• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Confirms License of Ano Natsu de Matteru Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Sentai has been dubbing so much lately that I wasn't sure if they were doing sub only releases. Kind of nice to see they are in a way, that still gives less popular titles a chance to se the light of day in the US.

..Buuuut not really interested in this show. All well!
Ingraman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:08 am Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
On top of that it will sounds like it will only be a DVD release.

I'll find out if I'm interested in the series once it starts streaming. If I like it, perhaps I'll order the Japanese release from Amazon, since I don't like buying SD releases when there are HD masters out there. Or maybe ADV will change their minds and at least provide a Blu-ray release alongside the DVD.

We'll see what happens, I guess.
mudduck454

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:45 am Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
mudduck454 wrote:
samurai girls was a good show, in its own right, it was especially visually stunning, all thanks to Shaft.......

SHAFT had nothing to do with Samurai Girls.

Opps, I fixed it, I was thinking of another show at the same time I wrote that.... Wink but I still say the visuals are nice Razz
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:15 am Reply with quote
I see Ohana jumped from her series to this one.

What? That's not Ohana?

Embarassed

Yeah, character bleeding was inevitable when there's only 3 molds and 12,389 hair styles.

At any rate...

*adds series to CR queue
Mc-Taz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:55 am Reply with quote
If you think that's Ohana then I guess you never watched Please Teacher or Please Twins.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
Sentai has been dubbing so much lately that I wasn't sure if they were doing sub only releases. Kind of nice to see they are in a way, that still gives less popular titles a chance to se the light of day in the US.

..Buuuut not really interested in this show. All well!

Totally missed that this is going to be a sub-only DVD release. Really odd to state that from the outset considering the show has yet to air, though I guess that if it turns out to be the greatest thing since Madoka Magica, they'll upgrade the release.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:56 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
1945113 wrote:
darn it D;. I was really hoping they would dub this one awww Anime cry.

Why?
I probably won't agree with the reasoning but could you try to help me at least understand why you had hoped this particular show would get a dub.

I hoped it would get a dub because I hope every show I like gets a dub; not that I think that's a realistic expectation. I hope they get dubs because I like to hear the show in English and I like most of the casts that are chosen here, even though I also watch fansubs and also like the Japanese versions.

I'm not sure why it's unusual to like more than one version of something.
Wakazhi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:30 am Reply with quote
If this show gets good numbers during streaming, Sentai may reconsider the option of a blu-ray release. Remember, Clannad started out dvd and sub-only, but later on it eventually got a dubbed release, and then finally a blu-ray release! So who knows, if the show is awesome and becomes popular enough for a blu-ray/dubbed release, I doubt that Sentai Filmworks will hesitate on doing that! Smile
CrisGer A.A.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:00 am Reply with quote
And having just watched the ninth episode i can very safely way this is one of the best if not THE best anime series to come along in many years..since FMP perhaps. It is superb in every imaginable way, Design, character design, story, art, animation, music, and ambience. It is powerful, tender, mature, sophisticated, yet open to just about any age group and background. I predict it will do very very well not only in Japan where they are airing a Radio show and a new Manga is starting about it to the US and beyond where everywhere i see positive reviews and comments.

It is wonderful too be listening and watching its debut, i watch the RAW version from Japan and enjoy it all, it is really a wonderful work of art and superb ......i am so glad to see Anime so alive and well with a masterpiece like this. Bravo and Domo Arigoato!
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:08 am Reply with quote
Can't blame Sentai for picking this one up, it is the sort of show that would do well in the States.

However, not dubbing it is pretty annoying. Some shows wouldn't really benefit from a dub, but this one would.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:09 am Reply with quote
Huge Taraku Uon fan here, I may buy it for this reason alone. Besides, I need to do more supporting of Sentai Filmworks.
Nayu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:58 am Reply with quote
Awaiting preorder availability. Blu-ray me please, it deserves better than dvd.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:15 am Reply with quote
Count me as one of the disappointed ones too for a DVD-only release...
Though I'd probably get it if there's a Sentai sale on rightstuf

I guess we can expect this to continue for just about every drama, romance, and slice-of-life Sentai show Sad

(I wish NISA got it instead now)
CrisGer A.A.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:40 pm Reply with quote
From what i hear from Japan from people in the biz, there is talk of a Blu ray as the response has been very good, above expectations and yes i agree the director and character design team on this really was the right choice for the story. There were so many traps they could have fallen into with the almost Harem aspects, and the love triangles and switches and the alien girl but what they did was make it all very real and ...feel "ordinary" ..they handled the alien part so well it merges flawlessly with the story and there is no slight of hand and behind the curtain sillyness needed.

the two main characters are two of my all time favs so far among all the countless series I have watched and studied, and I expect in the final episodes we may see some more mastery of the art of anime. I keep hoping the door is left open for a sequel, i can think of a lot of good ways to go but for now, I am going to enjoy it and order it for sure, and as I said, dont give up hope on fuller releases and even possibly a dub. What is happening due to the economy the earthquake and many other factors i think is that the decisions about final outcome for series are taking place later in the event stream, witness the radio show and the manga happening After premiere of the series...so they are being cautious but i do think they know ..like we do, that they have a big time winner here.

And I have to say, as anime art styles is one of my special interests, the art and design of this series is superb..they went for a heightened colour pallette and it works and with some of the times of day, like the special lit afternoon scenes and especially the night scenes it is an extrordinarily successful approach, review some of the night scenes and see what I mean, they are really really well done, and some of the main plot events and revelations take place at night, which echoes the space theme....

full kudos to the entire team and to Sentai

This is I think in spite of the youthful characters and younger nature of the plot, a very mature anime showing the great evolution of the art and style of anime series over the past three decades and I have a feeling from this and several other series being released currently or just finished we are entering another Golden Age of the art and craft where story, art, character, and delivery are all intergrated and worked on by the finest hands in the trade...lucky us.

Last edited by CrisGer A.A. on Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:44 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Count me as one of the disappointed ones too for a DVD-only release...

Call me old-fashioned but I'd rather have a dub than a Blu-Ray release, especially for this show. Of course having both would be nice, but if I had to choose . . .
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3