• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gia's List: Anime's 6 Deadliest Tournaments

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwdone

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:11 pm Reply with quote
favorite ridiculous, over-the-top, goofy tournament...... Ramen fighter Mikki and the Samurai hold the water in the mouth tournament was very funny to me. But it's not one of the choices.

Right on target with Shigurui: Death Frenzy . Now that's some heavy duty stuff there!
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote
PBsallad wrote:
Rinku from Rokuyuka

Rinku won since Kuwabara lost by time out.

OK, there were a few more that lived, but when you take into account all people that were killed before the tournament even started (like on the ship), the ones that were killed in the background, the ones that were killed in the matches (like the guys Hiei and Toguro killed), the audience members (especially during Shishiwakamaru's little show), and then all the big wigs that were slaughtered, that handful of survivors is meaningless.

The Dark Tournament was extremely deadly with a very high body count and I'm shocked it's excluded, unless it's like Gy Kaliba thinks and it's the mysteriously missing number seven.

EDIT: Nevermind, the title has been changed to 6 Deadliest Tournaments, meaning the Dark Tournament isn't going to show up, and that's absurd. I'd take off Eden of the East spoiler[since only one of the people participating is confirmed dead with two others that may or may not be alive]; Careless Monday didn't even cause casualties. I'm not sure what's deadly about a contest that doesn't cause many deaths.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:44 pm Reply with quote
StaticSabre wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
*cough*DarkTournamentYuYuHausho*cough*

The Dark Tournament was so deadly that entire sections of the crowd died.

XDDD Exactly what I was thinking. That's like the one tournament that should have been listed.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Should be noted that the tournament in Bokurano doesn't just put the whole planet at stake spoiler[but the entire universe it exists in. The tournament was created to "prune" the garden that is the multiverse.] Definitely deserves #1.

Yeah, nothing tops Bokurano. spoiler[Even those who won still suffer massive collateral damage.]

And with Fate/stay night, you could lump all of the Holy Grail Wars in as they always cause massive problems for wherever they take place. The one in Fate/zero in particular is much more harmful to the population than the Fifth War.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I don't know, the Mixed Martial Arts Tournament in Elf 17 was rather harmful to the audience as well. (Ha-HA, once again I have out-obscured you all!)

And for the silly tournament, I was going to go with the Hayate Battle Butler, just for the Utena parody, but I can't pass up on Dragon Half and Dick Saucer (best anime name evar?). Besides, at the end there is a shot of Mink's tits, which makes it superior in my book. (God bless 90's OVAs!)
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
I don't know, the Mixed Martial Arts Tournament in Elf 17 was rather harmful to the audience as well. (Ha-HA, once again I have out-obscured you all!)

Saw it just a few days ago, actually. It's not wide-scale enough to be that deadly, and it was just some aliens.
Shiyonasan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
I haven't personally experienced HxH, but isn't it pretty much one huge tournament at first too?

Sort of. It's more of a series of exams than a tournament, though the last exam is an elimination tournament. One of the rules of that elimination tournament is that you can't kill your opponent because that results in automatically losing the tournament. You also can't win by beating your opponent unconscious. The only way to win is to make your opponent admit defeat. As long as the participants don't kill their opponent or beat them unconscious, they can make their opponent admit defeat however they want. All but one of the participants can win the tournament.

Although there are some cringe-worthy moments in the tournament, I wouldn't say that tournament is as "deadly" as the examples listed in the article.

As for the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai in the Buu arc of Dragon Ball Z, I don't think that would count for this list since the tournaments in this article are mainly deadly for the participants and, sometimes, their loved ones. The 28th Tenkaichi Budokai was only deadly for some of the audience members.
shadow13

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:18 pm Reply with quote
No Dark tournement? Come on Twisted Evil
sainta

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:19 pm Reply with quote
The silly tournaments poll obviously lacks Gintama's Shikigami Tag-Team Mystic Death Match where the silliest things happen:

spoiler[
*Shinpachi falls in love with a demon
*Shinpachi eats a demon
*Gintoki directly attacks the opponents' behind with his index fingers
*A shikigami literally splits Gintoki's balls (!!) and two fighters start controlling them to replicate Dragon Ball's Kamehamehas (and they even name the balls!!)
*Gintoki tries to continue fighting despite having lost his balls...]
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Shiyonasan wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
I haven't personally experienced HxH, but isn't it pretty much one huge tournament at first too?

Sort of. It's more of a series of exams than a tournament, though the last exam is an elimination tournament.

At the same time, half of the anime that made the list aren't traditional tournaments either. They're mostly either free-for-alls (Eden, Fate) or endless rank matches (DW), which isn't much different from the entire exam in HxH which was exceedingly deadly for the participants for a shonen series. It certainly fits as a more deadly series than Eden of the East.

Still, Naruto's Chunin Exam is still my favorite tournament in an anime. Rock Lee vs. Gaara is still one of the best fights in either series.

As far as wacky tournaments go, come on, Ben-To! No holds bared fights over discount bento, how could that not make the poll? I also think there's room for Basquash! in there as well.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Oh snap, Basquash. Giant robots playing basketball. Absolutely should have been on the poll (Plus, the ulterior goal was to find someone who could prevent the moon from crashing into the earth).
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:16 am Reply with quote
Definitely agreed on Bokurano. That was one heck of a "game" the kids played.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:10 am Reply with quote
I don't know, when I thought of "deadly" and "tournament", I really only thought of one series:

Basilisk.

Where did it miss? Was it the deadly part or the tournament part? I guess it was more of a "last man standing" contest than an official "last man standing" tournament. Maybe the audience was too small as it was done for the amusement of one man.

As for Bokurano...
How should I put it, too artifical? A forced set up is one thing but the theme seemd to be spoiler[The only hope is no hope at all. If you win, you die. If you lose, everyone dies. Its a bit on the dark side and the only reason is because the writer hates his audience or his characters. Ok, that's more of a guess.]

As for silliest tournament, I'll go with Battle Athletes Victory and checking the poll {and the definition of tournament as well}, it's a silly tournament series that isn't a silly tournament.

I really got to stop coming up with answers before I check the poll. Queen's Blade would have been number 2 and many people would claim it already is...
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:00 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Should be noted that the tournament in Bokurano doesn't just put the whole planet at stake spoiler[but the entire universe it exists in. The tournament was created to "prune" the garden that is the multiverse.] Definitely deserves #1.

Excellent choice for #1. And as if the "tournament" wasn't bad enough, the kids also had to deal with Koemushi, who's most likely the cruelest, creepiest, most unlikeable mascot-type character in anime.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I don't know, when I thought of "deadly" and "tournament", I really only thought of one series:

Basilisk.

Where did it miss? Was it the deadly part or the tournament part? I guess it was more of a "last man standing" contest than an official "last man standing" tournament. Maybe the audience was too small as it was done for the amusement of one man.
I completely forgot about that, but it should have been on here! Probably didn't get included because it isn't a tournament exactly.... Another that should have been included is Rozen Maiden. It takes a while to actually get deadly (spoiler[no one dies at all in the first season]), but when it hits the second season spoiler[everyone dies. Some are brought back to life, but the series ends with two permanently dead.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3