• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Akame ga Kill! (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:15 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
I like psycho girl. she's renewed my interest in the show

And she started off as such a bubbly sweet thing. You are led to believe she is really sheltered or out of place but way to soft for the environment she is in. Then once the veneer comes off its hell on wheels.

This anime loves that type it seems.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 7:

So the empire is trying to spoiler[frame Night Raid?] No surprise there.

The episode was more of a spoiler[built up so most of the fighting will probably be next time. We'll likely see Bulat and most of his abilities. Oh and Edese was a cunning one this episode by trying to bait Leone.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Another great episode. I liked how it took a little time for it to be made clear that this would be aspoiler[ Bulat development episode]. It helps to not make that approach seem so formulaic. Also, this show is pretty great about making death so sudden and unexpected. It makes it feel more visceral and real. Theyspoiler[ introduce a cute female warrior protecting her father, and give her a cool looking design and personality, so you figure she will be around for a bit. Nope, cut down within a minute of her first appearing, and then apparently skinned alive by one of the capital's warriors.] It also served as another reminder of the balance of good and evil among the aristocracy, since the girl and her father seemed to be of the good variety.

Then, spoiler[the imperial warrior who killed most of the guards of that politician gets instantly sliced in half by Bulat in their first encounter. No long winded speeches, no "you think you beat me, but you haven't seen my true power!!!" He's just dead. On to the next.] It's such a change of pace, and I like how this show is able to switch things up like that on the fly. It's definitely still one of my top shows this season.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Good episode, though not much to talk about.

Kill of the week was satisfying as that spoiler[Double Axe Imperial Arms] user was pretty annoying. It was nice to see a normally cool and collective spoiler[Akame] show some emotion during that scene with Tatsumi.
Esdeath happens to be the most interesting character on the show at the moment for me, so I hope she get's more screen time soon. I don't know why but as soon as she said spoiler["Seeking Love", Tatsumi] came to mind for some strange reason. It would be sickening if it turns out to be true.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:14 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Esdeath] is officially back and out for blood or not?
She's out for spoiler[a husband]... wtf?!
That was certainly unexpected.
spoiler[Akame finally showed emotions.
Tatsumi punched himself?]

Lots of unusual stuff in this episode.
Well, at least he got motivated to train hard.
Dsdeath's spoiler[mustache & grey haired guy (general Liver) would be totally hot without the mustache.]
She is playing dirty too.
Trying to get Night Raid to spoiler[show their face & then get rid of them once and for all.
Luckily, they figured it out & made a trap of their own.
Now it's Esdeath's "dogs " vs Night Raid!
Wow! Bulat]
sure knows how to fight. Impressive.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Oh and Edese was a cunning one this episode by trying to spoiler[ bait Leone.]

I rather liked that too. Leone: very very smart.

What this anime is doing better than any other I have ever watched is exhibit the totally vile perfidy of the bad guys. You really really want to see these guys taken down.

At the same time you aren't perfectly sure that the Night Raid is going to be able to do it. The story has painfully taught us that any character no matter how much you like them can exit stage left. At the rate we are going I feel sure we are going to lose more Night Raid characters but I hope the butchers bill isn't too high.

What also they are doing very well is providing a solid balance for the lead character. Tatsumi is obviously not a weakling and not a fool, but also not wise enough by far. He needs mentoring and he is getting it from the other characters particularly "bro." They play the relationship for yaoi giggles but Bulat does actually render some really worthwhile instruction.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:00 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

I get the feeling that Esdeath is spoiler[going to fall in love with Tatsumi, which is going to actually be pretty scary, than the sort of yay harem].
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 6
spoiler[Bye Sheele. I kinda feel sorry for Justice-chan, under different circumstances, she would have become one of the good guys, But her obsession to avenge her father and mentor(who unknown to her was corrupt), the cyborg implants given to her body which might have messed up her mind, she became a Knight Templar with no mercy.]
PS: I find it funny that both Mamiko and Kana are playing enemies when in real life they're good friends.

Episode 7
So General Esdeath is looking for love.
Didn't expect that from a powerful warrior and sadist. lol
spoiler[So Tatsumi and Bulat now faces off against Bulat's former CO Liver (voice by the great Jouji Nakata!) and Nyau (Hitomi Nabatame), a kid who likes to skin his victims.]
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:27 am Reply with quote
Loved the scene where Akame spoiler[started crying while she and Tatsumi were discussing Sheele.] I'm so glad she didn't end up being one of those emotionless characters.

Bulat is so badass. I thought that spoiler[Daidara would be around for at least another episode, but nope, bisected in one slice.] I just really hope that spoiler[Bulat doesn't die next episode...I mean, it seems too soon to kill another protagonist, but when I really think about it, this show would totally do it...]
Shikiari

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:13 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 7

I get the feeling that Esdeath is spoiler[going to fall in love with Tatsumi, which is going to actually be pretty scary, than the sort of yay harem].

