• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Garbage - When Anime Directors Go Live Action

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaos

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:36 pm Reply with quote
For get all that esoteric BS, I say Anno's best attempt at live action is the live Cutey Honey movie. Of course, it's not as serious as the others, but it has plenty of good old fashioned high-energy campy fun, and THAT's how an anime director SHOULD make live action.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:24 pm Reply with quote
You know, you don't watch The Red Spectacles, you experience it!

Seriously, The Red Spectacles is actually a lot more fun than it sounds if you don't try to watch it as an avant garde special. Pop it into a DVD player with your friends and I guarantee tons of laughs at its sheer randomness.

After all, when your villain just starts dancing, it's magic.
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, and the article is wrong about Shiki-Jitsu not being available in Region 1 with English subtitles. Tigercinema.com has it available subbed and it worked just fine on my R1 DVD player.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Ronin0079 wrote:
A quick correction - the Japanese Region 2 DVD of Shiki-Jitsu does have English subtitles.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I used those when I rented it.
It was...interesting. Very intensely interested in the degrading industrial environments. I found it held my attention, and I don't regret watching it, but it very much felt like a film produced by personal fascination with the subject.

With Love and Pop, I always felt the gimmicky camera stuff was designed to make you feel like the girls were filming the movie. Like that was the sort of playing around with the cameras they might try.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
Quote:
You know, you don't watch The Red Spectacles, you experience it!

Seriously, The Red Spectacles is actually a lot more fun than it sounds if you don't try to watch it as an avant garde special. Pop it into a DVD player with your friends and I guarantee tons of laughs at its sheer randomness.

After all, when your villain just starts dancing, it's magic.

Mamoru Oshii's live-action films struck me as going for a Seijun Suzuki effect, and whiffing badly. An avant-garde movie like 'Branded to Kill' takes a low ebb concept and makes it shine through inspired film-making, 'The Red Spectacles' takes a high-brow concept and makes it a morass of confusion.

Most all of Oshii's work suffers from a weakness that's fairly not unique to him, being quotes, analogies, and references to intellectual works do not beget it's own intellectualism. You can often recognize and sympathize with the themes he's after, but he lacks the deft touch to boil down philosophy into a subtle work of his own. I don't say that flippantly because in truth very few people can craft something easily from weighty philosophical origins, but at the same time, even with the best of intent, his works often come across as pretentious and ponderous.
angel_lover

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:16 am Reply with quote
Justin Sevakis wrote:
An appalling number of people are under the impression that their lives would make a good movie.

This is an unfortunate consequence of technology. It's still said that everyone has a novel inside them, so maybe we'd all be better off putting those digicams away and getting the pencils out instead.
enoah ballard

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Goodpenguin wrote:

Most all of Oshii's work suffers from a weakness that's fairly not unique to him, being quotes, analogies, and references to intellectual works do not beget it's own intellectualism. You can often recognize and sympathize with the themes he's after, but he lacks the deft touch to boil down philosophy into a subtle work of his own. I don't say that flippantly because in truth very few people can craft something easily from weighty philosophical origins, but at the same time, even with the best of intent, his works often come across as pretentious and ponderous.

I agree with this entirely. I was glad to see that his latest waste of Production I.G.'s time, money and man power is doing poorly at the japanese box office.
Mobius Archer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:58 am Reply with quote
eviltimes wrote:
Avalon is a treat and should be seen by all tech fans and gamers.

Avalon is my favorite movie.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:34 pm Reply with quote
enoah ballard wrote:
Goodpenguin wrote:

I agree with this entirely. I was glad to see that his latest waste of Production I.G.'s time, money and man power is doing poorly at the japanese box office.

Have you even seen The Sky Crawlers? If not, then you've no room for criticism.

And reviews and comments I've seen about that film already? Nothing but praise, and assurances that there's no "pretentious or ponderous moments." Certainly unlike the rather lukewarm and/or dissenting opinions about Miyazaki's latest work, Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea. (Now THAT'S a once-great director who seems to have fallen creatively.)

