downloaded it. But I might be confused.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
...and can only be downloaded from an Internet address in the United States.

Can someone explain to me why it is so complicated to also make it available in Canada as well? I mean They licence it for R1 distribution right? I get why they can't distribute it in other regions then. But why not Canada? If there is a reason I would love to know. Canada is part of R1 too and as such counts on the R1 companies as its anime distributor. When they exclude us from something like this it just comes off as a big F--- you to Canadians.
roujin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:34 am Reply with quote
It seems like a risky gamble but it's precisely this kind of experimentation that's needed if the R1 industry is going to survive in today's market.

I just wish they had picked a better anime...
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:22 am Reply with quote
This may help a bit concerning the recent growing concern of piracy/bootlegging anime. Only 20 something dollars for all 12 eps to download? Cool!
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:23 am Reply with quote
I've seen fansubs that look like they were clearly done as close to the original Japanese script as possible, and they read terribly. So no. They shouldnt.
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:28 am Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
If the companies were to just use the people who already have an interest in doing this and pay them a little, the costs would be next to nothing.

I believe there's a lot more cost involved than just cutting some fansubbers a check. There has to be a consideration of upfront/licensing costs for the show and any demands or restrictions that would be made from Japanese partners. I just don't see it being as simple and easy as you're making it out to be.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:19 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Can someone explain to me why it is so complicated to also make it available in Canada as well?
I've been curious about this as well. Are there some sort of telecommunications laws that are getting in the way of easy Canadian connection or some sort of actual mechanical/technological issues? Or is there some strange political situation?

I sort of doubt any of the companies doing downloads actually have a problem with Canada.
mike.motaku

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:23 am Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
This may help a bit concerning the recent growing concern of piracy/bootlegging anime. Only 20 something dollars for all 12 eps to download? Cool!

Well, as a record company executive recently commented re: the 10% drop in cd sales last year, "It's hard to compete with "free"."

A whole generation of fans is growing up never having had to pay for music, movies or anime, thanks to illegal file-sharing. Convincing them to start paying is gonna take a lot more than this.
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:33 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
I admit I don't know much about BBB. But from everyones reaction thus far, it seems like the show is, well, not so great. Although I think I remember cheers when they announced it, though I may be wrong about that.

I also don't know enough about the series to fairly evaluate its merits or lack thereof. My disinterest is just a matter of personal taste: any series whose one-paragraph synopsis contains the words "shounen", "fighting", and "vampires" is going to be a very hard sell for me. Smile But a lot of other people ARE into that sort of thing, and they would most likely be more enthused about this series.
jel123

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:51 am Reply with quote
Watched the BBB subs back when the series came out and kind of liked it but there did seem to be something missing.
If I were a windows user I probably would buy the download if for nothing more than to support the format.

Bob Loblaw wrote:
Xanas wrote:
If the companies were to just use the people who already have an interest in doing this and pay them a little, the costs would be next to nothing.

I believe there's a lot more cost involved than just cutting some fansubbers a check. There has to be a consideration of upfront/licensing costs for the show and any demands or restrictions that would be made from Japanese partners. I just don't see it being as simple and easy as you're making it out to be.

I think you are correct about the licensing costs - if an American company is doing it.

Why can't the Japanese companies do it before licensing? Make downloadable subs available concurrent with the TV release. A percentage of what they charge for the download could be put into escrow to be given to the eventual licensor.

If a series gets a lot of (paid) downloads then it would be more attractive to a potential licensor. The cash in escrow would be compensation for having the series "pre-released". In addition to the normal DVD and related merchandise the licensor also takes over the online distribution and starts to collect the full download fee.
Everybody wins! Wink

Of course if the Japanese companies started doing this they may decide that licenses are superfluous and direct marketing is the way to go. After all the whole R1, R2... thing is just an artificial DVD restriction Twisted Evil
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Bob Loblaw wrote:
Xanas wrote:

I'm aware of the licensing issues too, but I avoided them because

1) as said elsewhere this could be the Japanese doing this directly. According to others they need us to buy anime for their industry to survive (is this true of Hollywood?) and at least they would be making the subscription fees or what-not.

