• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-03-16]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheVok

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:46 am Reply with quote
Steroid wrote:
The entire American anime industry should not, in my opinion, have an ounce of creativity in it. It should be only a conduit through which the Japanese creativity flows to the fan.

An interesting, if soul-killing, way to put it.

I half-agree, but more to the point, the English-language voice actors' creativity needs to synchronize more closely with that of the Japanese voice actors ... because what keeps getting lost in this discussion is that at least the Japanese VAs--good and bad alike--actually work with the behind-the-scenes creative forces (i.e. writers, directors, producers), have their stamp of approval and are therefore far more directly able to convey what is intended to be conveyed.

So, for example, the Japanese soundtrack for Fullmetal Alchemist clearly depicts the two Elric brothers as being fairly close in age, but the American dub loses that connection entirely.

Another example would be 'Princess Mononoke,' wherein a clearly male voice becomes a clearly female voice (i.e. Gillian Anderson's).
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:57 am Reply with quote
TheVok wrote:

Another example would be 'Princess Mononoke,' wherein a clearly male voice becomes a clearly female voice (i.e. Gillian Anderson's).

Unless this person is a cross-dresser, I'd say that the VA for Moro was a woman.

person#2045
Strephon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:12 am Reply with quote
TheVok wrote:
Don't get me wrong, there are tonnes of lame Japanese VA performances (although they at least have the creators' stamp of approval, for what that's worth). But there are also lots of good ones, so why omit them by dubbing over them? Subtitles cause a lot less interference with the original production and what its creators want to convey.

First of all, the majority of DVD releases don't "omit" the Japanese performance. The Japanese performance is generally there for those who want it.

Second, trying to cast sub vs. dub solely as a creative issue ignores the reality that there are people who are blind or have impaired vision, or some sort of learning disability that prevents them from reading subtitles quickly enough, or can't devote their entire attention to actively watching the screen, or are children, and therefore subtitles don't work for. Even if no one else wanted to hear them (and it's clear that's not the case), I would fight for the continued existence of dubs so the widest possible range of non-Japanese speakers can enjoy anime. (Just as I would push for the continued existence of subs for the benefit of the deaf or hearing-impaired, but most dub fans aren't trying to prevent sub fans from enjoying anime the way they want to...)

I know several people around my age (mid-30s) who've shown anime to their parents, and used the dub because it's hard to read subs if you wear bifocals. "Interference" isn't the issue here so much as ""the techonology not working for everybody."
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Strephon wrote:

I know several people around my age (mid-30s) who've shown anime to their parents, and used the dub because it's hard to read subs if you wear bifocals. "Interference" isn't the issue here so much as ""the techonology not working for everybody."

QFT!

I don't show the subtitle versions to my dad because the print is too small for him and the Close Captioning doesn't work for the subtitle versions. It works for the dubs but my dad has a special set of headphones that helps him hear better. So not only does the "techonology not work fro everybody" but the body doesn't either! Wink
DKL

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:39 pm Reply with quote
TheVok wrote:

I half-agree, but more to the point, the English-language voice actors' creativity needs to synchronize more closely with that of the Japanese voice actors ... because what keeps getting lost in this discussion is that at least the Japanese VAs--good and bad alike--actually work with the behind-the-scenes creative forces (i.e. writers, directors, producers), have their stamp of approval and are therefore far more directly able to convey what is intended to be conveyed.

Talking about this, I was REALLY fond of how Steamboy's dub was done...

They flew over the Japanese sound director (who is also in charge of the dubbing in Japan) to... you know, collaborate the production.

And yeah... turns out that Steamboy was one of the most ballin' dubs ever, I thought.

Okay, I'm just gonna completely deviate from the conversation and state that I think we need to have [more] Spanish dubs for the R1 releases...

Really enjoyed Fighting Spirit in Spanish, and was a little sad that Champion Road didn't come with a Spanish dub (since the original people that did the dub for TV really only got through the TV series)

Hooray for de-railing the line of thought.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:28 pm Reply with quote
indrik wrote:
I thought he was just fine. C+ work all the way.

