• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FUNimation Licenses Samurai 7

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:50 pm Reply with quote
kangarugh22 wrote:
And yes, I am complaining that I can't watch it for free anymore. People in Japan get to watch it by paying for cable.

But that's just the point. You watch it for free, they pay for cable, and they give their time to watch the ads. They aren't seeing it for free. It doesn't cost them a lot, but its not free, and that little bit that they do give, is what bring Gonzo a good portion of their money.

Quote:
I'm in college and I don't have tons of money to spend 30 dollars on terrible dubs with 3 episode per disc.
I can't afford a Ferrari, but I'm not going to steal one. (I ordered a Lotus instead Anime smallmouth;; ). Likewise, you shouldn't steal cable, or any service just because you can't afford it. Same goes for anime. If you aren't willing to live by those kinds of morals, that's fine, not everyone is a 100% law abiding citizen. But don't complain when companies try to do legit business aimed at paying customers. Just live with the fact that your free ride for this show is either over, or a little more complicated.

Quote:
30 dollars on terrible dubs with 3 episode per disc.
When's the last time FUNimation released a DVD with 3 episodes for $30? Hint. What's more, you can typically pay $5 less than SRP, so that brings the price down to $14.98 to $19.98 for 3-4 episodes of high quality video, audio, with the original language track, and faithful subtitles. It might still be too expensive for some people, but it's not that expensive.

Quote:
I pay for cable and get a lot of channels that aren't worth my time.

You pay for US cable. Not a cent of it goes back to Gonzo, so it doesn't entitle you to their product. That would be like saying that you pay for a subscription to one gym, aren't happy with their services, and expect to use another gym for free.

A word to the wise, the more people act like you, the less patience the US licensors will have with fansubs. At this point, FUNimation is within their legal right to sue every fansubber that put out a Samurai 7 fansub before they picked up the license. Most people don't realize that's a possibility, but it is. This isn't going to happen, not today, and not from FUNimation... but some companies down the road might get fed up and decide to start taking actions like that.

-t

Last edited by Tempest on Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:08 pm; edited 4 times in total
kangarugh22

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:51 pm Reply with quote
1. I watch the subs on the DVDs that I have... but you're paying all that money for the crap that the dubbing company does.

2. Yes, I know what "bilingual" means. I'm learning two languages now so that could eventually make me TRIlingual. Oooooh, new word! You see, tri- means "three".

3. I didn't say anywhere in my post that 4Kids had Naruto. I was saying that Naruto could fall to a similar fate. Just to make you all happier, I'm downloading an episode of it right now. =P

4. I have to pay for an apartment every month, so I don't exactly have extra money.

Let's see how much more you guys can flip out on me after this post. Rolling Eyes
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:57 pm Reply with quote
kangarugh22 wrote:
2. Yes, I know what "bilingual" means. I'm learning two languages now so that could eventually make me TRIlingual.

Not unless you could get by in every day life with any of the three. Hold a passable conversation, get tech support on the telephone, request a bank loan, etc...

I studied Spanish for two years and spent a month in SPain, I can do half the above things in Spanish. I also studied Mandarin for a year, and, well, I can order food and ask for directions.... Never would I consider myself quadrilingual (I speak English & French fluently).

But I digress, that's a little off topic.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:06 pm Reply with quote
kangarugh22 wrote:
3. I didn't say anywhere in my post that 4Kids had Naruto. I was saying that Naruto could fall to a similar fate.

Could... Might... Might not. It might get a perfectly fair treatment from one of the companies, and include faithful, unedited subtitles that will appeal to those that hate American dubs.

Just because something could happen doesn't mean it will... As a college student you must know by now not to go through life limiting your actions because of what could happen. If not, you'll figure it out when you grow up a bit more.

-t
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:08 pm Reply with quote
kangarugh22 wrote:
1. I watch the subs on the DVDs that I have... but you're paying all that money for the crap that the dubbing company does.

What, so I'm not allowed dubs anymore according to the word of mr. leech? Why must you be so selfish? To be fair, why should I have to pay for someone to time, subtitle, and time subtitles for a track I will never listen to?
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:12 pm Reply with quote
kangarugh22 wrote:

Actually it's much cheaper to buy Bilingual DVDs instead of sub only. Sub only releases tend to be much more expensive, because fact is, most people watch dubs. Sub only releases don't sell nearly as well, which leads to higher prices.

kangarugh22 wrote:

4. I have to pay for an apartment every month, so I don't exactly have extra money.

Most of what I would say has already been covered by tempest and Bamboo.. but I pay for an apartment every month too.. and utilities, and a car, and food, and cable, and internet access... and I can still buy anime. I don't make a ton of money, but I save what I can so that I can buy the DVDs.

