• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Spring The Pain

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jl07045

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Its not my fault people are wrong!

http://kidshealth.org/teen/your_mind/problems/tips_disagree.html
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Zac wrote:

Do you have some sort of medical condition where a flood of endorphins is released into your system every time you condescend to someone about how much better your understanding of some otaku apocrypha is than theirs?

Its not my fault people are wrong!

There there, I understand. You're right and I'm wrong. Smile
superdry

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
superdry wrote:
Out of curiosity, do dub actors not watch the original to get an idea of the character they're going to voice?

Even though you did not ask me that question, I can help answer anyway by saying that no, the actors usually do not.

Thank you for the super lengthy post and insight. Much appreciated. Very Happy

TitanXL wrote:
superdry wrote:
A good ADR director and translator can probably work around such oddities and do a decent job. I don't really watch dubs, so I wouldn't know and could compare, but I would assume that could be the case sometimes.

They'd probably have to do a lot of work in certain cases (there's really no way I can see Daisy from Sket Dance working in a dub, her speech gimmick would sound really awkward in English)

Other cases they tend to do no work at all, they leave onii-chan as "big bro" which sounds fairly awkward. Especially in scenes like that scene in Clannad.

Could it be possible, in the case of Sket Dance, if dubbed, that a speech gimmick that happens in Western languages could be used? That's something probably the ADR director or translator would have to figure out (whether it's done is another matter, though). I haven't watched Sket Dance, so I don't know how that character speaks.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

We're talking about a forum where they have giant general topics dedicated to Infinite Stratos and Idolmaster, and you're considered an outsider if you prefer anime that doesn't have cute girls. There may be a few people that like that stuff, but you're generally shunned if you bring it up.

For example, Kids on the Slope topics almost always devolve into people talking about it being "pretentious BL anime that only normal***s would like" and bashing others shows like it.. Yet I've seen nothing but love for shows like Nyarko-San and Acchi Kocchi (outside of the occasional troll who prefers some other moe show this season so they take it out on the more popular ones). Its kinda funny, one of the most common comebacks whenever someone is talking about liking the more mainstream/westernized anime is "Go back to ANN forums", since ANN has a reputation for liking that stuff a lot.

You seriously do not get how /a/ works, at all.

Ryan appears to be right from my small observations of /a/.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:14 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
Could it be possible, in the case of Sket Dance, if dubbed, that a speech gimmick that happens in Western languages could be used? That's something probably the ADR director or translator would have to figure out (whether it's done is another matter, though). I haven't watched Sket Dance, so I don't know how that character speaks.

When Daisy speaks, she usually says the letters in an acronym, then says the entire phrase that those letters represent. For example when she gets annoyed at Michiru's talking about how the ladies love him and he's so handsome.

Daisy:N.K.A.B.S...... Narcissist kagami ni atama butsukete shine. (Hit your head on your mirror and die, you narcissist)

And since the letters usually appear on screen as part of the gag, you can't just change the letters she says around, you'd have to think a phrase that gets the same meaning with the same letters. You might be able to do it for one or two of her phrases, but there's so many it'd be impossible to do them all that well. If they do change the letters, well, then you have other letters randomly popping up on the screen that will confuse people.
RyanSaotome wrote:
For example, Kids on the Slope topics almost always devolve into people talking about it being "pretentious BL anime that only normal***s would like" and bashing others shows like it.. Yet I've seen nothing but love for shows like Nyarko-San and Acchi Kocchi (outside of the occasional troll who prefers some other moe show this season so they take it out on the more popular ones). Its kinda funny, one of the most common comebacks whenever someone is talking about liking the more mainstream/westernized anime is "Go back to ANN forums", since ANN has a reputation for liking that stuff a lot.

Thing is ANN is actually the odd one out in this case, where a lot of the staff and community tends to dislike fanservice shows, or the more outlandish one, and prefers the rare western pandering thing like, say, Redline. If they do tell people to 'go back to ANN' then that might be why. Like the whole Upotte thing, lots of people talk about it on a lot of other forums, but it raised a huge stink here. So just the fact /a/ likes cute girl shows isn't really rare or unique to me that puts them as the most otaku people out there, since most other forums I go to also like those shows... even unlikely ones like the anime-sub forum to a main forum dedicated to an MMO.
superdry

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
superdry wrote:

When Daisy speaks, she usually says the letters in an acronym, then says the entire phrase that those letters represent. For example when she gets annoyed at Michiru's talking about how the ladies love him and he's so handsome.