By the by, Goodpenguin, while I can see your comments applying to Ghost in the Shell, Angel's Egg and Innocence, how would you argue that Beautiful Dreamer, the first two Patlabor films, Jin-Roh (well, Oshii scripted it, at least) and The Sky Crawlers are "pretentious and pompous"?
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:43 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
By the by, Goodpenguin, while I can see your comments applying to Ghost in the Shell, Angel's Egg and Innocence, how would you argue that Beautiful Dreamer, the first two Patlabor films, Jin-Roh (well, Oshii scripted it, at least) and The Sky Crawlers are "pretentious and pompous"?

You have to admit, compared to the manga, OAVs, or TV series, the Patlabor movies are definitely pretty far to the pretentious and pompous side.
Pretty much surgically removing everything I like about the franchise in the process.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Andrew Cunningham wrote:
You have to admit, compared to the manga, OAVs, or TV series, the Patlabor movies are definitely pretty far to the pretentious and pompous side.

Yeah, they're far different beasts. But I find that they accomplish what they set out to do: the OVA being one of the most fun mecha romps in anime, and the first two movies being a more introspective at Japan's technologically-dependent economy and falseness of the nation's peace, respectively.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:14 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
And reviews and comments I've seen about that film already? Nothing but praise, and assurances that there's no "pretentious or ponderous moments." Certainly unlike the rather lukewarm and/or dissenting opinions about Miyazaki's latest work, Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea.

Due to me being heavily biased I find this news pleasing. Watching TSC should hopefully be worth however long it is we have to wait.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:34 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Quote:
Have you even seen The Sky Crawlers? If not, then you've no room for criticism.

And reviews and comments I've seen about that film already? Nothing but praise, and assurances that there's no "pretentious or ponderous moments." Certainly unlike the rather lukewarm and/or dissenting opinions about Miyazaki's latest work, Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea. (Now THAT'S a once-great director who seems to have fallen creatively.)

I've not seen 'The Sky Crawlers', so I can offer no opinion. I do object to the notion that my not seeing that particular title somehow precludes me from forming an opinion as to the Oshii titles I have seen in the past. I see that it's a relatively new feature, should no one review any director's work until he/she retires, because nothing 'counts' until every work is on the table? An odd critical methodology. Perhaps your first comments were directed at the other poster quoted in your post, the context isn't entirely clear. Above comments obviously moot if your first portions were not directed towards me.

On the last paragraph your undertone is odd given that in your own example you concede that half the listed works can be seen as 'pretentious and pompous', which in and of itself works towards the qualifier I used ('Most'). For 'Jin-Roh', the 'Patlabor' films, 'Beautiful Dreamer', and even things like the 'Blood' series, I find them much less overtly 'pretentious' than a title like 'Innocence', but I do find them often very ponderous, which probably fits better than my earlier pairing of 'pompous'* (though that exists here and there in Oshii's line-up as well). These titles may cut more subjectively, but one poster already stated their similar feelings over the titles in question, and I don't feel it's a particularly controversial take, though of course one that not everyone will agree on.

I know from talking about a work like 'Ghost in the Shell' on here that there can be a flash-point over certain material/creators, so I'll state up front that I think Oshii has an excellent visual 'eye', and I respect that he often aims much higher in goal for his shows than standard anime levels. Even though I don't deeply enjoy most of his works, there's very few I wouldn't recommend an anime fan to watch at least once. However, Oshii often crafts his work to be taken at a somewhat serious level, and when I judge something like the 'Patlabor' films not against anime, but as a straight 'serious' sci-fi, I find it's narrative 'heart' more good intention then good execution. I'll go back to the term I used earlier, ponderous. You can grasp the themes Oshii's after early in works like the 'Patlabor' films, but they precede to unravel/repeat in such a heavy fashion, the titles carry a high degree of 'drag' in the execution. If your main contention is that Oshii's works aren't all of the 'art-house pretension' style as seen in the live-action film talked about in the thread or anime like 'Innocence', I'd agree with that. I do find 'ponderous' to be a recurring trait however, and I often find myself wishing that he would be less enthralled with 'grand themes/concepts/philosophy' and more careful in focusing on subtler, character-driven narrative lines.

