• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime in America: The Best (And Most Notable) of 2012

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I don't have opinions on most of the picks, but I want to mention my personal favorite for Action Scene of the Year, because it's one that will stick with me for a very long time: the start of episode 11 of Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Between spoiler[Homura's overkill and the witch's rendering] it was like watching Michael Bay fight Terry Gilliam. And I say this as someone who doesn't normally respond primarily to visuals.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:30 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
DangerMouse wrote:
Hopefully they can do the same for Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail too.

It has been confirmed at Anime Weekend Atlanta that they will bring Ocean back for it.

It's good to know Ocean's still getting anime work. Especially with one of their best dub casts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

4 Kokoro Connect. {BTW, Best Japanese performance of the year for Miyuki Sawashiro as Inaba. Too awesome for words; drama, comedy, playing other characters while maintaining a irrestible cool}.

I absolutely love her voice. It's got that husky sort of sound to it that's just irresistible to me. It's a crying shame that I wasn't able to attend Anime Expo 2011 so I could see her in person.
vangelionite88

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:39 pm Reply with quote
sao was good, but i think it just lost its potency after the second episode, the overall tension just sort of evaporated, like there wasant a huge need to get out of there anymore, and yes in the anime the players were just beginning to settle, but an all out race for survival would have worked better for that series, and also the last episode of the first season was a huge let down, i was expecting a fight of epic proportions, being an mmo gamer myself I have seen some pretty crazy stuff, you know actual raid take downs,in a real raid, not a single player or a couple should be able to take out a dungeon boss otherwise its not a raid. but the final fight just didint cut it for me, hell they never even reached the 99th level, i guess sao just didint quite deliver everything it promised at first, it was still cool but hardly a classic by any measure.

and on madoca.... well i think it is visually gorgeous and while its not quite as deep or intelligent as i thought it was going to be it was still one of the more interesting series i have come across in a good while, as far as contemporary anime series. but it is a deconstruction of the genre it does that very well, and again amazing visual style, love the art, background designs, use of color, fight sequences and animation all top notch. Im patiently awaiting the final films, though i cant say that i will have much of an interest for sao by comparison.
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm probably in the vast minority but I actually preferred Accel World to Sword Art Online. While both went downhill I feel AW stayed consistent enough with its storyline and there was at least some character development to be had in the second half whereas episode 14 of SAO was just so outrageously stupid and plot hole ridden I haven't seen the show since. I do plan to finish the show eventually but I have a hard time seeing what made it so superior to AW, and it's definently convinced me to never buy into LN hype ever again. Guess it's just a matter of people not liking wimpy protagonists(though I think having a virtually flawless protagonist is equally bad but eh). Though I admit I've never had a problem with those kind of characters so it may just be me.

Doesn't make too much of a difference in the end though. I preffered Kids on the Slope over both anyway and it's undeniably the simulcast of the year in my book. I really hope Sentai does a good job dubbing it (i.e. no Foster).
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
I'm probably in the vast minority but I actually preferred Accel World to Sword Art Online.

No, I totally agree. Accel World had plenty of issues but it was head-and-shoulders above Sword Art Online in terms of writing quality, character development and strength of plot.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:01 pm Reply with quote
meruru wrote:
Also thinking of watching Bodacious Space Pirates now. Anime hyper

It's definitely a show worth checking out Smile
SuperSaiyen312

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:04 pm Reply with quote
kotelocl wrote:
soa won lel xD

animeznewnettowaruku da bestu sugoii ^__^!!

LOL what was that? This is an English site.
(I feel offended by your post for some reason... )

Last edited by SuperSaiyen312 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:06 pm; edited 4 times in total
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:04 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
DangerMouse wrote:
Hopefully they can do the same for Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail too.

It has been confirmed at Anime Weekend Atlanta that they will bring Ocean back for it.

Oooh, EXCELLENT! Great news, thanks!
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:00 am Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
I'm probably in the vast minority but I actually preferred Accel World to Sword Art Online.

From what I can tell, most people who have been looking at the shows in a critical way (not just fanboyism) actually agree with you that Accel World is superior to Sword Art Online. The downsides in AW were the lackluster robot design and the fact that the whole threat of losing Brain Burst didn't seem all that consequential in the grand scheme of things... (I think they could have made it consequential, but the writing was just a little lazy there.) However, in pretty much every other way AW was light years ahead of SAO. In particular, the protagonists in AW are like ten times better than those in SAO, in terms of development, connection with the audience, and other things such as the fact that they were just written in a much smarter way. The characters in AW felt a lot more like intelligent, thoughtful human beings, whereas those in SAO sometimes felt more like carbon copied cut outs of certain anime archetypes.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:02 am Reply with quote
Kuroyukihime is one of the year's greatest female characters. She's very well written.

The rest of the show struggles to live up to the example she sets, and its absolutely intolerable when she's not around, but it demonstrates that, despite what I've said elsewhere, Kawahara Reki isn't actually a complete hack.
zatheus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:30 am Reply with quote
Action Scene of the Year: Kirito vs. Gleaming Eyes happened in episode 9 not 8.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:09 am Reply with quote
Both Tari Tari and Chihayafuru not getting a single mention in this article makes me a bit sad, though it probably makes sense since Bamboo wasn't on the panel and I think she's the one who enjoyed those two series the most out of everyone at ANN.

That being said, Lynn and Jenny from Bodacious Space Pirates making the cut totally made my day. It was such a sweet, sweet moment, I'm glad to see it get some well-deserved recognition.
And I will add that I'm 100% behind Theron's pick for opener of the year. Fate from Kokia is hauntingly good, and such a perfect fit for Broken Blade.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:33 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Divineking wrote:

No, I totally agree. Accel World had plenty of issues but it was head-and-shoulders above Sword Art Online in terms of writing quality, character development and strength of plot.

I preferred Accel World from the start when they were both airing, and continued to do so to this point. More interested in the characters in that one, and also felt the supporting characters got a lot more focus than they did in SAO.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:59 am Reply with quote
madokachan wrote:
Do only series that finished up in 2012 make the list? I have been watching shin sekai yori and have found it to be the one anime of two this past year that I have looked forward to the next episode coming out. The story isn't an easy one to predict and each episode you are surprised with clues to why the children are and have to be treated cautiously in a society of psychics.
Neither Theron nor Carl cared for it enough.
SuperSaiyen312 wrote:
kotelocl wrote:
soa won lel xD

animeznewnettowaruku da bestu sugoii ^__^!!

LOL what was that? This is an English site.
(I feel offended by your post for some reason... )
Only one word of that wasn't in English(and it's as misspelled as the rest).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 15