Elizabeth Berkley, on the other hand, was catastrophic. But approximately as annoying as the original Japanese actress, when I finally got a copy of the subbed version. Either voice could have ruined the show for me. So maybe that's a fine example of a lack of creativity tunneling mediocrity directly to the American fan? I don't know. Oops, strawman, sorry about that.
Neither one showed up for the party, which is the reason I gave the OVA a B+.
TheVok

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:56 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
TheVok wrote:

Unless this person is a cross-dresser, I'd say that the VA for Moro was a woman.

person#2045

Mea culpa if I remembered it wrong ... I'll have to go back and double-check ....
TheVok

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Strephon wrote:

First of all, the majority of DVD releases don't "omit" the Japanese performance."

No, but that's not what I was talking about. I was discussing the differences between dubbing and subtitles. Obviously they're both available on DVD. It's other media--like television, which is a pretty huge one--where the Japanese performances are omitted entirely and the viewer is left only with the dub option.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:15 pm Reply with quote
JKNGP wrote:
Many seiyuu release posters, CD's and other items that have their face or voice on it simply as a means of making extra income to supplement their voice acting career.
I wish some English VAs would try this themselves. I'd love to have posters for several people and I would kill for a CD of nothing but Mary Elizabeth McGlynn singing. (Her voice is pure platinum.)

JKNGP wrote:
Working in Los Angeles allows me the opportunity to work some actors from film & TV who are also celebrities. Believe it or not, there are a contingent of film/tv actors who are huge anime fans and have even asked me if they could do a little voice acting in some of my anime shows simply for the love of it (often uncredited). I can't say who they are but I've had Academy award and Emmy award nominated and winning actors in the recording booth and I can say one thing for sure; not every great actor can be a great voice actor.
I've seen some great actors turn in terrible performances on screen but I can't imagine what some of them would be like in a recording booth. Shudder.

I wish you could tell us a few of those names. It would be nice to have a few famous names to throw out when trying to get someone to try out anime.

JKNGP wrote:
I can't speak for every anime voice actor out there, but the ones I have worked with care deeply about giving the best performance they can when they play a role in anime.
It absolutely shows too, at least in my opinion. There are some solid and moving performances out there that some sub fans dismiss without ever giving them a shot. I've been moved to tears by some English VAs work and it's downright offensive to insult English VAs by saying that they only care about the money.

As you've stated Mr. Klein, the money isn't that great and the work isn't always steady. They must care about acting otherwise they'd quit and get a better paying stable job.

New Generation Pictures has worked on two of my top five dubs, Koi Kaze and R.O.D. the TV, and I don't think it's possible to argue that the actors weren't putting a lot of emotion and effort forward in those series.

As several others have already, I want to thank you for taking the time to post here. We really appreciate having your opinion. Thank you Mr. Klein and I hope that your company continues to play a vital role in making great dubs!
TakinawaTonfa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Klien's post needs to archived and preserved for future generations.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Steroid wrote:

True enough, but at least they have the CDs and posters. And if they are saleable, it means they have a fandom large enough to be a market. Do American VAs have them? Maybe a few, but I don't follow them. Certainly none to the Hayashibura level. It goes back to the idea that the Japanese anime industry engenders that sort of fandom for its people, but the American anime industry doesn't.