With the sheer amount of characters dropping like flies, I think it would be beneficial (for his sake) to have someone of spoiler[Esdeath ability around Tatsumi. Let's face it, the kids not the best fighter of the bunch and he's almost been killed numerous times already.
That's obviously not going to sit well with Night Raid since they are trying to kill each other]
, so if it's true then it would be very interesting indeed. Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm lovin' this show like a hot cousin at an Ozark Mountains family reunion.

Unlike most shows, I am in a constant state of dread every time a Night Raid peep goes into battle. I figure Tatsumi is safe for a while but virtually everyone else feels like they could be Tostito'd at any time.

I love that Sadistic General is spoiler[looking for love]. That was so unexpected that I burst out laughing. spoiler[Match.com], anyone?
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm lovin' this show like a hot cousin at an Ozark Mountains family reunion.

Unlike most shows, I am in a constant state of dread every time a Night Raid peep goes into battle. I figure Tatsumi is safe for a while but virtually everyone else feels like they could be Tostito'd at any time.

I love that Sadistic General is spoiler[looking for love]. That was so unexpected that I burst out laughing. spoiler[Match.com], anyone?

The general is great lol.

I'm pretty sure Akame and Tatsumi will be safe for the entire series, but i don't read the manga who knows. Just like Eren,Mikasa, and Armin are pretty much safe in AoT, maybe they will die at the very end of the manga. Until then those characters very safe.

And Najenda should be safe for the anime since she doesn't go out to fight that much.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:54 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Stark700 wrote:
Oh and Edese was a cunning one this episode by trying to spoiler[ bait Leone.]

I rather liked that too. Leone: very very smart.

What this anime is doing better than any other I have ever watched is exhibit the totally vile perfidy of the bad guys. You really really want to see these guys taken down.

At the same time you aren't perfectly sure that the Night Raid is going to be able to do it. The story has painfully taught us that any character no matter how much you like them can exit stage left. At the rate we are going I feel sure we are going to lose more Night Raid characters but I hope the butchers bill isn't too high.

What also they are doing very well is providing a solid balance for the lead character. Tatsumi is obviously not a weakling and not a fool, but also not wise enough by far. He needs mentoring and he is getting it from the other characters particularly "bro." They play the relationship for yaoi giggles but Bulat does actually render some really worthwhile instruction.

Interesting discussion I heard in a podcast by a blogger called "Passerby" about Akame ga Kill villains.

"There should be a difference between a villain and a monster."

With the premise of the show you'd expect there to be a bit of a gray area as far as justice goes. But the show makes the scenario entirely black and white. Because these guys are so cartoonistly evil you never get the feeling what the heroes are doing is wrong. In this kind of world I don't think that kind of viewpoint makes any sense. With Justice girl you got what COULD have made for a more engaging narrative. Just because you kill people that deserve it doesn't mean your actions won't harm innocent people. Stuff like that. But now that we have moved onto new villains who once again don't bring much to the table besides being an obstacle to the heroes journey I wonder if the show just never intends to explore these issues and instead will just move onto the next bad guy so they can squeeze in another silly fight.

Yeah the villains provide a challenge to the heroes. That's nice. But that's all they ever are. You don't ever get a sense that what they are doing has another rhyme or reason besides being evil. Some bad things people do are required for society to run properly. Why not talk about stuff like that? Why paint ever bad guy as being completely evil with no way to justify their actions? At this point I don't know if the villains are contributing anything positive to the show. I like to wonder how the good guys will end up dealing with the stronger threats but the villains THEMSELVES are just a log for the heroes to cut in half with an axe.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

They'd need to be a super M to survive Esdeath.

I have the misfortune of knowing people who think that scene totally ruined her character. "They had to wreck another strong female character by making her want a man!"

Some people, I tell you...
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Blood- wrote:

They'd need to be a super M to survive Esdeath.

I have the misfortune of knowing people who think that scene totally ruined her character. "They had to wreck another strong female character by making her want a man!"

Some people, I tell you...

I'm more surprised that romance was even a valid topic in this show. Go figure.

Esdeath from I can understand is the first major multidimensional villain which is what i like about her. She abuses her opponents very harshly and indeed has a crazy streak that plagues everyone in this show but she treats her subordinates very well. Much like how the Night Raid treats each other. They are loyal to her not only because they respect her power but also because she has great respect for them. I was shocked when she wanted to share ice cream with her servants.

In other words she puts them on the same pedestal as her. She doesn't act as if they are not worthy of her time or something silly like that. It's refreshing to say the least.

As for the love thing well...............I thought it was just going to be a fun little quirk in her personality. But the shounen demographic these days probably doesn't take to kindly to romantic elements in a mostly action show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 35