• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Orguss 02

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stretch2424

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:52 am Reply with quote
Oh, by the way my avatar is Lieutenant Manning--again, shows how much I love that show.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:59 am Reply with quote
Kyaa the Catlord wrote:
Its available from Netflix, btw.

Added and moved to the top of my Netflix queue!

It seems that if you saw the first, you don't seem to care for the second. Since I haven't seen either, I think I will enjoy this when I get it sometime next week!
strahl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:20 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis, PLEASE, PLEASE!!! tell someone to re edit the dvds for remi I'm dying to have them in japanese, please!!!
krpalmer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Well, I liked Orguss 02, but I suppose I fall into the category of "those who saw it (in my case, in my first year of anime-watching at my university's anime club) long before they saw the original." Going back to my DVD of it after finishing the Orguss release (I liked it as well, but maybe not in a "standout" way), I still liked it and was amused by understanding the subtle connections between original and sequel that much better at last... although I could understand how those who were looking for "further adventures of the original characters" (as opposed to what seems the mere concept of a "composite reality" being used to help create a distinctive mecha universe...) wouldn't like it.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to see that I'm actually not alone in liking Orguss 02. My only disappointment is not being able to find the second opening and closing theme songs on CD.
treatment

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:09 pm Reply with quote
well, Orguss-2 automatically must suck coz it don't have a talking dinosaur or loli-adroid or a tricked-out gypsy cargo ship like Orguss-1. Shocked

oy vey! lol!

Other than the sucktacular op/ed music in the original japanese of Orguss-2 (which was on par with Orguss-1's bizarro op/ed anyway) and almost completely not following Orguss-1's long-winded tale/journey and stuff, I dare say Orguss-2 just damn r0x! The newer OP on the english-version makes it better, too. Cool

Much grittier, more violent action, more coherent concept, etc, etc, I say this six-ep OVA ranks about as good as VOTOMS TV.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing you have to have been exposed to a lot of 70s and 80s sci-fi team shows like Buck Rogers and Red Dwarf to appreciate the first Orguss. If you weren't alive back then, or your only exposure to sci-fi-at the time-was E.T., then I can understand why you wouldn't "get" the first Orguss. It's kind of like how I don't "get" Gatchaman, since I wasn't into 70s superhero shows like Superfriends.
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:56 am Reply with quote
Orguss 02 has long been one of my favorites as well. Sadly, I missed the window on the DVD release, so I keep a VHS player in good shape to watch these on occasion. (See also: the original Streamline dubs of Akira and the Dirty Pair movies.)

Orguss 02 was short and sweet, with just enough turns to keep things interesting. Lt. Manning is one of the better characters in anime, even if main character Lean is something of a cipher. Torsten Rasch's opening and ending themes are really good. I, too, would love to have those on disc.
Mobius Archer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:52 pm Reply with quote
treatment wrote:
Much grittier, more violent action, more coherent concept, etc, etc, I say this six-ep OVA ranks about as good as VOTOMS TV.

Blasphemy! Orguss 2 doesn't even come close to the majesty of VOTOMS.
Stretch2424

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:04 pm Reply with quote
In many ways, Orguss 02 reminds me of Macross Plus--as two spinoff/sequels that represent radical improvements on the originals.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Orguss 02 is definitely more entertaining than the original Orguss, and being so short helps keep it focused. The action is great, plus the cast of characters is a lot more interesting and likeable as well.

But you know, as someone who saw the first Orguss before the later sequel...for all the original's flaws, I eventually grew to like how it was wrapped up.

Thus I personally dislike what Orguss 02 did with the ending of the original...without having to go into spoilers or what have you, the way the new staff re-interpreted what happened before didn't sit well with me. It all kinda feels a bit cheap, from that perspective.

If they were already going to create something that was mostly original material, as is clearly the case, they could have jettisoned all connections whatsoever instead of adding in a couple of arguable missteps.

Of course, I can choose to completely ignore that, come up with the "it's all in an alternative universe anyways" explanation, or just let it slide, most of the time, so I'd agree that Orguss 02 has all the previously mentioned merits, especially by itself.
Akyho
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Oh it pains me so much hearing people not like Orguss 02 i can fully understand the Orguss fans plight, i just cant understand anyone elses. I have loved Orguss 02 and thats why i cant understand everyone has a problem, I cant see a single flaw in the dub.

