• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Papa Don't Creep

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vinamara

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Hm, I don't see Daily Lives of High School Boys in the list.

Well, Chihayafuru is definitely on the top of my list now. The Queen's match where she displayed her Silent Karuta technique totally numbed my senses. The eery sound effect caused when Shinobu nudges the card away is a real nice touch. Its amazing that she doesn't even touch the floor.

Another's second on my list especially since the brutal third episode which had me feeling my neck.

Nisemonogatari and The Daily Lives of High School Boys rule the third spot with their spot on comedic antics.

I'm slightly interested in Space Pirates too now that I'm getting used to the pace.

So in the end the only thing that I don't agree with Bamboo's list is that Another is placed so low. I don't see why Another, which has a better storytelling and visual setting should be placed so low beneath Future Diary, which has become a joke and should be off the list by now.

Another definitely succeeds where Future Diary doesn't since they share the same genre. I guess Bamboo is treading carefully with the former since she only saw two episodes. I hope the third episode changes her mind.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:02 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:

By the way, what happened with the Persona 4 series?

Ahhhhh that's a good question. That slipped through the cracks. It'll be back on the next column.

vinamara wrote:

Hm, I don't see Daily Lives of High School Boys in the list.

It's not streaming anywhere.
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo Dong wrote:
I've never approved of Yukki's silly high school relationship with the nutbag Yuno, but things really dove off the deep end.

But wait, it isn't a high school relationship, they are 14 year-old 2nd year middle school students!!!! Yes, that adds a whole new level of ick to the scenes with Yuno spoiler[in her underwear], not to mention the episode where Yuki's mom encourages them spoiler[to have sex as long as they don't make any babies]!

Future Diary is close to losing me, but it is so over the top that I keep watching...

So far, I agree mostly with your assessments of the new series, with the exception of Lagrange. I haven't seen episode 3, but episode 2 showed Madoka spoiler[having a nice mini-heroic-BSOD and the robot that is mind-melded to her from an accident 10 years ago shutting down in response]. Sure, she went out, but she had a fit about doing it and when she did, spoiler[her mind wasn't in the right place for the robot]. In addition, spoiler[the emotionally cold, white haired stereotype actually showed emotion! I didn't think that was allowed! (At least not until near the end of the season, like in Kore wa Zombie Desuka? or in an alternate timeline like Disappearance of H. Suzumyia.)]

I would also rate InuXBoku SS and Ano Natsu higher. I find InuxBoku's reluctant tsundere a refreshing take on the trope, and there is a lot of good comedy in it. Never having seen the Onegai series, I don't mind the similarity with Ano Natsu and I find the characters fun. I like the leading lady's flustered fish-out-of-water style and the complications that arise from the accident in the opening scene are extremely funny, even if they are not original. (Originality is frequently over-rated. Tropes are everywhere. If they are used well, it makes a good story. If they are tossed together poorly, they don't... Yeah, Lagrange will probably drop due to this, but I haven't had that problem with Ano Natsu yet...)

OK, maybe I don't agree with your ranking quite so closely after all... LOL!

Next time you'll need to add (or drop) High School DxD, Symphogear, and Milky Holmes 2, which are all on NicoNico (and one on Funimation...)
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:31 pm Reply with quote
My watchlist goes like this

Natsume Yuujin Cho - still my favorite, even better this season with the first two episodes featuring the sinister, self serving Matoba.

Hunter X Hunter / Chihayafuru - tied for 2nd place here. Love Chihayafuru for all the reasons everyone else does, but Hunter X Hunter is such pure entertainment. I love ambiguous characters like Hisoka. The scary clown thing really works for me. Both these shows eat up the time, and are over too soon. Great entertainment.

Brave 10 - I guess I get the same entertainment value out of this show like I did with Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas. The characters are so over-the-top. I realize there is some sort of guilty-pleasure-factor at work here for me. It must be a personal problem. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

Inu X Boku - I like the way they are developing the characters, though I find fox-boy a little pathetic, actually. I'm curious to see where they will go with this, which is a good sign.

Moretsu Pirates - good stuff so far, though the boob-sock spacesuit was pushing the "stupid" boundaries for me. So far, this is a show that I am enjoying streaming, but not sure I would buy it on DVD. That may change if it develops into a true adventure story.

Knight in the Area - Will keep watching, but can't say I anticipate this show every week. Unlike Giant Killing which I would watch as soon as it was posted. Now that was a soccer anime!

Another - on hold for a marathon session at a later date. This is the type of show that will make me crazy waiting for it on a week-to-week basis.

