• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Aquarion DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Senna

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:00 am Reply with quote
I'm another of those who adore the opening Very Happy (well, the full version, anyway). I don't consider it one of Yoko Kanno's *best* works, but it's dang addictive to listen to, and the lyrics make me feel warm and fuzzy inside Rolling Eyes (... I bet it would be amazing if Maaya Sakamoto had sung it though.)

As for the show itself, I'm torn. From the one episode I watched (the streamed dub), it looks gorgeous. But, the plot's kind of ... and the characters are not really to my taste (perhaps because Sylvia's dub voice was ridiculously annoying?). Even so, with Kawamori and Kanno as well as Satelight involved ... it's still tempting.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:01 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
That just floors me, because it doesn't seem like that special a song. (Of course, it's been a while since I've been in tune with pop music of any type.)

Heck, I'd readily take Spice and Wolf's opening theme over that one, or any of at least a dozen other series from the past year alone that I could name off the top of my head. But to each his own, I guess; I am a big fan of Black Lagoon's "Red Fraction," after all.

Spice and Wolf's opening is beautiful, soft and I love the pianos. And I love Red Fraction (which is very good and tricky to describe). Casting further back I've been watching Key the Metal Idol and I'm rather happy about the inclusion of the series soundtrack (the first one), it's really fun stuff with good range genre wise.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:49 am Reply with quote
I wonder what the people who think the OP is nothing special will make of Genesis of Aquarion.

Quote:
That just floors me, because it doesn't seem like that special a song.

I guess you know how I feel about EVA's OP.

Quote:
I vastly prefer the 2nd OP "Go Tight!" to the ho-hum (I'm obviously with Key on this one) "Sousei no Aquarion." I love "Omna Magni," though.

I thought the second opening Go Tight was rather average compared to the stellar first OP but whatever, it's just personal preference. I still maintain that Sousei no Aquarion along with Hemisphere is the best OP work Kanno has done. She has done better songs which where used as insert (Idol Talk), ED (After In the Dark, Gravity) and movie themes (Tune the Rainbow, Yubiwa) but as far as OP themes go those are the top 2 imo. But I've been listening to the full version of the song for the last 3 years and I have to say the animation isn't that great for the OP compared to say... Hemisphere.

Quote:
My last blind purchase of a mecha series based on a Yoko Kanno soundtrack was Brain Powered. *shudder* I won't be making that mistake again.

Stellar soundtrack which is my fav of her obscure work and top 3 overall along with Macross Plus and Escaflowne. Shame about the series :(

Quote:
(... I bet it would be amazing if Maaya Sakamoto had sung it though.)

It would've changed the complexion of the song completely since Sakamoto doesn't have the set of lungs AKINO does.
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:01 am Reply with quote
Count me on the side of those who LOVE the Opening. I wasn't a huge fan of it at first, but by god, does it grow on you. Especially that chorus.

I'm definitely going to be picking this up since (a) I want to support FUNI's handling of the series and (b) I love the OP.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:11 am Reply with quote
The chorus makes the song really, also for people just watching the DVDs who don't like it there is a chance it will grow on you over time. For instance initially I couldn't stand the second OPs for Code Geass and Shana II and thought they were crap compared to the first ops. Now which OPs do I prefer for those 2 series? The second ones which I disliked at first.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:01 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
The chorus makes the song really, also for people just watching the DVDs who don't like it there is a chance it will grow on you over time.

I usually give an OP/ED at least 3-4 tries before giving up on it. Although I liked this one's slightly more on repeat viewings (I originally didn't even have the "slightly above average" comment in there), it is not the type of song that's going to grow on me and, again, I can come up with a great number of OPs I like better and consider better songs.

If we want to talk only songs from Kanno scores, I'll pick "Voices" from Macross Plus as my favorite. It's one of those rare songs that always strikes a deep chord in me, and it has a damn good English adaptation, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lord-darkseid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:07 pm Reply with quote
The opening sequences are nice, as are the transformation sequences.

Everything else = cliche clusterf*ck.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Senna wrote:
But, the plot's kind of ... and the characters are not really to my taste (perhaps because Sylvia's dub voice was ridiculously annoying?). Even so, with Kawamori and Kanno as well as Satelight involved ... it's still tempting.