People will have their opinions and likes and dislikes, i just dont get why anyone espeacly people of an intllegent mind set and can enjoy a good policial thriller aswell as enjoy action films dosnt like it. I have Orguss 02 on DVD and i snapped that thing up quicker than my friend could see what happend to the next noise he hears is me squealing going "ORGUSS! ORGUSS! INSTA BUY!" and i am a guy.

I am also the same person that cant see a problem with Dominion Tank police old and new. Ofcourse i am the same person that has had trouble to get the three people i have showen Dominion Tank police and Orguss 02 to finish watching them. One of them also includes a person i tried to show macross. The person that survived longest was my last girlfriend now ex who still has my Orguss 02 DVD she lasted to the last episode and just like her intrest in that anime she kept finding excuses in not watching it untill it turned into excuses to not be with me.

I am also currently wacthing Orguss the original serise and i am enjoying it, it wonderfull in its own way, i am upto the episodes in which mimzy has turned 17 while Shia and the crew are evadeing both Chilam and Emann forces. What does give me a shiver is the connection between Orguss and orguss 02. Such as i have figured the decimators of Orguss 02 bears a striking recemblance to the orguss 2 models byt he emann and the Nikick models byt he chilam. while in orguss 02 the orguss 2 models are on the ravilla side and the zafrin have the nikick. Except one thing is they dont transform or have any hint they could, so that ones confuseing.

Why is the music in the serise horrible i mind it absolutly wonderfull aswell as orguss music, while yes orguss is jarring with the robot "ORGUSS!" then into a melodic tune and the ending Gypsy dosnt corospond to the opening its very good. In Orguss 02 the music is just wonderfull as the join union with the techno electric for a lack of a better term steampunk sound to go with the industrial age, while when needed the music turns to a classical scoreing to go for the more medievil tones. While yes the orginal opening music is far more jarring and while i enjoy it to a point.....the vocals have somthing to be desired for aswell as the oddity of how the opening theme has one nice tune goes into the funky tencho jam electric metal then goes back to the nice tune. The ending theme is just darn well brillian if i have to say and the opening is just orgasmic beyond my own words.

I just simply cant see the bigger picture for flaws as i am to much loveing and licking this gloriouse title.

You may hate it but think of this. There is three to four diffrent elements, WW2 era with giant future robots from another dimension, another dimension set up, and royal polictal drama. Brilliant characters brilliant dioulage. Yes i cant spell that damn my dyslexcia. Even thou people have found the lines by L.T Manning "The train leaves in morning. didn't you hear me! Get Going! befor i throw you to the ground and rape ya!" and toria smiles and thanks him and goes to get her mother after he rescued her from certain death int he dungeon. People just dont get it. It could have been horrible dish with the many tastes marred the main dish, i watched master chef today.

Orguss is the name of the War God of Jabbys/Javy/Jayveits (dragon guy) people know. i agree thats sentence was horrible constructed sorry.

So in the end i have a weird taste and i alot of Buried Treasure i have seen and love........aswell alot of Buried Garbage and agree on the all of them be very much horrible bawwaaah mad bull that was hard to watch.

Yeah i think i have ranted enough in my incoherant Dyslexic and utterly biased way.
The Unknown 24

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I bought this on vhs dubbed back when it first came out(in 1995 by Manga video in the USA). The dub sounded ok to me. I'd still love to see it in japanese with english subs one day.

I liked it and I also like the original Orguss tv show.

Twisted Evil Very Happy Twisted Evil
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:57 am Reply with quote
Looks like a DVD I should try and nab. I love "serious" sci-fi like this, its the kind of thing that got me into Anime in the first place (thank you Venus Wars), I've been trying to watch the original Orguss but it failed to capture me like, say, Macross did (also, I only got Volume 1 before it went out of print. OPPS)

At any rate, this seems like the kind of show for me. But from the sound of it, it could really use a rerelease.

EDIT: Good Gravy, look at these prices on the Amazon.com Marketplace. Finding this could be trickier then I thought.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:03 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
EDIT: Good Gravy, look at these prices on the Amazon.com Marketplace. Finding this could be trickier then I thought.

Just switch your DVD player to region free and import Manga's UK R2 release from Amazon.co.uk - you can pick it up brand new over here for less than £5 (US$10).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3