I've always seen the Japanese market as something like ours int he '50's & '60's when TV stars regularly put out albums. However, we have so many entertainers trying to make it big, the whole thing became something of a waste of time. Yeah TV star A can sing (The Bonanza stars, David Soul. Pick one of the numerous stars that have released something in a different field. Oh, yeah, there are the fans who buy it up, but those who do it for a living usually do it so much better, right? Who would you rather hear-David Soul or David Bowie? Yeah, some singers can act, but how many have managed oscar-calibur work, or is it just get the person in there long enough to draw in the fans & then kill them off before they kill the movie.
We've moved past that. We don't need jack-of-all-trade entrertainers. We have so many as it is ("All the stars who never were are parking cars & pumping gas"-right?)
And our cartoon market has never really showcased the VA's/ I saw an article on the net(probably an ANN link) where a current Looney Tune VA commented it is amazing the attention anime VA's get in Japan & some of that same attitude bleeds over here & most domestic VA getting union scale for their work here would love to have fans who care to know who they are. People here care more about the story or the animation-who really talks about the VA's on American cartoons? Yeah, some of the big movies look to draw in an audience using the likes of Bruce Willis, but even Disney that might pop for a couple names, will fill out a cast with VA's who most of the Disney fans wouldn't know from Adam. I don't remember anyone fussing over the voices on the Flintstones or Groovy Ghoulies when I was a child.
Which is another point--much of our cartoons are aimed at children so there is often a large amount of exaggeration-like when we read to our children & make funny voices for the characters to make it more interesting for our child. Anime is often more of a real-life setting, so we don't want to hear Sponge Bob Squarepants launching a Gundam attack. Our domestic market is very different.
Steroid wrote:
That may be true, but it doesn't mean that film actors can't be good VAs. It is generally the case that the A-list stars don't do well as VAs (although there's a small sample size), but I've heard great cartoon voice work from character actors like Roddy McDowall, Ed Asner, James Earl Jones, people who can't necessarily open a movie, but who can act. Moreover, there are several career voice actors for American cartoons, but little crossover with the ones who do anime voices. Dubbing quality might increase if those talent pools were tapped.
But who gets tapped for the majority of American animation? A name-brand celebrity, not neccessarily a good actor. Many of our tv & movie actors are more known for their looks than their acting talent, aren't they? Roddy McDowell, James Earl Jones-these are exceptions even before a camera(& I thought Mr. McDowell passed away, so no one's hiring him anymore). The OC, Gilmore Girls, Smallville-you'd compare the abilities of most of the stars on these shows to James Earl Jones? Smallville scored some solid talent (I love Glover), but overall tv wants a fresh face for their new show hoping hoards of fans will tune in to drool making the show a hit. In the 30's & 40's studios groomed stars-they were investments. Now stars are a dime a dozen. Like Robbie Rist-Cousin Oliver on the Brady Bunch now doing anime voiceovers. Hollywood used him for 10 minutes, then moved on. He's managed to find other work. Good for him. Hollywood isn't usually interested in yesterday's stars. I've seen jaded critics say this or that actor has had his or her 15 minutes, now go wait tables.
Steroid wrote:

And therein lies the crux of my dislike of dubbing as it's currently done. The entire American anime industry should not, in my opinion, have an ounce of creativity in it. It should be only a conduit through which the Japanese creativity flows to the fan. And that's why I don't support the industry and why I lobby to have it alter its direction to one I would support.

The Japanese VA's don't research any more htan our VA's do as anyone who watches the cast interviews with them knows. These guys are hustling. Maybe they read thru, but they don't always know beans about what they're playing. Many are totally clueless as to where a show is headed. I heard of one where they told the killer who he was to give him that extra knowledge, but many comment about being shocked by this or that event in a script when they hit it in as the story moves toward the climax.

And other than the horror that is our kid tv market that feels the need to re-invent anime to make it acceptable to American parents, most anime dubs do stay pretty damned close to the original Japanes version. Maybe some minor cultural stuff gets altered & of course jokes if they want to be funny to a foreign market.

This in an English speaking culture with a different historcal background. I really have never heard the Japanese sweat so much over this issue as we do. Do they care about what Darth Vader is supposed to sound like? Are they worried about hearing the American Version of the Simpsons? Or is it just more of our own insanity?

[EDIT: Fixed some quote tags. ~Zalis
JKNGP
Company Representative

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Steroid wrote:
The entire American anime industry should not, in my opinion, have an ounce of creativity in it. It should be only a conduit through which the Japanese creativity flows to the fan.

So we should be robots? I honestly don't think you want there to be English dubs at all, not simply turn them to your liking. Because in my opinion your concept would be destroying them. Your words don't make much sense, because no actor would stand for being told they must be a conduit for the Japanese without putting even one ounce of their creative ability into the role. And if you tried to tell that to your favorite actors like James Earl Jones, they would also walk out of the studio. Not to mention that Mr. Jones is indeed quite expensive to hire his voice talents alone, and would cost more than what it takes to make a single episode of your favorite anime in Japan. And by the way, I have worked with Mr. Asner on anime, and he is an awesome voice talent. But what I'm saying is that not every great actor on film & TV is a great voice actor, there are certainly some, but not all of them. The voice actors we use aren't 2nd tier simply because they aren't on TV or Film either, we chose them because they have a unique ability to give acting performances with their voices alone. Add to that they have to match an existing Japanese performance along with their timing and lip-flap and one might hopefully see they do have great talent. A talent that some sub fans will simply dismiss as never good enough than the Japanese. Unfortunately it is an underappreciated talent in the acting industry as well, because Hollywood, like you, thinks that slapping big celebrity voices into a project will somehow make things sell better. There was a time when Disney didn't use big names in their animation, today it's all about selling the celebrity along with the film itself. A lot of good voice actors have lost jobs for a name's sake.

