• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: No Anime Submitted for Animated Feature Oscar Nominations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:20 am Reply with quote
Possibly 18 eligible entries, good. That means up to 5 nominations, instead of just 3.

BTW, there is a manga-based animated film submitted for the Oscars: A Drifting Life.

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Like TitanXL also stated, animation really only goes receives a throwaway sub-category awards, so even if something was nominated, it could very be any show, regardless of quality.

Many awards are just popularity shows anyways, and yes, including Japan's. But that's why ya guys should vote in such awards like the Annies, by animators for animation.

GATSU wrote:
No one's mentioning the obvious. Why wasn't Redline submitted?!

Does it even have a theatrical run in Japan or the US?

Pepperidge wrote:
It's a shame that Disney isn't bothering with Arietty. With Pixar not putting out award material this year, you'd think they'd be pushing that one.

Though we discussed a possibility months ago. Laughing
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:34 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Many awards are just popularity shows anyways, and yes, including Japan's. But that's why ya guys should vote in such awards like the Annies, by animators for animation.

I suppose to some degree the more well known it is, the better chances people will know of it and vote for it, but...

2010 Tokyo Animated Award Winners wrote:

Best Animated Movie: Summer Wars
Best Television Series: Eden of the East
Best OVA: Time of Eve
Best Director: Mamoru Hosoda (Summer Wars)
Best Original Story: Summer Wars
Best Screenplay: Summer Wars
Best Art Direction: Summer Wars
Best Character Designs: Summer Wars
Best Voice Actor: Hiroshi Kamiya (Koyomi Araragi from Bakemonogatari)
Best Musical Score: Shiro Sagisu (Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance)

While you can argue 'best', I don't think you can argue against all those are at least good.. and definitely much better choices than.. say.. Penguins of Madagascar and whatever CGI flick won or movie. I remember people were mad Summer Wars wasn't nominated (or was it nominated and didn't win?) last year, but at least it won in Japan, right?
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:03 am Reply with quote
Plus, they could've also sent in Mardock Scramble.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:15 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

I suppose to some degree the more well known it is, the better chances people will know of it and vote for it, but...

2010 Tokyo Animated Award Winners wrote:

Best Animated Movie: Summer Wars
Best Television Series: Eden of the East
Best OVA: Time of Eve
Best Director: Mamoru Hosoda (Summer Wars)
Best Original Story: Summer Wars
Best Screenplay: Summer Wars
Best Art Direction: Summer Wars
Best Character Designs: Summer Wars
Best Voice Actor: Hiroshi Kamiya (Koyomi Araragi from Bakemonogatari)
Best Musical Score: Shiro Sagisu (Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance)

While you can argue 'best', I don't think you can argue against all those are at least good.. and definitely much better choices than.. say.. Penguins of Madagascar and whatever CGI flick won or movie. I remember people were mad Summer Wars wasn't nominated (or was it nominated and didn't win?) last year, but at least it won in Japan, right?

I actually like the Tokyo Anime Awards also because a lot of it are voted by animators and credited professionals, in the same vein as The Annies.

But a lot of ya guys would probably hate it, since the Chairman of the event is Tokyo Governor Ishihara. Laughing

IIRC, Summer Wars was submitted but not nominated for the 2010 Oscars, particularly since only 3 animated films could be nominated and it had tough competition that year.

And hey, watch some of the other films, particularly non-CGI, before you dismiss 'em. Smile
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:20 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
I don't see the big deal.. these are the people who think shows like Simpsons, Camp Lazlo, and South Park are "best animated show of the year" material. We obviously can't take their opinions seriously.

The fact animation only gets a throwaway sub-category kinda shows how little the west cares about these things. They just give the movie award to whatever Dreamworks/Disney/Pixar movie came out that year and give the TV award to Simpsons or whoever and they can call it a day. I personally only care what the Japanese awards for animation are, since it's an actual artform in Japan.
TitanXL, your posts are always awesome, and this one is no exception. That's exactly how I feel: it doesn't do any good trying to convince the Academy that anime is fantastic, because they're obviously not going to listen. What matters is that in it's home country, and to millions of fans around the world, anime is an undeniable artform. As a fan collective, we have nothing to prove to the masses, and should pay attention to the accolades that cream-of-the-cream anime gets in Japan.

As a sidenote, I'm with a lot of people on the confusion regarding "Alvin" and "Smurfs". Those are primarily live-action movies, with CG effects. Does this mean something in the vein of "Jurassic Park" or "Avatar" could be submitted? What a crock.
Jozoiscute

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:43 am Reply with quote
I'm actually hoping that Winnie the Pooh wins this year.
Considering the film was adorable, got released opposite Harry Potter, and Disney Animation Studios hasn't won this award once (although Pixar has won several times).

