• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: God Eater

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:26 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I'm guessing Lindow is gonna die next episode with how heavy handed the show is being with him passing command and all that. I'd just like a little bit more subtlety from anime when it come to character death.

spoiler[Not exactly. In God Eater Burst, Lindow went MIA at one point after discovering the top secret info and his armlet was devoured by a Dyaus Pita. Without the armlet, his Aragami cells began to slowly corrupt and take him over, eventually turning him into a giant dragon Aragami called Corrosive Hannibal, which was the final boss of GE Burst. The player character has to fight him, but he doesn't die. He's brought back to normal thanks to his God Arc and is still alive in God Eater 2. Since the anime is more or less obeying GE Burst's canon, he won't be dying on us, just like the assumption someone else made that Kouta would die too, but didn't either].
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:11 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
meiam wrote:
I'm guessing Lindow is gonna die next episode with how heavy handed the show is being with him passing command and all that. I'd just like a little bit more subtlety from anime when it come to character death.

spoiler[Not exactly. In God Eater Burst, Lindow went MIA at one point after discovering the top secret info and his armlet was devoured by a Dyaus Pita. Without the armlet, his Aragami cells began to slowly corrupt and take him over, eventually turning him into a giant dragon Aragami called Corrosive Hannibal, which was the final boss of GE Burst. The player character has to fight him, but he doesn't die. He's brought back to normal thanks to his God Arc and is still alive in God Eater 2. Since the anime is more or less obeying GE Burst's canon, he won't be dying on us, just like the assumption someone else made that Kouta would die too, but didn't either].

spoiler[Ehhhhhhhhh I'll count turning into a giant monster close enough to death.]
Zaydgh123

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:55 am Reply with quote
This seems to be following the first game route, I just hope that they do the "Burst" part as an OVA/Movie later on or they should give us a satisfying ending on this airing anime.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:00 am Reply with quote
So Johannes has decided to side with the Aragami and let them destroy humanity in guilt/retribution over what happened to Aisha? oO Or is he working with the shrink to kill off Lindow for figuring out something evil in the Aegis plan? If he does want Aegis to succeed, seems like killing Lindow with their hypnotized assassin could wait until after they collected the cores they need.
Zaydgh123

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:48 am Reply with quote
Johannes isn't evil, but his way of doing things is pretty brutal.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:24 am Reply with quote
To be honest I found this episode kinda boring, nothing extraordinary wrong with it, I just didn't really care for most of what was happening.

Lenka new weapon just look really ridiculous and isn't particularly interesting, it's just a supersize version of the normal one.

The fight with Pita was also kinda meh. The way the trees were able to effortlessly stop everyone, especially Lenka with his new weapon, just felt too much like a cheap trick to make sure Lindow would get killed by Pita.

And the revelation about the human siding with aragami, again it just felt kinda boring and predictable.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:22 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
To be honest I found this episode kinda boring, nothing extraordinary wrong with it, I just didn't really care for most of what was happening.

Lenka new weapon just look really ridiculous and isn't particularly interesting, it's just a supersize version of the normal one.

The fight with Pita was also kinda meh. The way the trees were able to effortlessly stop everyone, especially Lenka with his new weapon, just felt too much like a cheap trick to make sure Lindow would get killed by Pita.

And the revelation about the human siding with aragami, again it just felt kinda boring and predictable.

Perhaps the the plot seemed predictable to you but boring? Did you not see the action scenes?! I'd like to see what kind of action scene would excite you. Really trying not to fan boy out and describe the scenes in question. Also, the new weapon is a bit different, what with the four laser cannons on the first stage(?) and the other lasers on the sides in the second stage.

Also That's not a God Arc. This is a God Arc
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:45 pm Reply with quote
If you mash all the flashbacks together, God Eater could be a pretty nice short movie. Honestly, the only ones that have grabbed any of my interest as charecters are Johannes, Paylor and Aisha, Lenka is close enough but, as the review states, he is literally a walking Deus (heh) Ex-Machina, and his growth feels a bit too convenient.

I really like the flasbacks because one, for a little while, no one is dressed like they're in a prom or using the most uncool and unpractical weapon EVER. Two, all intereactions between characters feel particularly real, and Johannes adds an interesting plotline: he was not a mad scientist, he and his team were honest to good scientist working for the better, the project went terribad, and when he is given the chance to probably fix it, he realizes it's not worth it after Aisha dying and making his son suffer. He was given the chance of a hero, but gave up where Lenka stood up (probably this parallel is what I like the most of Lenka).
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Nice penultimate episode, after the cliff hanger last week I was wondering if Lenka was gonna make it in time which he does manage quite coolly as well with Licca having finished making upgrades to his God Arc and the scene with him jumping down was pretty neat as well. As for the new God Arc I do admit it is quite big but to be honest I don't have a problem with that they all are quite massive anyway, what I would have like though is Lenka fighting with more of a melee style at close range with some long ranged attacks here and there, I just think it would've been better to see him using various techniques and showing off his new 'Deus Ex Machina' God Arc but the shots he firing were still alright though.

I also think it would have been better to have Alisa take on Deus Pita as well as it would have been good to see her overcome her past and face it instead of Lindow (who seems to have been taken out by it but since it didn't show anything...) and the scene with them all saying a fess words to him before they left him to fight Pita definitely makes it feel like a final sending off.

The bit in the article about Deus Pita being involved in the plans with Johannes is interesting and seems plausible to me with Deus Pita showing significant intelligence when fighting Lindow and even out smarting him when he tryst to pull of a move when posting looking like he's on the edge of defeat and it's smirks even time it does out smart him. The aragami reaching the town are the main problem for the rest of the team and I'm wondering how they're going to be able to clear the all out while Deus Pita is there and if Lindow is still on the edge of life and will be able to do something even though Deus Pita has got his God Arc.
Merexz Syazx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:22 pm Reply with quote
this is a good show.Personally i really like the animation by ufotable and the PLOT is definitely great same as Fate/Zero.