* EDIT-I actually did use ponderous, and not pompous, as the criticism in my first post. You 'miss-copied' that particular word in your reply. My brain is much frazzled from recent heavy work, darn the quickening political cycle, and did not pick up the pompous/ponderous miss-quote earlier.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Goodpenguin wrote:
Perhaps your first comments were directed at the other poster quoted in your post, the context isn't entirely clear. Above comments obviously moot if your first portions were not directed towards me.

It was directed at enoah ballard's post, not yours. Correct.

Quote:
On the last paragraph your undertone is odd given that in your own example you concede that half the listed works can be seen as 'pretentious and pompous', which in and of itself works towards the qualifier I used ('Most').

I can see how Ghost in the Shell, Angel's Egg and Innocence can be pretentious, and to some extent I agree. However, by my mark, pretentiousness is not such a negative trait that it can bring the work as a whole down. Self-indulgence like Innocence aside for another thread, there is worth in the likes of Ghost in the Shell and Angel's Egg to have merit and depth, as well as the strong aesthetic drive that you yourself concede.

Quote:
However, Oshii often crafts his work to be taken at a somewhat serious level, and when I judge something like the 'Patlabor' films not against anime, but as a straight 'serious' sci-fi, I find it's narrative 'heart' more good intention then good execution. I'll go back to the term I used earlier, ponderous. You can grasp the themes Oshii's after early in works like the 'Patlabor' films, but they precede to unravel/repeat in such a heavy fashion, the titles carry a high degree of 'drag' in the execution. If your main contention is that Oshii's works aren't all of the 'art-house pretension' style as seen in the live-action film talked about in the thread or anime like 'Innocence', I'd agree with that. I do find 'ponderous' to be a recurring trait however, and I often find myself wishing that he would be less enthralled with 'grand themes/concepts/philosophy' and more careful in focusing on subtler, character-driven narrative lines.

Partially agree, partially disagree here. My own opinion of the first Patlabor film isn't as favorable compared to Oshii's stronger works (Patlabor 2, Jin-Roh and perhaps The Sky Crawlers, if it does indeed live up to its praises). Even though I like it, I do not hold in very high regard.

But considering the ponderous element you speak of (and yes, my main contention is that Oshii's stronger films are detached from pretension), I do not necessarily see this as a negative. I'd actually argue that those stronger films I mentioned are, in fact, the character-driven narratives you'd prefer. Oshii seems to pull of his best work when he's working on a more personal, intimate level. Patlabor 2 and Jin-Roh are more inwardly focused -- the high-concepts that are scattered throughout, say, Ghost in the Shell are pretty much absent. The characterization in both films feel strengthened, as well; the developments and ideologies that Gotoh and Nagumo show really enhance what would other be a well-directed and interesting meditation on the nature of peace, states of denial and political disillusionment.

Quote:
* EDIT-I actually did use ponderous, and not pompous, as the criticism in my first post. You 'miss-copied' that particular word in your reply. My brain is much frazzled from recent heavy work, darn the quickening political cycle, and did not pick up the pompous/ponderous miss-quote earlier.

Ah, my apologies for that. Need to read posts more carefully to confirm what I'm looking at late night.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:12 pm Reply with quote
hellkorn wrote:

Beautiful Dreamer in my view, had a sense of pompousness as the entire film was spent trying to decipher the true meaning of dreams in a way I felt was trying to force the concept down the viewer's throat and in turn, made nearly the entire cast aside from Ataru and Lum act out of character. I think as a standalone film, it could be considered a masterpiece but trying to lump it in with a franchise that is more notorious for playful hijinks, it just feels like a black sheep.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2