• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Reign of the Seven Spellblades

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:28 pm Reply with quote
"So yeah, lemme just go alone to get some water...from somewhere deep in these very dangerous woods instead of from the river right here five feet away." That's not at all suspicious, right?
Aerodynamic41

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
"So yeah, lemme just go alone to get some water...from somewhere deep in these very dangerous woods instead of from the river right here five feet away." That's not at all suspicious, right?

That's something that the anime changed. In the LN, Oliver just communicated with Teresa telepathically while he remained in the same spot.

Yeah, the anime has some really weird adaptation choices.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:13 am Reply with quote
But even that change would've been fine, if they hadn't drawn them having lunch right next to a sparkling blue river! Shocked
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Aerodynamic41 wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

That's something that the anime changed. In the LN, Oliver just communicated with Teresa telepathically while he remained in the same spot.

Yeah, the anime has some really weird adaptation choices.

thats always been one of my pet peeves when manga/light novels like misfit, danmachi, spellblade & others that get anime adaptations!

they tend to leave mild plot point that would have given more clarity to anime only viewers regarding the main storyline!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
StarSword-C

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:08 pm Reply with quote
There's a couple other details that were cut from this episode:
  • In the novel version of the opening scene, Ophelia was visibly pregnant, just to drive home how ungodly fucked-up her family is even by mage standards.
  • Miligan made a pass at Oliver towards the end of their conversation, which honestly I'm okay with them removing.

Overall the novels have a pretty frank attitude to sexuality that the adaptations both seem hesitant to include: Bokuto Uno seems to have taken the attitude that his characters are teenagers (the main cast are 15) so obviously they're going to be interested in sex. Volume 4 even has a scene where Oliver and Chela hold a sex ed seminar for the others after Nanao and Pete start repeatedly getting approached for dates by other students. spoiler[Plus that scene in the restaurant bathroom, and Nanao getting jealous in volume 9.]

Gina Szanboti wrote:
But even that change would've been fine, if they hadn't drawn them having lunch right next to a sparkling blue river! Shocked

My headcanon is they assumed he was fibbing and needed to take a leak.

Last edited by StarSword-C on Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:22 pm Reply with quote
StarSword-C wrote:
My headcanon is they assumed he was fibbing and needed to take a leak.

Lol, funny you should say that. I had imagined them thinking he scarpered off into the woods because he wanted to prank them by peeing in the water bottle! So why not both! Laughing smh Embarassed
StarSword-C

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 14 was pretty solid. They obviously had to compress Ophelia's backstory a bit for time (totally okay with not having the scene where she's forced to watch her mother rape a man), but there is one change I find a little sus. In the scene where Ophelia meets Tim and Lesedi, they cut a line where Lesedi complains about Tim being careless with his poisons so now it looks like the main reason the Campus Watch is having trouble recruiting is due to Tim being clingy about his crush on Godfrey.

Just bugs me because one of the reasons I've enjoyed this series so much is because of how queer-friendly it generally is.
Aerodynamic41

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Others are simply mechanical, like Carste supposedly not being able to follow Oliver across the water despite Stacy and Lynette having no problem crossing it under their own power.

That's another weird change the anime made. In the LN, Teresa had her own boat and told Oliver to regroup with her on the other side of the swamp.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:10 am Reply with quote
How old are the succubus lady and school council guy supposed to be in the flashback? I feel like he could pass for 12 and she could pass for a height-challenged 22 in that portrayal.

As critical as I've generally been of the show, I thought the succubus magic not affecting reversi'd Pete sort of made sense. I hadn't really considered Christopher's point, though; I guess, to think more deeply about it than I'm necessarily sure is brain-safe, the spell's genetically/biologically sex-coded rather than gender/sexual orientation/sexual desire-coded. Wonder whether it affects intersex people, or people falling outside the two modal chromosomal sex types. Although it's a bit weird; if school council guy can condition himself with pain not to respond, then desire must play a role, too, and I wouldn't expect a guy who is a pure 6 on the Kinsey scale to respond to it then, either.

Another decent episode IMO, anyway; not sure I'd have given it a full 4/5 like Christopher did, but at least a 3.5. Definitely feels like this arc is living up to a little bit more of what the show promised early on, if not quite as much as in the isolated Oliverian revenge episode.

Last edited by NeverConvex on Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:19 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
How old are the succubus lady and school council guy supposed to be in the flashback? I feel like he could pass for 12 and she could pass for a height-challenged 22 in that portrayal.
She's part-succubus, no wonder puberty hit like a truck.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:27 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:

For comparison, here's how the novel drew her in this scene.
https://x.com/bunko_dengeki/status/1707781004490891659?s=20
StarSword-C

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:41 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
As critical as I've generally been of the show, I thought the succubus magic not affecting reversi'd Pete sort of made sense. I hadn't really considered Christopher's point, though; I guess, to think more deeply about it than I'm necessarily sure is brain-safe, the spell's genetically/biologically sex-coded rather than gender/sexual orientation/sexual desire-coded. Wonder whether it affects intersex people, or people falling outside the two modal chromosomal sex types. Although it's a bit weird; if school council guy can condition himself with pain not to respond, then desire must play a role, too, and I wouldn't expect a guy who is a pure 6 on the Kinsey scale to respond to it then, either.