I'm betting Puss in Boots will also get nominated.

Tintin might actually get a chance for a nom. Even though it's mo-cap, it's gotten great reviews.
I actually wouldn't mind seeing Rio up there either. Blue Sky has always done amazing 3D animation. Their rigs and blend shapes must be crazy!

Anime smile

I'm also kind of sad that neither Arrietty nor Mia and the Migoo made the list this year. I was crossing my fingers that either film would have been considered...due to early, untranslated, theatre releases. Oh well...
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:04 am Reply with quote
Its worrisome that Disney and others don't think the current anime they have don't have a chance at winning and not even try to submit it. You never know, and some saying the "big" movies aren't strong this year, could have had some sway in.
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:15 am Reply with quote
I stopped taking the Academy Awards seriously the year they handed an Oscar for best song to "It's Hard Out Here For a Pimp".

But really, what major theatrical anime releases have there been in the west this year? That's right, none. So do you really expect an anime nominee?
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:17 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one wondering which anime films released this year would be considered Oscar-worthy? Letter to Momo, Redline and Arietty are the only films I can think of that seem like they could stand a chance, but none of them have even released yet here in the West. I read several complaints that the academy doesn't "get" anime (which is silly, considering Spirited Away's Oscar win in 2002), but it seems a lot more likely to me that there just weren't any major anime films released this year. TBH, it seems the anime industry as a whole has generally shied away from stand-alone movies since the 80's/90's (with the exception of movies for TV series).

It also seems that the nomination rules for the Oscars say that a film considered for nomination has to open theatrically the previous calendar year in Los Angeles County, California, which makes it more difficult for anime films to receive a nomination.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:32 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
GATSU wrote:
No one's mentioning the obvious. Why wasn't Redline submitted?!

Is that even out yet?

This. I'll bet it has a decent chance next year though!
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:55 am Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
Even if a film was submitted, I doubt that it would win. You have to really look at it from the public's perspective.

Really? Why? They are not the ones voting for the Oscars, 6k members of the movie industry are... not that I necessarily expect too many of them to purposely keep that much closer an ear to the ground for anime titles. On the other hand, nothing would boost their snotty-elitist-arthouse-flick cred like if they put a little bit more effort into them. After-all, what are anime movies but foreign language films with limited (both run and breadth) releases, its a formula for pure Academy gold.
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
Am I the only one wondering which anime films released this year would be considered Oscar-worthy? Letter to Momo, Redline and Arietty are the only films I can think of that seem like they could stand a chance, but none of them have even released yet here in the West. I read several complaints that the academy doesn't "get" anime (which is silly, considering Spirited Away's Oscar win in 2002), but it seems a lot more likely to me that there just weren't any major anime films released this year. TBH, it seems the anime industry as a whole has generally shied away from stand-alone movies since the 80's/90's (with the exception of movies for TV series).

It also seems that the nomination rules for the Oscars say that a film considered for nomination has to open theatrically the previous calendar year in Los Angeles County, California, which makes it more difficult for anime films to receive a nomination.

Well in that case, I can't really fault Disney or the Oscar people since the films technically didn't release yet. The real issue is the low number of anime movies in general. So its hopeful to see movies like Arietty next time.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:43 pm Reply with quote
[quote="LagannImpact"]
TitanXL wrote:

This. I'll bet it has a decent chance next year though!

Redline won't be eligible next year because it was a 2010 release in Japan, meaning it'd have to get the minimal number of advertised screenings in Los Angeles by the end of 2011 for it to be eligible for the Oscar.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:51 pm Reply with quote
What no Summer Wars? And Arrietty better be in the nominees next year or I will be mad. Sad
Anymouse

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:04 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
R315r4z0r wrote:
Even if a film was submitted, I doubt that it would win. You have to really look at it from the public's perspective.

Really? Why? They are not the ones voting for the Oscars, 6k members of the movie industry are... not that I necessarily expect too many of them to purposely keep that much closer an ear to the ground for anime titles. On the other hand, nothing would boost their snotty-elitist-arthouse-flick cred like if they put a little bit more effort into them. After-all, what are anime movies but foreign language films with limited (both run and breadth) releases, its a formula for pure Academy gold.
I hate these kinds of posts.

"look at me, I despise seriosity! look at me, I'm not a snotty-elitist who watches arthouse film!"

I am proud to be an elitist. I am proud to oppose sexual liberty and feminism. Patriarchal Elites made the Taj Mahal, and Westminster Abbey. They have been the heroes that brought great things into the world.
What is wrong with elitism? I can't see many problems at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6