2) One would hope the Japanese could be reasonable if another company was doing this, and have them pay a percentage of earnings instead of some flat rate for an experiment.

I just honestly don't see how 2$ an episode for no dvd, no dub, no extras is a deal. Sure, you pay less, but you get substantially less. As far as the rebate idea goes, one would have to use some kind of verification for the download purchase that would again be used to get the rebate after the real purchase is validated.

I've heard this amount commonly in the forum as being a reason for people to stop watching fansubs. The issues are everyone wants to avoid the other advantages of fansubs.
1) No DRM - I can play it in Linux, which is my OS
2) 0 cost - except time, which encourages me to avoid what I think I would hate, but gives me a reason to try things I'm not sure about.
3) Generally higher quality video than paid-for services & karaoke effects
4) Comes out substantially sooner.

DRM can be eliminated by streaming services, and people might be willing to work with costs or even less quality, but the 4th I think is going to be your primary hurdle. People are going to question why they should be "patient" to accept less quality, more restrictions, and higher costs.

All this just adds up to mean that the only people who aren't going to completely ignore digital downloads are those who want to purchase them as "charity" to the anime companies. I've done this myself with Bost, accepting less quality, expirations, etc. I have my limits when I realize spending 20$ on 10 episodes could have gone to another dubbed dvd with extras, box art, etc.

When you consider that probably 90% of people downloading anime online these days are kids, even the 2$ is a big deal. They would have to use a parents credit card for that, and I don't know about you but I still know quite a few personally who don't like online transactions (I make fun of them Razz ). You have a point for those of us who are into adult-hood and have the money to spend, like myself. But I'm just not seeing it because I'd rather spend the money on a DVD. Maybe those not buying any DVDs will change? I hope so.
la_contessa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:34 pm Reply with quote
TsubomiKoneko wrote:
While personally I'm one of those people that likes having something on DVD, I think it would have been a wiser idea for them to lower the price of the DVDs (this is actually an argument my boyfriend had against the idea of having the episodes payable to download, he didn't think it was fair for people who buy the DVD to have to pay so much more... o.o and this was even before it actually happened... I should probably keep this news away from him)...

I initially agreed with your boyfriend, because $24 is a lot less than $75 (assuming you can get the DVD somewhere for $25, it's the middle ground between the typical $29.98 MSRP and Best Buy cost of $19.98). At the same time, though, you're getting a lot LESS then the people who buy the DVDs (no dub, no extras, maybe less quality, and maybe fewer rights), so I think you can argue to your boyfriend that you're paying less because you're getting less. I'm not sure whether or not I agree with the poster who suggested that $2/episode is still too much or not, but it IS a pretty big discount from $6-$7/episode on the DVDs.

Lowering the price of the DVDs for everyone may not allow the company to recoup the costs of dubbing and production and things, and people who don't buy the online version still benefit from its existance. What if the rebate idea, instead of for a free disc, was for $5-$10 dollars off EACH disc? i.e., spread the $24 out over all the discs? They're still moving the discs, and people who don't buy the online version still have to pay full price. I'm not sure how the rebate would work online (I would suggest an actual printable coupon or a coupon with a type-able code, instead of a rebate which involves postage costs), so maybe it would have to be a partnership with a specific store, online or brick and mortar.
Tenchi Kaze

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I actually kinda liked Black Blood Brothers when it was coming out, but I stopped watching it due to being busy with other things. I would actually really like to buy these download-subs to show my support for what Funi's doing, but there are two major obstacles in my way:

1) I'm a Mac user and don't fancy the idea of buying Windows and getting Bootcamp just to watch these episodes.
2) I'm a Canadian. I too would like to know what the heck is so hard about letting the other half of region 1 be able to access something that has been licensed for R1 distribution.

A third issue I have is with the DRM, since I just have issues with most DRM technology in general. I could conceivably let it slide, though, if those other obstacles didn't stand in my way. It wouldn't sit well with me, but I'd be willing to buy the files anyway to vote with my dollars and show my support for download-to-own.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3