I think it speaks to the series, again, actually having a better grasp of the differences between sex, gender, sexual orientation, and gender identity than the Author Who Shall Not Be Named. Succubus Perfume targets male reproductive biology, and even a gay man like Tim still has all the same equipment as a straight man. Testosterone is a hell of a drug.

Pete isn't affected when he's physically female because he lacks the necessary organs, and Carlos isn't affected spoiler[because they were magically neutered as a child and are physically incapable of being aroused by anything at all.] On the other hand, Oliver has the mental discipline to keep it at bay for short periods, but if you look closely, you can see him sweating in the "don't come to school tomorrow" scene in episode 8:

So being immersed in her Perfume for days on end after she's completely lost control of her succubus biology is inevitably wearing him down. Which gets followed up with a certain scene in volume 4 that I expect won't be included if the anime gets a second season. (Although I suppose they could surprise me and make the rest of the series TV-MA which they really should have done from the beginning.)

And GOATfrey of course just brute-force Pavlov'd himself into not being affected by it.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That's only in the present, though, as coming all this way sees Seven Spellblades, at last, make time to glance back and expound on past details. Early allusions are made, as they get deeper down into the layers, to how the prevalence of Ophelia's perfume is…adversely affecting Oliver. Never mind that he had resistance to it and had no trouble sitting right next to her back in the eighth episode.

Honestly its better to describe Oliver;s resistance as tolerance really. He can hold longer than most people but he will succumb in prolonged in contract. He was by Ophelia's side by little than a minute. So pretty much any male affect, but rates differ.

The flashback between with Ophelia, Godfrey and Carlos was really well done. The only caveat is that anime glosses over Ophelia's decent into self-destruction and putting a lot on viewer to infer how the growth of the Campus Watch was affecting it both positivity and her mental state negatively. Made wish this arc had at least one more episode.

Another good point about, it gets to core of who Godfrey is as character and kind of extremes he will go to for his ideals. He becomes one of my favorites from this point on.

Aerodynamic41 wrote:
Quote:
Others are simply mechanical, like Carste supposedly not being able to follow Oliver across the water despite Stacy and Lynette having no problem crossing it under their own power.

That's another weird change the anime made. In the LN, Teresa had her own boat and told Oliver to regroup with her on the other side of the swamp.

Teresa does nothing from this point in the arc so this change doesn't matter. If anything this one of ware cases the anime version makes more sense than the LN.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Poor Katie. Thinks Oliver will be completely immune to Ophelia's charms but he's just trying to hold it together against Nanao!

Did Miligan imply Chela had some interest in Oliver and is holding herself back for Nanao's sake?

Really curious what Stacy and Lynette are going to actually accomplish.

Oh, Rivermoore. I had totally forgotten about him since it's been like 10 episodes since he last showed up even though he's in the OP.

I really have to respect the lengths Godfrey went through and the pain he put his own balls under just to be able to properly interact with and befriend Ophelia, something she really needed. And to make her feel included and like she was part of something as they began their campus watch.

But of course all good things have to come to an end...the group got too big, people started accusing and bullying Ophelia for her closeness to Godfrey, and then she just couldn't hold herself back anymore and lost herself. Basically there's "Ophelia" and "Salvadori." I do wonder though if she had genuine feelings for Godfrey though (either way she seems to respect him a lot).
StarSword-C

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:15 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Poor Katie. Thinks Oliver will be completely immune to Ophelia's charms but he's just trying to hold it together against Nanao!

Being Katie is pain. Crying or Very sad Volume 4, which the anime won't get to this season, delves into their love triangle a lot more deeply, but overall Katie seems doomed to being the girl with the hopeless crush.

MFrontier wrote:
Did Miligan imply Chela had some interest in Oliver and is holding herself back for Nanao's sake?

Yes, she did. For the most part, Oliver and Chela mostly appear to see each other as best friends, but it's a little ambiguous whether she has actual romantic feelings for him or just likes to mess with him. We see a bit of that with the "victory kisses" scene in episode 5, plus that scene in volume 4.

MFrontier wrote:
Oh, Rivermoore. I had totally forgotten about him since it's been like 10 episodes since he last showed up even though he's in the OP.

He actually pretty much disappears from the plot after this point: he doesn't show up again until volume 7, but what a return that is.

MFrontier wrote:
I really have to respect the lengths Godfrey went through and the pain he put his own balls under just to be able to properly interact with and befriend Ophelia, something she really needed. And to make her feel included and like she was part of something as they began their campus watch.

But of course all good things have to come to an end...the group got too big, people started accusing and bullying Ophelia for her closeness to Godfrey, and then she just couldn't hold herself back anymore and lost herself. Basically there's "Ophelia" and "Salvadori." I do wonder though if she had genuine feelings for Godfrey though (either way she seems to respect him a lot).

I think he's honestly one of the overall best people in Spellblades. And the novels do imply fairly strongly that she was attracted to him before the shit went down.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 13