[/spoiler]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:23 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

Lindow's dead when I see a body. Smile

They kinda lost me when he jumped down from the chopper to the horizontally rocketing God Arc Ark and it didn't take his head off when he landed neatly on his feet. That wouldn't even work on a moving train, unless the chopper was outpacing the train when he jumped. But I expected no more from the series that gave us the fighting (and smoking) on top of the plane sequence with Alisa's arrival. Smile Physics need not apply here.

They kinda lost me again when Alisa suddenly got over all her programming and PTSD in one fell swoop from Lenka just shouting at her. When she also suddenly seemed to no longer have any issues (neither fear nor revenge) with Deus Pizza, I realized characterization also need not apply here.

The fact that all the frantic fighting stopped stone dead to give Alisa's transformation time to happen on a nice, quiet stage signaled that any semblance of reality could just move along to somewhere it might be more appreciated.

Btw, if attacking the tree shoots made them send up more defensive shoots, why did that stop happening after Alisa came to her senses? Everyone was pinned to various things by the shoots, Alisa sez, "I'm ok now," and everyone just hacks through the shoots that are pinning them with no problem and drop to the ground to regroup.
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Although I don't actually know anything about the video game for me it totally felt like the fight against Deus Pita was played out as one: 1) You take out all the 'minor' enemies and the boss appears 2) You go up against the boss and are surprisingly do pretty decent 3) You basic have it and then it once on low HP it comes out with some move/form it didn't have before and wipes you out
In all seriousness though the fight against Deus Pita was pretty cool and All but it was a shame that Alisa had so little to do in it (or at least as much as everyone except Lenka) and I would've liked to see she taking it as together with or instead of Lenka in the final stages of the battle but I guess they needed a good reason to for Lenka's Aragami Cell Infection growth?
So I guess Johannes is not a complete bad guy and is only trying to give humanity the best chances of survival but the way he goes about it isn't good at all, probably no one's going to suspect till the end (here's me assuming/hoping we get a sequel) as he's all ready managed to shift all the blame onto the Doctor that every think has done a runner but has really been gotten rid off by him.
And I'm happy/confused that I still alive Lindow as I definitely wouldn't have thought Deus Pita would've left him in one piece but I guess he must be since that the show leads us to think that with the smoke raising up and what I think is his God Arc reactivating at the end of the episode, also I can't think of who that person who is bringing him food is except for Aisha, Soma's mum, because he was in the area at that time and since Lindow is still alive...why not? Anime smile + sweatdrop
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Is Lindow dead? Or is somebody giving him canned food in the mountains? Who is the mysterious person Soma is trying to contact? What is the Ark Project, and who's going on that spaceship? What happens after Aegis is built? I suspect that I could learn at least a few of these answers by playing the God Eater video games.

Yeah, pretty much. I mean the game was made first after all, so it's the canon to follow. Just don't obsess over getting a SSS+ rank on every mission, Lauren, or it's going to take you forever to get through the story (for some of them, you have to go it solo and finish the battles fast if you want the coveted highest rank, something that requires an enormous time investment and plenty of material hunting for upgrading your God Arc to quick kill levels). If you have no care for being a rank fiend, then just let your AI allies help you as best they can and slice your way through the targets you're assigned. As expected, Lindow, Soma and Alisa are the best you can take on most missions, but Sakuya and Kouta are excellent long range/medic backup as the anime has demonstrated.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Will forever wish that this series had Johaness and Paylor as main characters. No kidding there, their discussion and everything they do is the most interesting character and plot-wise. The scientists are definetely cooler than the warriors.

I do recognize that that last battle looked bloody awesome, but with an anime like God Eater I always find them hard to enjoy, visual fest aside.
RaylenCypher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Repost of mine from a different forum:

Welp, God Eater gave me the usual cliffhanger, but it's a very welcoming cliffhanger, haha. (Such a tease with the blatant references to "Burst Arc")

I spotted a lot of thematic symbolism in there. Not surprising, since the director also did KnK's 5th Movie.

So key-phrases/words to see it: Evolution/Natural Selection/Survival of the Fittest portrayed by Lenka's God Arc. Fall of Man/Sin portrayed by Dyaus Pita going into Wrath Mode. Ascension portrayed by Lenka's gold hair and eyes; gold symbolizes perfection and the word God (kami) shares the same romanji for Hair (kami). God rests on the 7th day portrayed by Lenka passing out at dawn while the OST "Sunday" by Ghost Oracle Drive plays in the background. "Their Eyes Were Watching God" by 1st Unit staring at Lenka before he passes out and when he becomes leader (not really related but I read the book in World Lit Culture and thought it cool to add). Annnnnd... Lenka keeping his eyes gold is symbolism for Providence. Oh, and the synchronous attack by Kota and Sakuya that formed a triangle above Pita can be seen as reference to the Holy Trinity.

Season 2 is not likely atm, since ufotable is doing Tales of Zesteria the X this summer and Heaven's Feel later. Will it ever happen? Maybe, depending on how much profit God Eater Resurrection made and BD sales. Oh well, I'm not getting my hopes up but the possibility is always there.

Thanks for reviewing the show, Lauren. If S2 ever comes by, I'll be happy to read your stuff again on ANN. And, God Eater Resurrection and God Eater 2 Rage Burst games are coming to the West this Summer IIRC, if you're hungry for more God Eater.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12