Ah, okay, gotcha. Interesting speech gimmick. That is a ton of work to redo the onscreen acronyms for a Sket Dance dub.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:46 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:

I have not watched Sket Dance, so I honestly would not be sure if depending on the situation that a particular recognizable speech gimmick would be used. However for a dub, that sort of thing is not so much up to the voice director so much as it is up to the script writer. In fact, I could be wrong here but not all the time is it just one script writer. Depending on the anime being dubbed and adapted and how long it is like One Piece, Naruto or SGT. Frog for instance, there is a writing team who discusses with I believe the producer of a dub of a show which I think is one of the main caretakers of a sub production. And when I say "caretaker", I mean the producer decides what studio room a dub should have, I guess when to schedule a dub, help oversee what direction, who to hire as a line producer and maybe the script writers in which the line producer decides who to hire as the voice director(s) of a show and what direction a dub should be adapted. All of the details are not clear to me, but a lot of what goes behind what a producer and line producer does is explained by Justin Cook from Funimation in the ANNCast episode "OverCooked" (btw the way, if you feel like you need to skip the beginning part of that episode about Satoshi Kon's death, I don't blame you). Justin Cook throughout his time has worked as a voice actor, and then a line producer for a few shows and is now a producer at Funimation for nearly every Funimation dub to this day, so he does present a lot of insight on the subject of the different occupations in a dub production if you ever get a chance to listen to that ANNCast episode.
Myaow

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:35 am Reply with quote
I don't even know what happened to this thread but I just wanted to throw out there that the opening sequence to Fashion Lala is

SO

GOOD

It's not as awesome in terms of sheer 80sness as the OP to Future Police Urashiman or anything, but it comes close. It's kind of a bummer that Fancy Lala, which is the better show, got such an annoying OP while Fashion Lala's is so catchy and cool.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:28 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

We're talking about a forum where they have giant general topics dedicated to Infinite Stratos and Idolmaster, and you're considered an outsider if you prefer anime that doesn't have cute girls. There may be a few people that like that stuff, but you're generally shunned if you bring it up.

You seriously do not get how /a/ works, at all.

Fencedude is correct.

To the uninitiated outsider it would seem that /a/'s commentary of Kids on the Slope is childish and trivial, but it's actually reverse trolling taken to a "tropish" extreme.
That's /a/'s greatest form of love, turning a show into a completely off-base generalization.

/a/ (4chan) really is a COMPLETELY different environment than other online forums with a culture nearly as complex as 2ch.
It's not condescension to tell people who don't get that they don't get it (although it'd be helpful to explain _why_ they don't).
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:37 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

/a/ (4chan) really is a COMPLETELY different environment than other online forums with a culture nearly as complex as 2ch.
It's not condescension to tell people who don't get that they don't get it (although it'd be helpful to explain _why_ they don't).

You can't explain /a/, or most of 4chan. You just have to learn it.

I could probably explain /u/, but its rather more straightforward. Pardon the pun.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:33 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
samuelp wrote:

You can't explain /a/, or most of 4chan. You just have to learn it.

I could probably explain /u/, but its rather more straightforward. Pardon the pun.

Fine, we'll take as a given, but then why would you want to? The appeal of that whole swath of the internet is incomprehensible to me. It seems like taking up eating bees or sleeping on piles of broken glass, used heroin syringes and rusty nails for fun.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:44 am Reply with quote
I like /a/'s discussion because you can be raw and unfiltered. Sure, that absolutely leads to trolling and directly hateful and spiteful comments, but that colorfulness of the board only makes it more fun to be on. What bothers me more are people who are either massively uninformed or unwilling to help themselves in gathering information that any Google search would give. The fast-paced discussion with images makes it invaluable to me. I can gather opinions and reactions much faster there than anywhere else.
jl07045

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:53 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Fine, we'll take as a given, but then why would you want to? The appeal of that whole swath of the internet is incomprehensible to me. It seems like taking up eating bees or sleeping on piles of broken glass, used heroin syringes and rusty nails for fun.

It lets you blow off steam, gives the socially awkward and the neurotic a place to belong to, is a source of interesting info and sometimes funny jokes. It's nearly impossible to have serious discussion there, but that's not what that place is for. The important thing is to keep in perspective whatever you do or see there, otherwise your brain will rot.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:58 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

Fencedude is correct.

To the uninitiated outsider it would seem that /a/'s commentary of Kids on the Slope is childish and trivial, but it's actually reverse trolling taken to a "tropish" extreme.
That's /a/'s greatest form of love, turning a show into a completely off-base generalization.

No, it really isn't that complicated. At all. People like to surround it with this air of mystery, like nobody but people who spend their lives there understands it, but "physical and mental teenagers vomiting id all over eachother" is something that can be found in every corner of the internet. It just so happens that 4chan is one of the most concentrated places for that.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
samuelp wrote:

Fencedude is correct.

No, it really isn't that complicated. At all. People like to surround it with this air of mystery, like nobody but people who spend their lives there understands it, but "physical and mental teenagers vomiting id all over eachother" is something that can be found in every corner of the internet. It just so happens that 4chan is one of the most concentrated places for that.

No, there's something more there than in other places of the internet, and it's not simply higher concentration of idiocy.

You probably don't care enough to find out, so just take my word for it.

To put it into a physics metaphor, 4chan (especially parts of it like /a/) has somehow undergone a phase transition from gas (random) to plasma (chaos). The turbulence of plasma is somehow ordered.
Although it looks random the randomness arises naturally from set equations.
It's fascinating to me (and many others) and you can trivialize it as "not complicated" all you want if that makes you feel better for not understanding it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 15