Dropped: Future Diary, and probably Persona 4. The characters in the former have absolutely no redeemable features, and the latter because I just "forget" to watch it (which means it isn't keeping my interest)

Still watching Gintama, Sket Dance and Fairy Tail weekly. Hit-and-miss, but entertaining anyway
Pandeinos

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:36 pm Reply with quote
@Megiddo - on Chihayafuru episode 13 spoiler[ I took it that she collapsed from some combination of heat exhaustion and stress. It did show her vision blurring earlier in the episode (actually, I thought that was why we got the slow-mo when Shinobu walked by - she was getting disorientated. Also, they kept talking about how hot it was outside, and how wearing hakama was making it so much worse. And from a storytelling standpoint, I think it accomplished the practical matter of cutting down on the number of back-to-back karuta matches they had to include. (Same with having Chihaya face Shinobu in such an early round.) ]
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Chihayafuru
If you could add a vocal element to Dutch Blitz (just about the most complicated English speed game I know) you might have something like.... No, still wouldn't be Karuta... but it might make a good anime.... Bunch of Mennonite and Amish youths yelling out "Buggy! Pump! Bucket! Plow!" maybe mixed in with some Pennsylvania Dutch. Wink

Hunter X Hunter
I made a larger post about this in its show thread but I figured I'd mention it here too. Doesn't anyone else have a problem with the fact that the Hunter exam is largely licensed murder of the best and brightest applicants? You don't have to kill your target, but its fine if you want to do so, and BTW, we're perfectly fine with letting psychotic murders participate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Sooooo glad I gave Space Pirates a chance!!! Along with Chihayafuru, Natsume, and Hunter X Hunter, I have no complaints!!

I "might" drop InuXBoku. Soushi is just too creepy for my taste.
I get that he's supposed to be bait for female viewers but there's nothing cute or innocent about him. If they develop the characters more, than I'll continue.

Another is starting to become a bit too predictable. After watching episode 3, I think I've figured out why Misaki is being nice to Koichi: spoiler[his mom must have known her when she was still alive 26 years ago.]

And, while I do believe the level of insanity and creepiness (spoiler[ in Ep. 15, Yuno was gonna make Yuki piss in a f$%#ing horn and they're 14 years old!!!]) has reached the critical point, I might finish Future Diary and see what's left of this... odd show.

Edit: Text deleted

Last edited by Keichitsu0305 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raneth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:42 pm Reply with quote
High School Boys and Symphogear didn't get picked up to stream anywhere? That's a shame-those are the two I'm enjoying most this season. I can't even explain why I like Symphogear-it's such a yo-yo show, even within episodes. But it's piqued my interest, so I'm going with it.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:01 pm Reply with quote
mike.motaku wrote:
My interest is mostly piqued by the companies that license shows for release in the US before they've even aired in Japan. Sentai picked Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere, which is apparently a big pile of crap, but also Bodacious Space Pirates which, unless it really tanks later, is the surprise hit of the season. NISA picks Brave 10, which looked all kinds of awesome from the trailer but is a giant turd once you start watching it.

Horizon is really a series that tends to have different opinions everywhere I've talked about it. I for one enjoyed it as nothing as a guilty pleasure popcorn show. It's just something to kill some time with. Pirates, apparently though, isn't really liked in Japan because it doesn't have "fanservice" in the traditional sense and is more or less long lengthy ship "fanservice." I for one say it's Harlock + Outlaw Star + Rule 63.
Quote:

But mostly, it speaks ill of the writing. I get that sometimes at the end of the day, you just want to see some stuff explode, and maybe some girl straddle a scooter, but if there's no effort to write any motivations into either the good guys or the bad guys, then it ends up just being boring. Even the Harlem Globetrotters have a motivation for playing basketball. The least Lagrange could do is back up its robot fights with some “why?”s.

They're probably going to explain that later. Note Array and Lan being worried in Episode 3. I, for one, really like the writing in Lagrange. It plays on the fact it seems self-aware and has fun with it. While it's nothing to write home about, it's fun and that's all that really matters. That and Lan, who totally makes the show for me. "Woof" is definitely awesome after a while.

Overall, yeah. This season is definitely mixed in terms of not-so-great vs great.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm so sad that Chihayafuru has so poor a chance at being released here on DVD. I realize it's s niche title, and it wouldn't warrant a dub, but I want to own it all the same. It's such a character-driven piece, I love that to no end.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
It's worth noting that FUNimation just posted a survey about new anime titles that the company could look into licensing and Chihayafuru was among the surveyed titles. If you're looking to give a local distributor your two cents about this or other recent titles, now's the time!

FUNi's twitter post:
Quote:
http://bit.ly/ztGpGK #FUNimation 2012 New Title #Survey! Let us know what you think. We needs lots of opinions, so please RT.

Thanks for posting this, I just voted for Chihayafuru.

The Stream wrote:
After the events of the hospital explosion, Yuno decides it's time for a nice little vacation with her beau Yukki. Things are pretty good, until, oh, she drugs the hell out of him, kidnaps him and drags him to an abandoned town.

That's actually both funny, scary, and creepy as Yuno's twisted stalker personality logically concludes that the best way to protect Yukki is to hide him (since everyone seems to be gunning for #1). Of course, he might disagree in some way so what follows next is perfectly logical to Yuno's twisted way of thinking. After all, its all in his best interests right?

Quote:
Naturally, all their friends show up, because they realize that Yuno is a basket of crazy, but find themselves in a highly unlikely situation where she's a) set up a gas chamber killing room that's b) rigged with a fairly sophisticated surveillance system and has c) organized an elaborate trap for everyone. I don't know how long these two kids have been on vacation, but I don't think she had the time to get all that together on a meager high school student budget. But maybe she's been saving up all her paper route money.