Its actually because Sylvia herself is annoying; she's god-awful annoying, period. As I said in another thread here, its like she has a dial in her brain that's automatically switched to a certain attitude or personality depending on who she is currently interacting with, and its always the extreme-end of that attitude/personality. Its not Brina Palencia's fault, she's done some pretty good work in other dubs such as Black Cat, Moonphase and Suzuka, its that Sylvia herself is just one of the most annoying characters that's come out in recent days.
/Sylvia rant

I watched the first disc and this review is pretty much inline with how I felt with just the first 5 eps (though I would have probably been meaner on the grades Twisted Evil ). Well, it doesn't sound like things get much better after that, so I'll probably just wait and see how the second half is received before continuing.

side note: I'm kind of surprised to not see any comments made about the commander's "I can read minds through your foot steps" trait. I found that aspect laughable Rolling Eyes .
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:11 am Reply with quote
You forgot the most obvious show it borrowed elements from.

The mecha's combination system is a direct ripoff of Getter Robo.
linxcross

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:07 am Reply with quote
Good review. Still I think people overlook the message given in every episode. It's just a bunch of hippy idealism but not preachy like in Arjuna, it's more metaphoric and artisitc. I think the first episode is very missguiding, Aquarion is not really a super serious mecha show. It's just a fun show with robots. My favorite parts are whenever Fudo gives the elements one of his cryptic speeches only to be understood at the end. Yes, it's formulatic but I love it.

For the ones wondering if there is a plot you'll have to wait until halfway into series. And even then it takes a few episode to get back on track. But the end is extremely well done.

Beatdigga wrote:
You forgot the most obvious show it borrowed elements from.

The mecha's combination system is a direct ripoff of Getter Robo.

Every single combination system IS a ripoff of Getter Robo since it was the first robot to ever use it. =\
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
mike_s_6

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Closer “Omni Magni” by Yui Makino, with its music box sound and wind-up effects, offers a very different song which may grow on viewers. Curiously and disappointingly, it is not subtitled in any setting, nor does it use Funimation's normal practice of having the Japanese credits roll when the Japanese dub is on.

Omna Magni doesn't have real words in the lyrics (it's gibberish!), and doesn't have official lyrics, that's why I guess the subtitlers had to think twice before writing down a text for it. The song was not meant to be understood, and I guess "no subtitles" go well with it.

I also love that intro theme. It's catchy as hell, and made the top ranks of Japanese anime music charts, cd sales, online downloads etc. The song isn't easy to sing either. Plus, the English version of that song, "Genesis of Aquarion", made me cry. The soundtrack is really nice Smile
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:32 pm Reply with quote
mike_s_6 wrote:
Plus, the English version of that song, "Genesis of Aquarion", made me cry. The soundtrack is really nice :)

Genesis of Aquarion is just brilliant period.
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
If we want to talk only songs from Kanno scores, I'll pick "Voices" from Macross Plus as my favorite. It's one of those rare songs that always strikes a deep chord in me, and it has a damn good English adaptation, too.

Macross Plus was my first anime OST. Aahhh, memories... "Voices" is one of those timeless songs for me that is still phenomenal no matter how many times I listen to it. "Memory of Time" from Please Save My Earth is hand-in-hand with "Voices" in this aspect. Like a one-two punch from nostalgia central.

Quote:
She has done better songs which where used as insert (Idol Talk), ED (After In the Dark, Gravity) and movie themes (Tune the Rainbow, Yubiwa) but as far as OP themes go those are the top 2 imo. But I've been listening to the full version of the song for the last 3 years and I have to say the animation isn't that great for the OP compared to say... Hemisphere.

I'm partial to "Yakusoku wa Iranai," myself. I've watched Escaflowne many, many times and have never skipped past the opening sequence even once. Smile But choosing a favorite Kanno OP song is like trying to pick out a favorite child or something. I love just about everything.

Quote:
Stellar soundtrack which is my favorite of her obscure work and top 3 overall along with Macross Plus and Escaflowne. Shame about the series Sad

I like the Turn-A Gundam OSTs just a hair more, but yeah, the Brain Powered OSTs, the second one in particular, are phenomenal. Turn-A, Brain Powered, and the NHK China Special Chuugoku OST are like the holy trinity of lush Kanno orchestrated symphonies. Words cannot describe my vast, vast disappointment with the Brain Powered series. It almost ruined the music for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
JackCox

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
How can you say that about the best anime opening theme this decade!

I dearly hope you're joking.[/quote]

Not best of the decade maybe, But it's definitely up there, I still can't believe how badly he trashed the Opening, this is a love/hate series. You either love it or hate it.
Elisian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:02 am Reply with quote
Just wanted to say that I really like this show. I also think that the music is amazing, however I am a weirdo, since I think I like the closing song more than the opening. I do like them both alot though. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2