• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lupin Live Action in 2006

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
king_micah

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:45 am Reply with quote
Tom Cruise would be the Perfect Lupin. His roles as Ethan Hunt have him with the right hair and attitude. He might even be interested in the role with his love for classic Japanese cinema.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
I guess Richard Dean Anderson would be a little old to be playing Lupin, would he?

Somehow, I could see him more as Jigen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Proman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I know many of you will disagree with me but I think Chris Evans would make a good Lupin. He's about the right age, not very well known (which I think is a good thing) and even wears sideburns. Another good option, in my opinion, would be some charismatic French actor (a younger Alain Delon would be perfect Wink ).

Johnny Depp might make a good Jigen.

As for Goemon, he should definitely be played by a Japanese actor (I really like the idea of a international cast). Unlike other people I don't think Jet Li would make a good a Goemon (plus he's Chinese).

Call me crazy but I think Takeshi "Beat" Kitano might not be such a bad choice for Zenigata. I would really like to see him in a more 'comedic' role. Tom Hanks would be an OK choice too.

Now as for Fujiko, there's only one actress in my mind who would be able to play her role. Her name is Mia Kirshner. She's a great actress, plus she's hot and I think she looks like Fujiko.
Erufu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:54 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Is Spielberg still directing it?

Ugh... I hope this stays a rumor. I think they need a more eccentric director. He seems to be a Hayle Jo fan (can't spell his name), and I'm sure he would stick him in some where. Wink

I love the poster! But the jacket color is a good question; what color would they use?

A lot of people say anime shouldn't be made into live action, and I do think that some anime just doesn't look right (have you seen the live action Sailor Moon?), but I think Lupin is perfect for live action. There's no sci fi, out of this world aspect about it. Excellent plot, excellent characters, what more could you ask for?
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Erufu wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Is Spielberg still directing it?

Ugh... I hope this stays a rumor. I think they need a more eccentric director. He seems to be a Hayle Jo fan (can't spell his name), and I'm sure he would stick him in some where. Wink

I love the poster! But the jacket color is a good question; what color would they use?

A lot of people say anime shouldn't be made into live action, and I do think that some anime just doesn't look right (have you seen the live action Sailor Moon?), but I think Lupin is perfect for live action. There's no sci fi, out of this world aspect about it. Excellent plot, excellent characters, what more could you ask for?

I might have to disagree with Lupin going live action. Some of the charm that the series has would definently be hard to capture with live actors. I'm not saying it'd be impossible, or even unlikely for the movie to become good, but there is quite some work to be done in order for it to work.

I have no real predictions or such on who would make a good cast. Spielburg directing it doesn't seem like a terrible idea though. And I do believe that Johnny Depp's appearence as someone is almost reqired.

I do prefer the green jacket though. =P
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
Call me crazy but I think Takeshi "Beat" Kitano might not be such a bad choice for Zenigata. I would really like to see him in a more 'comedic' role. Tom Hanks would be an OK choice too.

It's too bad he's getting up there in age, otherwise i would have chosen Beat for Goemon, he is Zatoichi afterall.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:25 am Reply with quote
king_micah wrote:
Tom Cruise would be the Perfect Lupin. His roles as Ethan Hunt have him with the right hair and attitude. He might even be interested in the role with his love for classic Japanese cinema.

He lost his acting ability past Born on the Fourth of July. Now he's just eye candy, and contributes nothing to any of his films except that. He doesn't seem to draw out characters anymore, and his recent acting looks and feels almost similar, as if he's not getting into the role or character.

Quote:
Now as for Fujiko, there's only one actress in my mind who would be able to play her role. Her name is Mia Kirshner. She's a great actress, plus she's hot and I think she looks like Fujiko.

I rather chose Kelly Brook. At least she has the chest size to match Fujiko's exagerated measurements (I think 35E?).
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Rumour has it Colin Farrell, Jean Reno and Tadanobu Asano have been cast for Lupin, Jigen, and Goemon respectively. Anyway, Spielberg's busy making a quick buck on the live-action Transformers.
Proman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
king_micah wrote:

He lost his acting ability past Born on the Fourth of July. Now he's just eye candy, and contributes nothing to any of his films except that. He doesn't seem to draw out characters anymore, and his recent acting looks and feels almost similar, as if he's not getting into the role or character.

That is not true. Tom Cruise is a fine actor and he's been in some great movies (I'm planning to see Collateral). However I don't think he would make a good Lupin.

Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Quote:

I rather chose Kelly Brook. At least she has the chest size to match Fujiko's exagerated measurements (I think 35E?).

So according to you, the best actress to play Fujiko would be some pr0n star Wink ?
LuckyAstei

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:17 pm Reply with quote
personally I'd say Bruce Camble would do a good Lupin...he's got the comdeic timing for it. as for Jigen I'd see Richard Dean Anderson for it and Goemon (although he's a bit old for this role Toshio Mofumi back in his prime)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:34 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Rumour has it Colin Farrell, Jean Reno and Tadanobu Asano have been cast for Lupin, Jigen, and Goemon respectively.

Farrell? That has to be the surest way to ruin the movie I've ever heard. No one that I know of would be a better Lupin than Jim Carey, he could play the comedy well and then easily shift to a more serious tone when needed. As far as Fujiko, I believe Monica Belucci would be perfect. Just think of her role in The Matrix to see what I mean.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:04 am Reply with quote
Proman wrote:

Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Quote:

So according to you, the best actress to play Fujiko would be some pr0n star Wink ?

Well, Cicciolina was unavaliable due to her boobs running for Italian Political Office again.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:55 am Reply with quote
ShellBullet wrote:
Farrell? That has to be the surest way to ruin the movie I've ever heard. No one that I know of would be a better Lupin than Jim Carey, he could play the comedy well and then easily shift to a more serious tone when needed.

How about George Clooney as Lupin? Just watch him as Batman or Daniel Ocean and you might get my idea.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:06 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:

How about George Clooney as Lupin? Just watch him as Batman or Daniel Ocean and you might get my idea.

He needs to be funny, not deadpan boring. F*ck Clooney.
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I thought we all already decided that it has to be Bruce Campbell to play Lupin. As for everyone else...I don't know.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3