• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Survey: DVD / BD Habits

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
dm wrote:
Why are they awful? They don't appreciably raise the manufacturer's costs (nor are they much more expensive than non-combo releases), and they increase the potential sales (I'd have thought --- looking at the results of the survey so far I guess I may be one of the few non-BD respondents).
The people who think they're awful are just the ones that either don't use BDs or don't use DVDs, so they feel no need for the other. That, or they hate how they tend to come in DVD sized packaging.

But from what I've heard, they seem to do well for the companies, so those people are just gonna have to deal. I doubt we'll see a stop to them, not that I mind.

Both of those points, yes. But as you said, clearly they're fulfilling market demand, and I've bought them myself (as I did for Ga-Rei: Zero).
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:44 pm Reply with quote
In the last question, the resolution choices should be:

Must have 720p or above
Must have 1080p

As it is, I just checked them both, meaning I am happy with either resolution (although, obviously, I would prefer the higher of the two).
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:48 pm Reply with quote
For the last question, I think true Full Screen should be an option.

As most streaming has true full screen, it isn't that much of a big deal to most.
However, as a true "must have" option, that's the only one I'd really like as a "must have"
I can live without it, and do for NicoNico, but as a preference, I'd much rather watch a 360 stream with true full screen, than a 720p stream stuck in a browser.
tcdelaney

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Three major missing items in the last question:

- Must be available in my country
- Must be watchable via my HTPC
- Must be unmetered content

I'm quite happy to pay, but I don't want to be paying twice. Do a deal with the ISPs to ensure that my quota is not being used up to watch your content.

I'd also be quite happy to run a service on my media server to go "your service" -> DNLA -> "my HTPC" or something like that. But ideally you'd have a plugin for XBMC and other HTPC software.

Last edited by tcdelaney on Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Both of those points, yes. But as you said, clearly they're fulfilling market demand, and I've bought them myself (as I did for Ga-Rei: Zero).
The only time I've ever bought one was with Katanagatari, and I sold that back a month or so ago. Not because of packaging woes, though; just the show itself.

And, btw, this is totally effing off-topic, but--even though you've had that Haru avatar for forever--I just randomly came across the full version of that picture the other day, and it's f**king gorgeous. Shocked

Makes me all the more excited for myXam'd Part 1 blu-ray's arrival tomorrow. Cool Needless to say, I enjoyed the hell outta that show all the way through when it was on ANoD a while back, unlike some others.

Last edited by Sanosuke_Inara on Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:08 pm; edited 3 times in total
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:58 pm Reply with quote
tcdelaney wrote:
I'm quite happy to pay, but I don't want to be paying twice. Do a deal with the ISPs to ensure that my quota is not being used up to watch your content.

Seriously? The effective charge per episode is practically nothing.

Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
Big Hed wrote:
Yeah, the only time I've ever bought one was with Katanagatari, and I sold that back a month or so ago. Not because of packaging woes, though; just the show itself.

And, btw, this is totally effing off-topic, but--even though you've had that Haru avatar for forever--I just randomly came across the full version of that picture the other day, and it's f**king gorgeous. Shocked

Makes me all the more excited for myXam'd Part 1 blu-ray's arrival tomorrow. Cool Needless to say, I enjoyed the hell outta that show all the way through when it was on ANoD a while back, unlike some others.

Oh yeah! I've bought the Katanagatari and Arakawa combo packs as well. I knew I was forgetting some big items...

But yeah, the full picture is beautiful isn't it? So is Nakiami's, of course--and if you haven't seen it, wait until you get hold of Part 2! Glad to hear of another who enjoyed Xam'd so much. Cool

Making this a little more relevant to the topic: Xam'd is one of the few titles I would've gobbled up in any format it was released Stateside in. The money I would've paid for a premium box set bundled with the OST and a 150 page high quality artbook... Ah, it's nice to daydream sometimes. Laughing

Last edited by Big Hed on Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:10 pm; edited 3 times in total
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I'm pretty sure the "results" only has the choices of the first user who submitted.

