• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Winter Days

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Treetastic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:58 pm Reply with quote
petran79 wrote:
Winter Days is a difficult title to review so as an addon I found this review that provides a little more info.

http://www.midnighteye.com/reviews/winter-days.shtml

if you do not regard Winter Days as an anime but rather as an animation movie, you'll enjoy it much more. By animation movie I mean something that goes further than the typical american or japanese animated movies.

You will not find many movies where so many animators participate. I think some of them also helped in "The Book of the Dead".

It is not for everyone and very few have seen it, I agree so it is not mainstream.

Anthology movies tend to be about the individual animators' expression. It's like freeform jazz- sometimes they're just churning stuff out, sometimes they paint a beautiful portrait of their individual interpretation, but half the time the artists have more fun than the viewers. That's okay. I can see where they were going with it- it's disappointing that it didn't turn out so well. I might look it up anyway, though; so thank you, Mr. Sevakis.
d.yaro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:07 am Reply with quote
Reminds me of a piece called "Anijam" released by Canadian animation company Rocketship International in 1984. 22 animators were involved. Each person had to start and end their segment with a drawing of director Marv Newland's character Foska. The film was about 10 minutes long so it was a short and snappy piece. Newland had no pretenses of a great theme there. It was an "animation jam" and an outright free for all. The whole atmosphere of anarchy was about the only unifying element. I for one certainly enjoyed that one.
TJM

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:55 am Reply with quote
Monsieur Pink wrote:

Here's one that should go back to watching Rosario + Vampire. Anime exclamation

Ah sorry old buddy Pink, you seem to have mistaken me for someone else.Never heard of this rosario + vampire business.

...wait just a minute, were you trying to be.. funny? Evil or Very Mad

I
Monsieur Pink wrote:
- I cried while watching the first Pokémon movie.

think
Monsieur Pink wrote:
I have a Yu-Gi-Oh! t-shirt.

we
Monsieur Pink wrote:
Moe is bad, but loli is hawt as long as it involved blood, kicking ass, cigars, guns ans sexual promiscuity.

got ourselves a comedian here Evil or Very Mad
Monsieur Pink

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:54 am Reply with quote
Sorry that my lame ass humor angered you so much mister, but you also seem to have mistaken my confessions with yet another attempt at joking, which believe me were not, not that they're have any revelance in this thread, so back on topic will ya. Geez.
TJM

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:40 am Reply with quote
Hehe, but sir you are the topic Laughing unless you'd rather us talk about how Pokemon: The First movie changed your life, and Yu gi oh! is the best thing since sexual intercourse Laughing
Monsieur Pink

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:59 am Reply with quote
--

Last edited by Monsieur Pink on Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
TJM

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
PS: And yes Yu-Gi-Oh! is the best thing since sexual intercourse, which is overrated anyway.

Ah! Yes yes! I'm sure you'd think that seeing how you're sexually frustrated! must be hard luring in 8 year old girls in this day and age huh? Anyways I'm done here! This article stinks! do better next time guys!
Monsieur Pink

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:16 am Reply with quote
*Sigh* You sure don't know when to stop do you? I've taken all this jokingly, but that's pretty close to personnal insult and if you didn't get the fact that I was maybe 8 at the time I was a Yu-Gi-Oh! and Pokémon fanboy, there ain't a lot I can do for you. And even if I was sexually frustrated I don't think it would have been pretty unusual for a 15 years-old to be. Glad you are done, next you should think about growing up (edit: and learn to argument, because "this article suck, bye" ain't really convincing).
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Okay guys, chill out now. Final warning.

Here's the Korean version: http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/code-j/section-anime/pid-1004113905/
Monsieur Pink

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Thanks a bunch, I can't believe I missed it on YesAsia. And sorry for that too.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I have the Yuri Norshtyn collection with six films, Tale of Tales and The Hedgehog in the Fog are wonderful. I've been meaning to see this for years (I've seen a couple of the segments online) but never got a hold of the DVD.
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:29 pm Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
I have the Yuri Norshtyn collection with six films, Tale of Tales and The Hedgehog in the Fog are wonderful.

Tale of Tales is my all-time favorite animated film, and a huge inspiration for the piece I'm working on now. Always nice to see some Norstein love. Smile Have you seen any parts of The Overcoat yet? Absolutely phenomenal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2