• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Slam Dunk GN 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:50 am Reply with quote
Geo: I'm sure companies might consider licensing it, if Toei didn't like to get in the way of the dvd-replicating process. (*cough* Bo^7, Beet and B'TX *cough*)

Kabakaba: I'm not sure if Viz believes in SD as much as they believe in the idea of diversifying beyond the "kids team up to save the world" shonen cliche. Plus, sports manga gives them the opportunity to expand to the traditionally non-literate jock crowd.
braves

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Based on watching the first episode on IGN and reading a random chapter in Shonen Jump, this series is one that I want to buy. I'm glad that Viz is going to take it off of Shonen Jump, because it'll recieve bi-monthly releases. Very Happy If only One Piece and Bleach were more fortunate. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:35 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Geo: I'm sure companies might consider licensing it, if Toei didn't like to get in the way of the dvd-replicating process. (*cough* Bo^7, Beet and B'TX *cough*)

Yet we have also gotten Toei animes where they apparently didn't get in the way fo the replicating process; Illumitoon brought it upon themselves as much as Toei gave it to them.

Also B't X is TMS, not Toei... Though TMS is not exactly a shining example of a fully helpful Japanese anime company either.
ryoga79

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I picked up all of the Singapore version (which is in English) in Japan of all places. A brilliant manga and very deserving of a good release. If only the anime were to get released properly as well. I'd happily re-buy the four volumes I already have if they had proper subtitles instead of the ghastly dubtitles
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Geo:
Quote:
Yet we have also gotten Toei animes where they apparently didn't get in the way fo the replicating process

I'm guessing that's because Fukanaga has some dirt on people at the company-since FUNimation was once as small as Illumitoon, too. You got me on B'TX, though, but I wouldn't be surprised if Toei wouldn't let them replicate that the way they wanted, either, since it'd make them look bad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2