That's what it looks like to me, also. I only see two sizes of bar, what I presume are 0's and 1's. The last survey I filled out here also did this.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:10 pm Reply with quote
tcdelaney wrote:

- Must be available in my country

I have a huge issue with this as well. I don't know if Funimation uses Hulu embeds anymore, but they used to and it was a huge pain in the ass for anyone who wasn't American.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
But yeah, the full picture is beautiful isn't it? So is Nakiami's, of course--and if you haven't seen it, wait until you get hold of Part 2! Glad to hear somebody else enjoyed Xam'd so much. Cool
Yeah, I've seen Nakiami's one as well, and it's--unshockingly--it's also beautiful as hell. Twisted Evil

Quote:
Making this a little more relevant to the topic: Xam'd is one of the few titles I would've gobbled up in any format it was released Stateside in. The money I would've paid for a premium box set bundled with the OST and a 150 page high quality artbook... Ah, it's nice to daydream sometimes. Laughing
Honestly. I'd shell out some serious $$$ for that set. Hell, even if it was just with the OST(which is incredible, especially the openers/closers). Twisted Evil

But yeah, doesn't hurt to have an imagination. Laughing

Last edited by Sanosuke_Inara on Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:13 pm; edited 3 times in total
kaizora

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:18 pm Reply with quote
I typically buy anime that are bundled with inclusive/exclusive extras such as posters, CDs, art, cast interviews, director commentaries, etc. As a collector, I don't mind spending $$ for quality. Packaging and extras matter. Good examples of companies that are doing it right are Aniplex USA, NIS America, and Rightstuf so far. I really dislike anime that are stuffed into one thin DVD box.

I also don't splurge money on anime that I've never watched before. All the anime I've bought at ones that I've watched already and have liked. When I buy anime, I am not buying it for just the HD episodes, but also for the "premium" extras.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the final question (Must have features for streaming anime), I'd say free OR no ads, but checking both implies AND, so that doesn't seem right. I ended up choosing nothing instead.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
Hell, even if it was just with the OST(which is incredible, especially the openers/closers). Twisted Evil

True!

Come to think of it, OSTs should be listed under the "favorite anime extras" category. Oh, I see I just missed it completely.

Last edited by Big Hed on Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:44 pm Reply with quote
They are, under "CD Soundtrack". One of the options I chose.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:45 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't totally sure how to answer "What shows do you buy?" Since I buy more than just my absolute favorites, but definitely not everything I just like. Kind of in between, so everything I really liked.

And no Bluray, no sale. I am holding out on getting OreImo until a bluray is available. Also I am a big fan of premium sets with tons of extras. I am the kind of guy that watches every extra ever. It is a shame that many anime sets have no premium version that includes a ton of extras. I loved Angel Beats! to death (perhaps my favorite), and bought the bluray without a second thought, and yet the set didn't even include the Another Epilogue, or like any extras. I was very disappoint.

Also, feel it should be mentioned, I f**king hate a set that has something like "Anime Legends" or "S.A.V.E" brazened across the cover. I want art of the anime, not an advertisement for a value line.
Matriel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:46 pm Reply with quote
The Coffee God wrote:
For the last question, I think true Full Screen should be an option.

As most streaming has true full screen, it isn't that much of a big deal to most.
However, as a true "must have" option, that's the only one I'd really like as a "must have"
I can live without it, and do for NicoNico, but as a preference, I'd much rather watch a 360 stream with true full screen, than a 720p stream stuck in a browser.

I'm just curious. What do you mean by the words, "true Full Screen?" I don't watch much streaming anime so just humor me here. Are you talking about a 4:3 aspect ratio? As far as I know, that's what "full screen" means. Aspect ratio would be different from resolution. Most media players have a "view full screen" button where they take the aspect ratio and fit the image to your screen. This expands the pixels, but also degrades the image because most streams are of a lower resolution than what they're being expanded to. Is that what you mean?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7