• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Rescues Seirei no Moribito License

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:03 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering about this title. I had forgotten who had picked it up. Glad to know that it has been rescued.
kurotsuki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:10 pm Reply with quote
F**k yeah !
Best news of the day !
Can't wait for those DVDs !
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:10 pm Reply with quote
One of the very best shows of 2007, along with Gurren-Lagann and Dennou Coil. Can't wait to watch it on DVD.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:14 pm Reply with quote
...hm. They rescued a title i've never even heard of. Heres hoping they get more. I would love for them to finish KKM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
I guess we're a little dim, maybe you should spell it out for us. Rolling Eyes
I'm not going to claim to know what Tyrenol is getting at exactly but here's why I think he might be right.

In the case of Black Lagoon, most with knowledge of sales indicate it was fairly popular. Also, it has aired on TV and clearly has a mainstream appeal. For these reasons, I think Geneon's power holders would want to keep control of it in case they start releasing things again, even if they release it through another company and just have their name slapped on the DVD case somewhere.

In the case of Rozen Maiden, the sales were bad by most accounts. The show has limited appeal outside of a niche fanbase, so it's dead. Period. No one is going to license rescue something that won't sell well and has only two discs left to go, regardless of how good a series it is or how much the fans who do care want it. (And forget about the OVA.)

I love Rozen Maiden but with things the way they are right now, I don't have any faith whatsoever in it being picked up by anyone. If Geneon starts up again, maybe they'll finish it, but I doubt it. Much like Viz, they'll just drop it into limbo and work on newer, more profitable series.

Black Lagoon, on the other hand, will be released eventually. The same with Hellsing Ultimate. They sell so they will be released.

At least that's my take on it, again I don't claim to know the mind of Tyrenol.

And woohoo on the license rescue for all those folks who were waiting for this one. Hope you guys get a good release.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Tyrenol wrote:
I doubt shows like "Rozen Maiden" and "Black Lagoon" (their second seasons) will get license-rescued. For obvious reasons nobody here wants to pay attention to. Rolling Eyes

I guess we're a little dim, maybe you should spell it out for us. Rolling Eyes
IIRC Sirabella's gone on record somewhere (maybe the AoD forums) as saying "I don't want the incomplete stuff, but I'm interested in Geneon's unreleased titles." That's probably why.

Good to hear about the license; I never saw the fansubs for this series, but I'm looking forward to checking it out sometime after the DVDs are released.

EDIT: I didn't know that Black Lagoon was about useless losers and drowning out one's own misery. Guess you learn something new every day. Yeah, I can see that in When they Cry or Rozen Maiden, but I thought Black Lagoon, if nothing else in Geneon's cancelled lineup, was somehow related to "kicking ass."

Last edited by Zalis116 on Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:21 pm Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:
Reasons??? mind imparting upon us the wisdom that has of yet passed by us?

*...inhales...*

The paying mainstream anime fanbase would not want to wach an otherwise awesome show and then have it ruined by some whining useless loser. Rap "artists" like 50 Cent are more popular than 98% of the crap that's created in Japan only because the West is about "kicking ass," not "drowning out your own misery."
Splitter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
IIRC Sirabella's gone on record somewhere (maybe the AoD forums) as saying "I don't want the incomplete stuff, but I'm interested in Geneon's unreleased titles." That's probably why.

HOPE FOR NANOHA!!!! COME ON, JOHN!!! YOU KNOW WE WANT IT!!! YOU KNOW WE WANT IT!!!!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Well this is good news. And it sounds like this will be dubbed, so that is also good. I figured the first "rescues" would be ones that hadn't been released yet.

I guess the only hope for the semi-released ones, is the bigger companies, and since ADV basically said that they weren't interested at the last con, that really just leaves FUNimation, since the rest of the shows really don't mesh with Viz.

Anyway, I am kinda interested in this series, but admitedly I don't know much about it. My next purchase from them is either going to be Tweeny Witches or Kite Liberator though.

Always good to hear about rescues, so this is good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crescendoll

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Yay!!! Way to go, MB! Super happy to hear about this. =)
AlucardZero

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Have my babies, Media Blasters!
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:36 pm Reply with quote
At least one company saves a title! There's hope after all! Go Media Blasters! Great job with Shrine of the Morning Mist (I'm seeing it on Anime Selects. I love it)!

P.S. Please rescue Shounen Onmyouji! Very Happy
Eos

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised and glad to hear Seirei no Moribito got picked up again, kudos to Media Blasters. Very Happy

Tyrenol wrote:
The paying mainstream anime fanbase would not want to wach an otherwise awesome show and then have it ruined by some whining useless loser. Rap "artists" like 50 Cent are more popular than 98% of the crap that's created in Japan only because the West is about "kicking ass," not "drowning out your own misery."

My thinking is more with Richard J. on this, the factors that go into rescuing licenses are more complex than the quality of a show's male characters. Maybe you're new to anime, but it isn't exactly 98% moe (which is what I think you're getting at).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:57 pm Reply with quote
OMG! THANK GOD! This just made my day! Anime smile I was so upset when the release was cancelled because of Geneon's fallout. I can't wait for the first dvd!
Beruda

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I hope someone rescues out Ergo Proxy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4