Yea, I wasn't too crazy about the gas chamber situation. I think it was something different in the manga. I thought the surveillance system was ok because it belonged to the hotel they were staying at. If I remember the previous episode the friends spoiler[were looking for places that still had electricity].

Quote:
Just to make things more fun/convenient for the writers, almost everyone has a Future Diary now. They're pretty much handing these things out like prizes on Oprah.
spoiler[Maybe, maybe not].

I'm a bit conflicted about Future Diary, for the most part I liked the manga (except for the very end). It was a real page turner and you were constantly wondering what Yuno was going to do next and if Yukki could control her. The show seems to have kept the quick pace of the manga (maybe faster), but lost some of the excitement that made you want to read the next chapter or three. I'm still going to stick with it to see how they handle certain situations and how it finally turns out.
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Haha. I haven't caught more than a few minutes of an episode of Another, but from what I saw, it looks to be along the lines of an accidental murder story? But like I said, I have no idea. I just saw the ending to an episode on TV.
sillyriri

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
The Stream wrote:
I've commented about this in the column and on Twitter before, but Chihayafuru is unique in that every single episode is really damned good. Every week, I wonder if maybe we're due for a sub-par episode, but every week, the series delivers a consistent, emotional high.

Okay, I really love Chihayafuru. I really do. It was my favorite fall anime and it remains my favorite anime for winter currently. However, episode 13 was that episode. It truly was. The only episode of Karuta madness that I did not enjoy. Having spoiler[Chihaya randomly lose consciousness in the very first team match was just incredibly stupid. It wasn't hinted at one bit that she was sick/exhausted, nor was it ever explained, and hell, she was up completely fine the next day. Hell, the episode opened with her asking the gods at the shrine that the team be spared from any accidents and that she didn't need any miracles. Was the exhaustion supposed to be her getting punished for not asking for a miracle?] Seriously, what the hell was the author thinking? That was incredibly stupid. Still though, the match between Chihaya and Shinobu made up for that easily.

spoiler[I actually agree completely that Chihaya randomly passing out was a lame 'twist', and it definitely needed more explanation, but I don't think it's really that unrealistic. I personally have a tendency to faint in hot weather, and moving quickly between two extremes- like, say, the heat outside, and an air-conditioned room- triggers it even more. This generally comes with no warning at all.]
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I feel a little exhausted after every time I read this column. Not that I'm complaining. It is a good pain.

willag wrote:
The only shows I have a particular interest in now are Chihayafuru and Bootylicious Space Privateering Babes (eh, close enough). I'll probably pick up Chihayafuru soon and then follow-up with ARR! Real Booby Pirates when it is close to being finished.

I'll probably check out some others after they're all finished, but I don't feel any strong drive to see 'em now.

EDIT: I loved the images you chose for some of the series. We got some serious boobilicious for Bodonkadonk, and Hisoka's face in Hunter just about threw me out of my chair. Laughing

This made me laugh. I think that it's now official that Bodacious Space Pirates has the best title ever. It's unintentionally, or so I think, ridiculous English title has become endearing. The review here captures a lot of my own opinion about the series, especially as to how Marika is portrayed. I really like that it seems be trying to make going into space feel a momentous and wondrous; it plays into the 'old school science-fiction' feeling that I get from the show.

I feel pretty well the same way as far as what I'm interested in this season, except perhaps that I might watch some of Inu X Boku SS because I'm wondering what the it is as well as a little of Lagrange ~The Flower of Rin-Ne~ for comparison with Spongepirates Spacepanties since Bamboo drew a comparison between them and Tatsuo Sato has his fingers in both pies, but it's uncertain as to what extent.

Raneth wrote:
High School Boys and Symphogear didn't get picked up to stream anywhere? That's a shame-those are the two I'm enjoying most this season. I can't even explain why I like Symphogear-it's such a yo-yo show, even within episodes. But it's piqued my interest, so I'm going with it.

It was announced yesterday that Senki Zesshō Symphogear would be streamed through NicoNico; the column had presumably already been written by the time it was announced; whether it and the other titles announced will be integrated into The Stream, I can't say.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DJcream

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Welcome back Bamboo. I dunno how you can endure going through the gauntlet of mediocre 2012 anime every week but that's an amazing feat.

Personally, I usually use weak seasons like this to get caught up or revisit on past shows. Aside from watching Chihayafuru and Another on Crunchyroll, I'm checking out Ef ~ a tale of memories is beginning to stream on Anime Network and rewatching Gundam Seed on the GundamInfo Youtube channel.

Question: With NicoNico picking up High School DxD and Symphogear, will those be added in the next Stream article? I can already rule out Milky Holmes 2 as a no-go being a sequel and all.

I'm hesitant to start watching Symphogear considerin' all of the previews I've read about it but my love for shows with cool soundtracks and Nana Mizuki is too much. But if Blood-C was the last anime to follow that trend, coincidentally also on NicoNico, at least I get to read the trollish comments to help get by.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6