Going on to another point. I think I should elaborate. I don't ignore the Japanese creator's intents and wishes when producing/directing a dub. In fact I have had conversations with several the creators & producers of the anime I've worked on, including Satoshi Kon, Yoshitoshi Abe, Hideyuki Kurata, Akio Matsuda and Kouta Hirano. I and my staff have used every opportunity to understand their original intentions and motivations behind the characters and story. And even when I don't have such conversations, my staff and I do everything in my power to research the series before going into a project by going over the original material. So can you honestly say that you know better than I do what the dub should sound like? And just so you know, I have received complements from the original creators for our work. Some have even said they like our voices better than the original Japanese. Yes, I know Satoshi Kon is not a fan of dubbing his work, but at least I knew what his intentions were in making Paranoia Agent and I have yet to hear a bad word from him about that. Am I going to change your mind? Absolutely not. But my point is, I'm not going tailor ourselves to your wants, because that would destroy what we work so hard to do, which is make a dub in English that is enjoyable to those who are open enough to want to listen to it. So please continue to watch and enjoy anime in Japanese. I only hope that you continue to support the art form by legal and proper means.

And CCYueh is right, not every Japanese VA is doing their homework before going into a recording booth. Some do, most don't, considering their salaries don't afford them the time to do so. I've seen voice actors in Japan go into the booth without even reading the script before they do. They rely on the same vocal talents and acting abilities that the English VA's do.

Lastly; while I can't speak for all the actors, I think that many of them won't sell posters and CD's of themselves, because that is considered "selling out" in their mind, as much as many big name celebrities won't do TV commercials here in the US (not in Japan though). I'm sure there are some fans who would buy such things if they were sold here, but I don't think many voice actors are comfortable with that.

Regards,

Jonathan Klein
Vice President
New Generation Pictures, Inc.
Steroid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:56 pm Reply with quote
JKNGP wrote:
Quote:
Steroid wrote:

So we should be robots? I honestly don't think you want there to be English dubs at all, not simply turn them to your liking. Because in my opinion your concept would be destroying them. Your words don't make much sense, because no actor would stand for being told they must be a conduit for the Japanese without putting even one ounce of their creative ability into the role.

Re-creating what was once made isn't much like being original, but I think it's still attractive to actors. And I'm not against all dubs, I just think they should take a different tack. Let me give you an example of a great dub. The Japanese version of Iron Chef that used to air on Food Network did nearly everything right, because when something came up that didn't translate directly from Japanese into English, they took the time to explain it, instead of altering it. Or if you want an anime example of what I'm talking about, go watch episode 5 of Azumanga Daioh, where Osaka and Sakaki are sitting on the beach, chatting about how kanji for sea life are counterintuitive. The same conversation is had in the dub, and if you don't know what kanji are or how they work, you're out of luck. (In this case, they pretty much had to dub literally, since the kanji in question were on the screen. My guess is that had the show aired on TV, they would have edited them out and translated to some English pun.) What I'm going for is that dubs shouldn't change Japanese elements because the audience might not get it, and they shouldn't change controversial elements because the audience might be offended, and they shouldn't change the nature of the characters because the production values don't allow them to be true. Make a good-faith effort and let it stand.

Quote:
But what I'm saying is that not every great actor on film & TV is a great voice actor, there are certainly some, but not all of them. The voice actors we use aren't 2nd tier simply because they aren't on TV or Film either, we chose them because they have a unique ability to give acting performances with their voices alone. Add to that they have to match an existing Japanese performance along with their timing and lip-flap and one might hopefully see they do have great talent. A talent that some sub fans will simply dismiss as never good enough than the Japanese. Unfortunately it is an underappreciated talent in the acting industry as well, because Hollywood, like you, thinks that slapping big celebrity voices into a project will somehow make things sell better. There was a time when Disney didn't use big names in their animation, today it's all about selling the celebrity along with the film itself. A lot of good voice actors have lost jobs for a name's sake.

Agreed totally. I don't want any dubbing group to choose its talent based on name recognition. It should be chosen on who can best approach the character.

Quote:
Going on to another point. I think I should elaborate. I don't ignore the Japanese creator's intents and wishes when producing/directing a dub. In fact I have had conversations with several the creators & producers of the anime I've worked on, including Satoshi Kon, Yoshitoshi Abe, Hideyuki Kurata, Akio Matsuda and Kouta Hirano. I and my staff have used every opportunity to understand their original intentions and motivations behind the characters and story. And even when I don't have such conversations, my staff and I do everything in my power to research the series before going into a project by going over the original material. So can you honestly say that you know better than I do what the dub should sound like?

