• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Geneon Announces Licenses

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:41 am Reply with quote
Tenseiga323 wrote:
I wonder if this is really true Could put it up on the front page?
Alot of forums already think that it was the first Hanaukyo Maid that was licensed.

Well, consider the fact that Geneon USA co-produced La Verite. I'm just surprised that a company like ADV hasn't picked up the first series yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
jfrog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:16 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
This is true. I mean, we can't rightly say the first three or four episodes of Cowboy Bebop were a deep, meaningful affair, right? They were pretty much all style just the same as Champloo is now.

There was more potential in the characters in Cowboy Bebop. The idea of Beatnik Bounty Hunters in Space has a retro-cool to it, while the cool the characters in Samurai Champloo have is more of an anachronistic joke. It doesn't seem to be taking itself all that seriously so far. Still entertaining as all hell, but that doesn't mean that it's anywhere near Watanabe's earlier stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
davispike

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:25 am Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:
Tenseiga323 wrote:
Alot of forums already think that it was the first Hanaukyo Maid that was licensed.

Well, consider the fact that Geneon USA co-produced La Verite. I'm just surprised that a company like ADV hasn't picked up the first series yet.

Well, most people don't know that the second series is really the first series "redone." Like, it's literally the same show, same characters, same plot, same everything with a few tweaks here or there. So if Geonen doesn't have the first series, it would make sense because why buy two of the same show?
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:51 am Reply with quote
I'm a little shocked that they picked up the license to a series like Daphne in the Brilliant Blue. To me, aero thongs and bouncing breasts just screams "ADV!!!!!" I never would've picked Geneon to dip into that department.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:35 am Reply with quote
davispike wrote:
Well, most people don't know that the second series is really the first series "redone." Like, it's literally the same show, same characters, same plot, same everything with a few tweaks here or there. So if Geneon doesn't have the first series, it would make sense because why buy two of the same show?

Actually, the major difference between the two series is that La Verite is a more faithful adaptation of the manga (which Studio Ironcat has yet to release) than the first series, which completely strayed away from the manga and resorted to merely T&A.

BTW, does anyone know how many episodes La Verite is supposed to run? The official site stopped count at episode 8.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:37 am Reply with quote
Is it already cool to trash Samurai Champloo for being all style and no substance? What else did Wantanabe do that somehow made you think his work had amazing depth?

Cowboy Bebop? No.
Cowboy Bebop: The Movie? No.
Macross Plus? Eh, maybe.

I doubt 't.A.t.U Paragate' will be a shining example of flimic depth for the ages. Feel free to argue on that one, though.

Samurai Champloo is a fun, entertaining show with a lot of style. You're supposed to sit back and enjoy it. Saying it lacks depth but entertains you is like saying 'Man, I saw Sesame Street last night and it didn't really challenge me mentally, but I did enjoy myself'. What's the purpose of saying it didn't challenge you? Were you expecting that?

Given Wantanabe's track record, I wasn't expecting anything more than what Bebop was. If you're somehow under the delusion that Cowboy Bebop was a paragon of complex filmmaking... ah... then you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:42 pm Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:
FYI, just to prevent any confusion with the link on the front page, Geneon has licensed Hanaukyo Maid-tai: La Verite, not the first Hanaukyo Maid-tai series.

Tenseiga323 wrote:

Area Seven is right. I've posted an update on the front page and fixed the link.
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Geneon USA was listed in the production credits of Ten Ten, so I guess they technically already liscensed it, since they probably helped pay for it Very Happy
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:36 pm Reply with quote
hahahahaha

it will be interesting to see who actually drops Tengou Tenge.

Last edited by v1cious on Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Is it already cool to trash Samurai Champloo for being all style and no substance? What else did Wantanabe do that somehow made you think his work had amazing depth?

Cowboy Bebop? No.
Cowboy Bebop: The Movie? No.

Good point. I find Bebop to be very episodic, but I like the franchise because it's stylish.

That's also about the same way I feel about Champloo, though the whole feudal Japan thing kind of boosts up the value (just for me, personally.) Razz
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:24 pm Reply with quote
jfrog wrote:
I agree. Cowboy Bebop and Macross Plus were good because they were very character-driven, but so far Samurai Champloo seems to be a glorious display of style over substance.

Cowboy Bebop was character driven? only about 6 episodes had anything to do with the actual story.
ShinigamTakuto

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:52 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
hahahahaha

it will be interesting to see who actually drops Tengou Tenge.

No one because they already knew it was licenced from the start.
Professor Genius

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:25 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
I'm a little shocked that they picked up the license to a series like Daphne in the Brilliant Blue. To me, aero thongs and bouncing breasts just screams "ADV!!!!!" I never would've picked Geneon to dip into that department.

You know, Bamboo...Until now I never realized that ADV has so many "thongs and boobies" titles in their catalog. Then again, Geneon did get Burn Up Scramble. As long as it doesn't prevent us from getting the same amount of quality titles from Pioneer, I'm all for it though. Of course, I have nothing against heaps of fanservice, but I'll take more "Samurai Champloo"s over "Daphne in the Brilliant Blue"s anyday of the week.
Allen
Company Representative

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:03 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

huh? what?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
UberTai

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:04 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Cowboy Bebop was character driven? only about 6 episodes had anything to do with the actual story.

And that's why Cowboy Bebop isn't my favorite anime. I found most of the episodes a bore.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3