• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Lucky Star DVD 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
se37

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Lucky Star is such a great show... while the humor can be a hit or miss and some of it will fly right over your head. I'm really glad Bandai is shipping it with notes on it, course I'm still buying the SE version of the series with Volume 4 just coming out. Sorry to everyone but I can't stand the dub, it's not that it's a bad dub but I love the original japanese track. Mostly cause the voices on it sound just right to me then again I've been watching the series since last year and re-watched the series at least 5 times already so it could also be that I'm just use to them. Stopped listening to the dub after episode 6
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
bleuster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:05 am Reply with quote
se37 wrote:
Stopped listening to the dub after episode 6

I don't blame you, but maybe when you're up to watching the series again it might be worth to check it out. There are a few stand out performances worth a watch.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this in the reviews, yet, but the shirts that come with the special editions are pretty interesting to note.
Vol. 1 and 2 come with XL sized Fruit of the Looms.
Vol. 3 shirt stays XL, but switches over to Hanes.
Vol. 4 goes down to a Large sized Hanes. (perfect fit for me!)
Just thought I'd share.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Yuukichan's Papa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I think what makes Lucky Star work so well is that it works on multiple levels. The slice-of-life humor and the archetypes to which the characters conform is for the most part universal, while the references to pop culture - obscure or otherwise - are there for those who are able to recognize and enjoy them.

While I got a lot of the cultural references, the pop culture references - especially the older/more obscure ones - went completely over my head, and even though I KNEW they did, I was having too much fun with the characters to care all that much.

More than the hyped up barrage of anime and manga homages, the show works because the characters and the interactions between them are so utterly enjoyable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2