• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Bungo Stray Dogs

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merida

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:09 am Reply with quote
Well, i for one enjoyed the backtory episodes a lot more than these past two.

I don't really care about Atsushi's harem, so the rom-com elements were more annoying than funny...and i gotta agree with Rebecca that the part with Atsushi's "father" could have been handled better. Not so much the fact that Atsushi might have felt conflicting emotions, but more the underlying message of "what doesn't kill you will make you stronger" which seemed to justify the abuse.

Anyway, i hope Dostoyevsky will make his move soon.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Atsushi's half doesn't work as well as it did in the manga. For one, in the manga the Headmaster's death was a hit and run, making an investigation necessary. In the anime it was a simple car accident so why would the agency be called in in the first place?

I was hoping doing Kyouka's story first meant she'd have a part in Atsushi's but no such luck.
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 3:12 pm Reply with quote
The way I saw it, the reason the Headmaster did what he did was not so much 'what doesn't kill you makes you stronger', but was likely due to the fact that Atsushi was transforming into a big killer tiger.

So the chaining, nailing and whipping, might have been how Atsushi interpreted what was occurring to him, but I'm suspecting that those are memories of Atsushi as a tiger and not as a human boy. Maybe even the tiger representing Atsushi's hatred or ferocity, and the director told Atsushi to aim those emotions towards him as the target rather than at others.

I haven't read the manga, but I'm guessing that this will be explored as a long running theme over the course of several episodes, maybe even climaxing towards the end of the season, rather than just as a specific episodic thing. This would be better in my opinion. It's a big thing, and it ought to be there as a constant for Atsushi to deal with until the very end. Maybe even tying into the whole main antagonist and the whole 'crime & punishment' thing.

The episode just happened to introduce it now as a revelation tying into the Kyoka's story and her revelation, which thematically ties them together.

Dazai likely framed the director's actions as he did, because Dazai isn't one to talk when it comes to cruelty. Or likely Dazai knows more about Atsushi's background and the director than he's letting on.

And I think it's obvious that Ranpo as a character purposely let Atsushi take it on precisely because he figured it out and knew the details were intimately tied to Atsushi, and felt this was somethinig he should personally handle rather than somebody else, but he's no touchy/feely guy so he makes it all seem like no big deal and that he was just lazy so as not to let on about the real reason why.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The Great Gatsby Takahiro Sakurai fans, this one's for you.

FTFY, or maybe just me. Smile He had quite the tour de force this episode, ranging from dank depression and goofball excitement right on through sexy beast and sinister threat, with a little Phoenix Wright thrown in for good measure. Sounds like he had fun.

And as I've said, I've not read nor know much about Gatsby, so once again the reviews are invaluable to me. Thanks!
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 5:37 am Reply with quote
I didn't think much of Fitzgerald before this episode, probably because he was a baddie. But I think I like that goofball now. A couple moments in the episode like Fitzgerald waltzing into someone else's apartment had me laughing out loud.
Bluuumeee

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:57 am Reply with quote
@Rebecca I have a feeling the the author of the manga based his version of Alcott off Beth March, not Jo.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Bluuumeee wrote:
@Rebecca I have a feeling the the author of the manga based his version of Alcott off Beth March, not Jo.

I thought about that, and I can also see Beth being the more appealing March sister to a Japanese audience - in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if both Beth and Meg were preferred to Jo and Amy. She still feels too dependent upon Fitzgerald to me, unless the implication is that he's her god, like Beth devoted herself to the Christian God.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Episode 33

Well, that was an awesome episode.

I'm kinda left wondering: Why is Dazai going through surgery? Can't the healer lady just fix him up instantly? Am I forgetting something?
Vs7

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:52 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Episode 33

Well, that was an awesome episode.

I'm kinda left wondering: Why is Dazai going through surgery? Can't the healer lady just fix him up instantly? Am I forgetting something?

No Longer Human nullifies any ability that comes in contact with Dazai, benign purposes or not
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:47 am Reply with quote
Oh, I thought Dazai's ability is something he activates himself, at least that's what it always looked like to me whenever he used it.
Beltane

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:38 am Reply with quote
About Kunikida: There's the OVA "Walking Alone", or episode 25 according to the official anime site. It covers the Kunikida-centric chapter in volume 10 of the manga. (In case anyone is wondering about who's the guy that got kidnapped and tied to a chair by Fyodor.)
Rika Hue

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:16 am Reply with quote
Beltane wrote:
About Kunikida: There's the OVA "Walking Alone", or episode 25 according to the official anime site. It covers the Kunikida-centric chapter in volume 10 of the manga. (In case anyone is wondering about who's the guy that got kidnapped and tied to a chair by Fyodor.)

^^^ This.

No mention about the use of sound and the cello that played majestically over Kunikida's traumatic experience? In terms of editing I think that was incredibly smooth and Dost-like. His influences are everywhere at anytime. He is a terrifying foe.

Was this going to be 12 or 13 episodes? I reeeeaalllyyyy hope for 13 at this point.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:47 am Reply with quote
Rika Hue wrote:

No mention about the use of sound and the cello that played majestically over Kunikida's traumatic experience? In terms of editing I think that was incredibly smooth and Dost-like. His influences are everywhere at anytime. He is a terrifying foe.

Was this going to be 12 or 13 episodes? I reeeeaalllyyyy hope for 13 at this point.

Damnit, I knew I forgot something I really wanted to say! That sound design was amazing, and I actually shuddered when I saw a copy of Crime and Punishment at the library yesterday after watching this episode. (I was also impressed that Tanizaki actually put on that hoodie he's had around his waist for three seasons now.)

Personally I'm hoping for a two-cour run - one doesn't seem like enough to even get close to any sort of resolution.
Rika Hue

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Regarding Akutagawa, there's a bit of a disagreement in the fandom. Who exactly does Akutagawa refer to when he says 'he met a specific man and joined a specific organisation and the hope for death in his eyes vanished'.
Many think that this refers to Dazai who met Oda and then joined the Armed Detective Agency. But, I think differently. If you look at Kyouka, her eyes were colored red, a deliberate color design decision which shows her lifelessness. When Akutagawa met Dazai (yes, that in the forest was their meeting, if you want to know more read the bonus story 'A heartless dog' in volume 6!), Akutagawa's eyes were colored the same red as Kyouka's, which shows the same lifelessness.
That is why I think that Akutagawa refers to himself and his own desire for death that vanished after he met Dazai. I may be only one of the few who thinks this though.

Princess_Irene wrote:
Personally I'm hoping for a two-cour run - one doesn't seem like enough to even get close to any sort of resolution.

Hm, I think this will be only one cour. And it will hopefully tie up cannibalism. But as for Dost himself, spoiler[this is only the first stage in his three-part plan. His plan is still ongoing in the manga, and things get much, much worse for our hereos.]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:34 pm Reply with quote
So Atsushi can move so fast that guards and motion sensors don't notice him. Yet he can't catch up to the virus guy. Okay :/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12