• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Silver Spoon (TV) (both Seasons).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:45 am Reply with quote
I grew partly in a farm, too, and unless farmers were sending animals to be slaughtered for market, but wanted to eat it themselves, folks were killing their animals themselves. As the student who has killed chicken in this anime. But even if they had a rule that larger animals should not be killed, main lad had to go to slaughter house practice to kill the pig himself.

The brave and bold, brutally honest conversation with the viewer could turn this project into a masterpiece, but, alas, it has played patty-cakes with viewers in crucial moments of the story where they had to see reality of the farming and choices that farmers have to make. (And, yes, of course, honesty on food cooking methods would also help, too -- but, alas again, none of that.)

The video you cited (thanks, fun to watch) refers to chicken eggs are "good, healthy food" which is obviously outdated. The reason is that they contain a lot of low-density cholesterol, which has proven to stick to your arteries. Ideal among eggs are quail eggs: you can it is as much as you want even if you have issues with bad cholesterol. To be fair, low-density cholesterol in childhood is not a threat at all, but it forms horrible habit for the future, when it will be a problem in certain age.

Toast is also listed as good, but it gets done by "cancerizing" bread into having toxic crust.

Bacon, shown there, is not necessary bad, because there are two main methods to do it: one is bad -- smoking, and the other is good -- boiling. We do no know which type was meant in the film.

Juice is definitely much better than soda, but it still immediately spikes sugar levels in your blood -- it leads to diabetes, chopped off legs and early death. The best way to consume "juice" is to eat it with the pulp of the fruit -- i.e. eat the fruit itself. Scientists proved that in this case sugar levels raise much slower, and the pulp is actually healthiest part of it that you need to eat.

Candy has not a slightest usefulness to anyone, unlike berries -- which can be sweet, but yet actually benefit the organism.

Cookies are only good if they have roughly milled outer parts of grain in it. It is not clear which cookies the child in the film eats, but, most probably, not a healthy version.

Parents should never give their children chicken eggs, toasts, smoked bacons, juices (let alone sodas), candies and soft-flour cookies -- and yet parents do all that in this film; 1951 shows itself.

As a final irony, the voice over actor that tells the story about being healthy in the film is obviously a smoker -- smoking attacks voice chords that leads them to inflammate, mutate/distorted form, and have specific undertones to the voice's timbre added. Of course, in those times tobacco companies have brainwashed people into thinking that smoking is good.

(By the way, who ever thought that high-waist pants for men was a good idea? It contradicts to body proportions of men, it makes them look less manly that they are.)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:17 am Reply with quote
I am finding it very hard to believe you are not trolling.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:15 pm Reply with quote
You might want to look up for definition of "trolling" before using the term. People who "troll" like to just quickly stir the pot and never care to layout detailed concrete arguments for any position.

It is also common practice that some people that are incapable of presenting counter arguments misuse words like "trolling" to provoke and derail discussion to off-topic -- like focusing on opponent -- to "win" argument by any means they can.

So, do you have nothing to say on the essence of the matter, concretely?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Well you just tried to say that most human diet is crap. You complain that the show was not "daring" enough to show kids in dairy science slaughter animals, and criticising other elements of their school life like they should have super healthy meals. But you points are pretty much unrealistic to a farming school in country of Japan, which unless you actually know, you have no right to say it is that way. You are pretty much ignoring any facts that go against your crusade to say this was too weak, and are saying that it should have been something it was not.

It is not the first time that you spout some crazy facts about a show being unrealistic when you are pretty much ignoring any in show or cultural facts that might explain why it would be so. That you are writing it so boldly by saying things about food being bad or how a Japanese Agricultural school should work, makes it hard to believe you are not trying to fool others instead of being quite ignorant.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:34 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth & DuskyPredator--
Carry on this discussion through PMs. This is not a request.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:21 am Reply with quote
Hachiken didn't have friends in middle school because he was wrapped up in academic pressure at a very academically competitive school. IIRC, his father really pushed him, and all he did was study, which left no time for a social life. He chose an agricultural highschool partly to be less pressured academically and improve his social life, partly to get some breather room away from his dad, and it worked. It all seemed realistic enough to me.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:15 pm Reply with quote
It is barely plausible, because even with great pressure the lad would still have some friends gained in the previous fifteen (or however old he is) years of his life. He was not caged, he attended school, he knew people, people knew him. He is shown to be profoundly responsive and kind-hearted guy, there is no way the pressure of previous years would have made him to be a total zombie and no one ever knew that he was cute character. As I explained above, he is not that type of character at all -- from very beginning, from very first episode.

To make the story more believable in this aspect of the settings, authors should have made him kind of frozen loner who never talks to anyone in the beginning, but then slowly starting to melt and open-up. But authors did not do it that way, and hence lad's being friendless is incoherent, and it is a visible seam in the story/setting.

{Please. Do not egg DuskyPredator on. Thank you. ~nobahn}
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:07 am Reply with quote
I think you're underestimating how much parents can get in the way of a child's social life. If his father was so strict as to limit Hachiken to only studying, that would put a major damper on any potential friendships. The point the author was trying to make was that Hachiken was only able to blossom socially at a boarding school, away from his overly strict father, and in an environment that put much more emphasis on friendship (everybody has to work together on farm chores) than on academic competition with peers. IIRC, Hachiken starts out a bit awkward and self conscious before he really warms up to it, too. He didn't have to be an introverted loner for his situation to be realistic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 12 of 12