• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Penguindrum, Ninja Scroll Film, Letter Bee

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:41 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Its works in the Japanese market, so I'm sure the companies over there would very like to make the same pricing scheme over here. Even if your sales drop 90%, if you're selling it at 10 times the price, you'll break even. And I believe they'd be able to sell more than that.

If sales drop 90% and your raise your price 10 times to make a profit then you make your customer base extremely insular.

I am not saying it doesn't work in Japan but we aren't the same market. Those are the prices they always had over there.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Who says the current prices aren't working well? Sentai is licensing tons of shows (I think/hope they're smart enough to learn from past mistakes), Funimation and Discoteck show no signs of financial problems, Bandai was making money (just not enough money), and Media Blasters is still alive, albeit on life support. Why fix what isn't broken? Prices are working well for now, and they can raise prices if they suddenly stop working. We can deal with collector prices when the American anime apocalypse happens, but there's no reason to adopt those prices now.
ManaKnight

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Letter Bee has me excited. I love the manga and saw some of it. Definitely a day one buy for me.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:47 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Its pretty easy to connect your PC or laptop to your TV (I've had mine set up for years that way), so I watch everything on my TV anyway... so that kinda lessens the impact of watching it on a big TV.

That doesn't cut out the lags/drops/commercials/low-quality streams issues, though, and those are currently the much bigger issues on my end.

Quote:
Theres also the fact that there are other ways to get these shows that are just as good of quality as the BD (and often times better if the domestic release is DVD only) that will also cause many people less motivation to go out and buy these releases.

If you're referring to VOD services, those actually often aren't at the same quality level as a BR (at least not in my experience, anyway) and typically offer limited viewing windows. That's fine if you only ever intend to watch a title once, but the titles that I have that I've only watched once and never looked at again are in the minority.

As for the arguments about pricing, I find it very interesting how utterly contrary these arguments are running compared to what they were just 3-4 years ago. Arguments that anime would be fine - or would sell fine - if higher-priced would have not only been unthinkable then but would have made the posters laughingstocks. Ultimately, I guess, it all depends on how the sales-to-cost graphs chart out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Most Otaku show fans/importers are /a/-types who despise the R1 industry, though, so...

You do know I'm one of the oldest fag's from /a/ right and I still buy releases here and used import anime that is not available here such as KNJ. I Actually love the R-1 industry and hope it stays alive, the same goes for the R-4 region for getting higurashi kai and card captor sakura . The only complaint I have recently is localization changes in titles from funimation and their dub differences in stein's;gate but that's just me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:20 pm Reply with quote
If anime prices go premium in N. America, not only will there be a drop in buyers, but the print runs will also be quite limited. And there's one big reason for that: retailers. It's one thing for retailers to take a chance on a unit costing them manufacturer's price in the tens of dollars; it's another to take a chance on anime costing in the hundreds of dollars. So that pretty much rules out brick-and-mortar stores, where it's already dire now. But even online stores, particularly the niche anime ones but even the large warehouse Amazon ones, would further limit their exposure, unless they can guaranteed returns on credit to the publisher. Most likely limited to pre-orders plus a few extra - if you don't buy it then, you're SOL, and forget about re-prints. When nowadays an anime release would be lucky to sell in the thousands, a premium release would be lucky to sell in the hundreds, and smaller a print run is a more costly print run, further adding to the expense. So that's where we could be.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:28 pm Reply with quote
SereneChaos wrote:
Who says the current prices aren't working well? Sentai is licensing tons of shows (I think/hope they're smart enough to learn from past mistakes),

sentai films exists because 'the previous' company it was under went bankrupt from licensing 'tons' of shows. Not only that, afterwards they filed a lawsuit claiming japanese companies 'asked too much.' They also are using semantics in the law to not pay many of their previous debts. this may be the american way, but it is not the honest way. I would not use sentai films to judge the current state of the english speaking anime economy. in fact, with bandai's recent decision to pull out of the market it seems obvious to me that growth is stagnant or increasing minutely.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I was in the room when these were being announced at Animaine. David Williams is awesome for picking our little convention to announce these.

I'll point out that two of the other guests there were Greg Ayres and Terri Doty. If Greg isn't voicing Shouma I'll be shocked!

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:48 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
SereneChaos wrote:
Who says the current prices aren't working well? Sentai is licensing tons of shows (I think/hope they're smart enough to learn from past mistakes),

sentai films exists because 'the previous' company it was under went bankrupt from licensing 'tons' of shows. Not only that, afterwards they filed a lawsuit claiming japanese companies 'asked too much.' They also are using semantics in the law to not pay many of their previous debts. this may be the american way, but it is not the honest way. I would not use sentai films to judge the current state of the english speaking anime economy. in fact, with bandai's recent decision to pull out of the market it seems obvious to me that growth is stagnant or increasing minutely.

ADV primarily went under from growing too aggressively and expanding their company too far. People seem to forget that they had a music division, an original production division, a toy division, a manga division, a staffed warehouse, a dubbing studio, a post production studio, a 24 hour anime channel that was losing money as well as it's VOD counterpart, and god only knows what else. The capital that those projects burned up likely cost them more money than the "tons" of shows they licensed.

As for legal specifics, none of us can really make claims one way or the other as we don't know any specifics. One could argue that Funi's attempts to take over a struggling competitor by acquiring their debt could be viewed as "less than honest" as well. It's all semantics and legal jargon, and it all happens everyday all over the country. It's not the "American way", it's the "capitalist way".
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Most Otaku show fans/importers are /a/-types who despise the R1 industry, though, so...

The only problem I have is waiting for the show to come to our shores. Rather swoop it up a year before. Money is no problem. I don't want to buy everything out there. Just one or two TV shows a year is fine.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 12 of 12