I know what it should sound like to me. If there was something I didn't like about a character or a plotline or a theme of an anime, I'd turn away and/or write something about how much better it would have been if they had done it another way. The dubbing of an anime does not escape that kind of scrutiny.

Quote:
Am I going to change your mind? Absolutely not. But my point is, I'm not going tailor ourselves to your wants, because that would destroy what we work so hard to do, which is make a dub in English that is enjoyable to those who are open enough to want to listen to it.

All this is but to say that the dub is tailored to the wants of others. There are some, like me, who are open only to dubs that are essentially spoken subtitles. There are others who are open only to a full and seamless adaptation into English. There are different assets and costs to either. If it seems more favorable to produce the latter kind, by all means do so, but do not expect that I shall cease calling for those of the former.

Quote:
So please continue to watch and enjoy anime in Japanese. I only hope that you continue to support the art form by legal and proper means.

As a great cartoon character of our own once said, "Anh, he don't know me very well, do he?" Anime smile
Mephistophilus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Steroid wrote:
JKNGP wrote:
Quote:
Steroid wrote:

So we should be robots? I honestly don't think you want there to be English dubs at all, not simply turn them to your liking. Because in my opinion your concept would be destroying them. Your words don't make much sense, because no actor would stand for being told they must be a conduit for the Japanese without putting even one ounce of their creative ability into the role.

Re-creating what was once made isn't much like being original, but I think it's still attractive to actors. And I'm not against all dubs, I just think they should take a different tack. Let me give you an example of a great dub. The Japanese version of Iron Chef that used to air on Food Network did nearly everything right, because when something came up that didn't translate directly from Japanese into English, they took the time to explain it, instead of altering it. Or if you want an anime example of what I'm talking about, go watch episode 5 of Azumanga Daioh, where Osaka and Sakaki are sitting on the beach, chatting about how kanji for sea life are counterintuitive. The same conversation is had in the dub, and if you don't know what kanji are or how they work, you're out of luck. (In this case, they pretty much had to dub literally, since the kanji in question were on the screen. My guess is that had the show aired on TV, they would have edited them out and translated to some English pun.) What I'm going for is that dubs shouldn't change Japanese elements because the audience might not get it, and they shouldn't change controversial elements because the audience might be offended, and they shouldn't change the nature of the characters because the production values don't allow them to be true. Make a good-faith effort and let it stand.

I think this is where good translation notes come in, as there really should be no reason why someone should be told "tough luck" when it comes to something they might not get at first. Inside jokes are fine when you're in a high school group of friends, but jokes that are incomprehensible without proper outside knowledge should not appear in a mass medium without explanation of some kind available.

This is not to say, of course, that certain things should be translated fully, as sometimes it's funnier left as is. Translation seems to be an extremely subjective art in an almost volatile way, and seems to require a great bit of craftsmanship.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:20 pm Reply with quote
The argument here still is just a head scratcher to me because, basically, you have a choice. Make your choice and move on, if others take a different route then so be it, this intolerance is just sad and no one's made an argument yet to really make me believe otherwise. It's like going to a restaurant and complaining that they offer a choice of potato or chopped veggies simply because you happen to like the veggies choice and generally dislike potatoes. Well that's great, but others like the potato and instead of insisting the option be removed or changed to your specific liking you should just accept that some people prefer a potato instead of broccoli and move on.

I don't want soulless direct translations, it's a translation and that's that, a translation is an attempt to bring something said in one language to another. Direct translations are bland, robotic, I want the actors to feel creative and to feel artistic because I want the acting to feel human and not some attempt to recreate exactly what existed before. Translation involves more than just translating words because the way things are said and the feeling behind them itself varies between languages and cultures. I don't want a wooden, empty soulless translation. I want a translation that feels natural and still stays true to the story itself, that's what's important to me. That's the issue, what is important to people varies from person to person, that is why you are given the options. If you don't like option 1, take option 2, instead of forcing option 1 to change to your liking and robbing those of option 1 their choice.

Oh, and JKNGP, don't bother arguing with steroid, he's more or less a troll who enters every thread and finds the opposing side of the argument and will argue relentlessly while never actually being open to the views of the opposition. Your energies are better used elsewhere.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 19