If you don't like most of the channels that are on cable, then why don't you cancel it and save the money? Confused
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:19 pm Reply with quote
MasterFuu wrote:
Calm down people. It cracks me up to see editors fall this low and start fighting with some sorry college student Smile

1) I'm not an editor
2) I'm a college student too. Anime hyper

kangarugh22 wrote:

Let's see how much more you guys can flip out on me after this post.

Forget it. You're seriously not worth my time. Something tells me that I could bombard you with logic and facts for the rest of my natural lifespan, and none of it would sink in. I can only hope you the best of success in life so someday, some kid will steal your stuff because they can't afford to go by their own.

Last edited by ANN_Bamboo on Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
kangarugh22

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Haha, good one. I'm sure every person here can honestly say they don't download anime... Rolling Eyes

Alright, I'm done fighting with all of you but I'll keep coming back to read your unnecessary angry posts.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:28 pm Reply with quote
kangarugh22 wrote:
Haha, good one. I'm sure every person here can honestly say they don't download anime... Rolling Eyes

That's not the issue, sweetie. The issue is: it's selfish and greedy to be angry when companies license a show because "zomg, now I can't watch the whole thing for free, even though I should be thankful that fansubbers already provided me with a free preview of a show."
kangarugh22

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I lied... I'm posting again. haha

So you get your "preview" of half of the show and then you find out that you'll have to wait a year or more to see the rest just when it's getting good. That's not a little disappointing to you?
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:55 pm Reply with quote
kangarugh22 wrote:
Ok, I lied... I'm posting again. haha

So you get your "preview" of half of the show and then you find out that you'll have to wait a year or more to see the rest just when it's getting good. That's not a little disappointing to you?

Nope. If I like the series enough, I'll be willing to wait. Plus it's hardly ever "a year or more." More like "a few months."
Animefreak08

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:14 pm Reply with quote
These last posts have been quite entertaining, but I tend not to bother with people that have a "ZOMG! it licesned!!111 dubs suxX0rz!!1one" attitude. I am however very glad that FUNi has gotten hold of Gonzo's latest work. I really enjoy it. I really like the Samurai theme and I love Mecha so I am loving this series so far. Now that it is licensed I know that people will continue to sub it, but I will stop(I have up to 12, and I don't care if I have to wait a while(But I download champloo and it's licensed but it is soooo good!Anime hyper)). I am looking forward to buying this on DVD and enjoying the dub that FUNi will provide us with. Also I don't have to spend more time waiting for the episodes to download! Surprised
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
manafairy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Erm... sorry to not thuroughly read through all the previous posts before replying (They all look so argumentative so I don't really want to get involved), but I just feel like giving my 2 cents on this thread. So umm... if no one minds listening to a bit of senseless rambling:

I'm quite ecstatic to hear this was licensed (The first time I saw it I couldn't help but think how gorgeous it's luscious visuals would look on DVD). Although, to be honest, I would have prefered Geneon or Bandai had gotten it. I mean, I'm not complaining because I really don't have anything against Funi, I just like most other distributors better. I think it has something to do with how they redo the openings and endings in english (I don't even want to hear how they do Spiral's opening Anime dazed ) so if you want to watch it dubbed and hear the original songs you'll have to switch back and forth while you watch it. It's annoying, but as long as everything's in tact, I can cope with it Cool

Now if someone can just announce Fafner, everything will be perfect

(On a side note, I'm almost glad I won't be watching it fansubbed anymore. Not only will it be one less thing to worry about downloading, but it means I'll have more to look forward to when it gets released here)
FlyingWok

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Sigh, another DVD set to add to my to-buy list *looks at wallet and weeps* Smile

But alas, even though DVD quality is superb, it's impossible at this point for us to get Samurai 7 in all its high-def glory (unless they sell it as one episode per DVD) because of the format's space limitations. A little disappointing '_'

But then again, how many of us own high-def TVs at home anyway?

Yeah it sucks to have to wait and not get it for free anymore, but I agree with most people here that it'd be great to see it in as high quality as possible, because the grainy XviD video doesn't do it justice!

Think this would be picked up for cable TV showings? I can see it having wide appeal. Even though I prefer subs, I'd be willing to watch a reasonable dub, and it'd save me a few bucks!
Strategos

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm not thrilled that S7 got licensed because I expected it to happen. Sure, I'm not going to lie and say I am not slightly dissapointed that I can't watch it for free anymore, but this isn't the end of the world. Anime prices keep falling and boxsets are even becoming reasonable priced (gasp!). Just have some patience and wait for a boxset, a full series for 100 bucks ain't bad. The problem is that no one has that sort of patience. Sad Oh well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10