• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Howl's Moving Castle Wins at Venice

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I've seen the trailer, and it looks lame. It's sad that she has to resort to robbing the cradle to win an Oscar.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Wow, no surprise there. GATSU has a problem with a great actress such as Kidman. By "robbing the cradle to win an Oscar" are you somehow refering to the movie The Hours?

Anyway, I think it's great Howl won any award. It's comforting to know that with each film Miyazaki gets more and more international awards. Miyazaki looks to be the key to getting more respect for animation here in America. I hope it gets nominated for more awards at other film festivals.

And geeze, every time I go to the book store I always forget to see if they have Howl's Moving Castle, and somehow when I DO remember, they don't have it. I need to hurry up and read that before I see the film.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
LordByronius wrote:

And hey, I'm just glad that stupid "controversial" movie with Nicole Kidman didn't win squat.

Have you actually seen "Birth" (that's the name of the movie)? Or are you judging it solely based on it's premise?

I've had one friend at that showing....he says that people were actually booing when "that scence" came up.

Supposedly, the opposite reaction has pushed the movie back for re-tooling or put back into development hell.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure why she's "great". I mean if she wasn't married to Tom Cruise, she wouldn't even have a career, since her movies have generally been flops and/or disappointments.
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:53 pm Reply with quote
"Birth" has recieved nothing but terrible, bad ink since its first press screening. The studio played damage control and liked to say, "oh, well, those were only a handful of people reacting to the controversy." Then at Venice it turns out they were wrong. EVERYBODY HATED IT.

And no, I'm not angry at Kidman for "robbing the cradle," I'm just relieved the film didn't win, because she really can't act and all the reviews have been awful.

Of course, all of that is veering this thread into off-topic territory. Congrats to Miyazaki for this award!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:56 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I'm not sure why she's "great". I mean if she wasn't married to Tom Cruise, she wouldn't even have a career, since her movies have generally been flops and/or disappointments.

I understand. It all makes sense to me. I mean, it's like this;

If you didn't have Zac, you would be a nothing on these forums, since your posts are usually flops and/or disappointments.

Nicole Kidman is a fine actress who's been nominated for an Oscar twice, not to mention has one it at least once, among other awards. She was making movies befor she married Tom, and she would of made it eventually on her talent.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:44 pm Reply with quote
the plot of that movie sounds boring as hell, why it would it get a standing ovation? i hate indie art types
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:32 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
the plot of that movie sounds boring as hell, why it would it get a standing ovation? i hate indie art types

Same could be said for Anime Fans. We'd probably give a standing ovation to Anpan-Man. Razz
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:07 am Reply with quote
greenwolf:
Quote:
If you didn't have Zac, you would be a nothing on these forums, since your posts are usually flops and/or disappointments.

...If you hadn't been busy writing a yaoi fanfic, you'd probably be able to think of a better comeback.

Quote:
Nicole Kidman is a fine actress who's been nominated for an Oscar twice, not to mention has one it at least once, among other awards.

The Academy doesn't usually give awards to people or films who deserve it, but whoever bribes them with enough money.

Quote:
She was making movies befor she married Tom, and she would of made it eventually on her talent.

Perhaps, but he's the reason she got bigger roles.
axleu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:39 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
greenwolf:
Quote:

...If you hadn't been busy writing a yaoi fanfic, you'd probably be able to think of a better comeback.

Quote:
Nicole Kidman is a fine actress who's been nominated for an Oscar twice, not to mention has one it at least once, among other awards.

The Academy doesn't usually give awards to people or films who deserve it, but whoever bribes them with enough money.

Quote:
She was making movies befor she married Tom, and she would of made it eventually on her talent.

Perhaps, but he's the reason she got bigger roles.

Yeah, right...exactly like Penélope Cruz!!!! Rolling Eyes
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:39 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Quote:

The only instance I'd agree with something like this (that I can remember) is when "Outkast - Hey Ya" won a grammy for song of the year. That must have been one hell of a bribe.

And Nicole Kidman is a decent actress. =/
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:08 am Reply with quote
Importantly the award gives that leverage to the film so Tokuma Shoten and Disney can advertise it as a Venice Film Festival award winner, and that can't be bad at all. Secondly it's going to be a dark horse in the Academy Award race. You can be certain Shrek 2 will be nominated, and Pixar's The Incredibles will be there too- but you have to give Howl more than an even chance to take home the Oscar. Frankly I wouldn't mind seeing Katzenberg with another sour face.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
MorfeoW

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:11 pm Reply with quote
The best movie of the Mostra di Venezia was "Mar adentro" of Alejandro Amenabar, a great movie. It will win many awards in the next future, sure.
Not Much To Say

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:22 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

"Indie art types" are the only ones keeping the movies from going to the same toilet as every other media. Do you think Hollywood produces anything of value?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:13 pm Reply with quote
It's not going to be in this year's Oscar race because it's not coming to American theatres until next year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4