• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Hero/Heroine Tournament: Finished!

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sandpuck

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:09 pm Reply with quote
There are few choices based on my firm beliefs, and many based on I'm-gonna-vote-for-the-series-I-know-better or other shameful reasons. Anyway:

Group B-1
Edward Elric, Fullmetal Alchemist

Group B-2
Natsume Takashi, Natsume Yūjin-Chō

Group B-3
Fakir, Princess Tutu

Group B-4
Nicholas Wolfwood, Trigun

Group B-5
Astro Boy, Astro Boy

Group B-6
Touma Kamijo, A Certain Magical Index (aka To Aru Majutsu no Index)

Group B-7
Balsa, Moribito – Guardian of the Spirit

Group B-8
Naruto Uzumaki, Naruto

Group B-9
Iria, Iria - Zeiram The Animation

Group B-10
Shurei Kou/Hong, The Story of Saiunkoku

Group B-11
Noriko Takaya, Gunbuster

Group B-12
Utena Tenjou, Revolutionary Girl Utena

Group B-13
Roger Smith, The Big O

Group B-14
Kazuma, s-CRY-ed

Group B-15
Keiichi Maebara, When They Cry

Group B-16
Vash the Stampede, Trigun
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:13 pm Reply with quote
~~EpiC~~ wrote:
Oops sorry Key you are right, I should be more careful when I post, that's unfairly misleading, I went up and changed it.

I should clarify my argument in why I think Keiichi should win this bracket (if only this one). Now correct me if I'm wrong here since I haven't seen Scrapped in quite a while, and I could have one thing or another off, but Shannon would be willing to forsake the entire world if that meant saving his sister correct (well I think in ep 1 and probably a couple of other times she asked him to kill her if that would be so, I don't remember if that was answered or not, and what he would is left to be very unclear)?

Keiichi isn't willing to give up any one person and holds all his friends as equal. Which is why I feel that it should lean in favor of Keiichi more than Shannon. Well that and the fact that Keiichi has charisma. Not saying he's a pushover or anything since he does do some pretty heroic things, but I'm not sure if he should move on over Keiichi.

Well like to here a reply to make sure I'm not overlooking something again or thinking clearly incorrectly. Will either make mereconsider Shannon or stick by Keiichi, one way or another.

Edited to add some stuff and clear up a few bad typos.

It's been a while since I've seen Scrapped Princess either, but I think you are essentially correct. Regarding whether Pacifica ever asks Shannon to kill her, I don't recall a scene like that occuring, though she definitely considers the possibility I believe. There is a scene later in the series where spoiler[Shannon asks Pacifica if she wants to live or die, and says if she'd rather die he'd kill her right then. After some thinking, Pacifica says that she wants to live. Neither of them are really sure what will happen when Pacifica turns 16 at that stage, but it's quite clear that as long as Pacifica still wants to live, Shannon is willing to take the chance that the world will be destroyed. I think at one point in the series he says something along the lines of "what good is the world if it won't even let my little sister live in it?" A great expression of love for his sister, but I suppose one could argue it isn't herioc.]

On another note, with a little over 2 days left we currently have 25 votes in if my count is correct. Most of the matches are fairly one-sided now (as in the difference is 9 votes or more), but some are still fairly close. I think thse counts are accurate.

Shurei Kou/Hong leads Saito Hiraga 13-12

Shannon Casull leads Keiichi Maebara 13-12

Noriko Takaya leads Juliet Capulet 14-11

Tohru Honda leads Roger Smith 14-11

Naruto Uzumaki leads Christmas 15-10

The fact that Keiichi has made such a comback is a pleasant surprise to me, considering Shannon was beating him 12-3 at one point. Even if Shannon wins I won't be that upset, because at least it's no longer a blowout.
murph76

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Again, basing most of these off the guide. If I have an argument for or against, I'll add it.

Group B-1
Yajima Kintaro, Salaryman Kintaro
vs.

Edward Elric

Group B-2
vs.
Tsukushi Makino, Boys over Flowers

Natsume Takashi

Group B-3
Fakir, Princess Tutu
vs.
Eikichi Onizuka , Great Teacher Onizuka

Onizuka

Group B-4
Linn Syun-Rock Dreu Haider Jinto (aka Jinto Linn), Crest/Banner of the Stars
vs.

Wolfwood

Group B-5
Samatarou Kamiyama, Kamisama Kazoku
vs.
Astro Boy, Astro Boy (Note: link is for original 1963 version)

Astro Boy

Group B-6
vs.
Soichiro Yagami, Death Note

Touma Kamijo

Group B-7
vs.
Jessica Edwards, Legend of the Galactic Hero

Balsa

Group B-8
Naruto Uzumaki, Naruto
vs.
Christmas, Kurau Phantom Memory

Naruto

Group B-9
vs.
Kurenai Shinkurou, Kurenai

Shinkurou

Group B-10
vs.
Saito Hiraga, The Familiar of Zero

Shurei Kou

Group B-11
Noriko Takaya, Gunbuster
vs.
Juliet Capulet, Romeo x Juliet

Noriko

Group B-12
Claus Valca, Last Exile
vs.

Utena

Group B-13
Roger Smith, The Big O
vs.
Tohru Honda, Fruits Basket

Tohru

Group B-14
Taichi Keaton, Master Keaton
vs.
Kazuma, s-CRY-ed

Taichi

Group B-15
Shannon Casull, Scrapped Princess
vs.

Shannon Casull. He protects his sister, both physically and emotionally. He doesn't kill because he knows it would make Pacifica feel worse about her situation. And he stands against an entire religion to do it.

Group B-16
vs.
Sousuke Sagara, Full Metal Panic! franchise

Vash. Here's a person who tends the wounds of people he just shot, who are trying to kill him, because his desire to not take a life is so strong.
Ikari1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Group B-1
vs.

Edward – A true hero and child forced to grow up very quickly. He has many of the attributes that many consider to be heroic and he displays mercy, even on those who in reality, deserve non. Ed is a good fighter who strays away from his mission to atone and return his brother to normal to help others. He is often injured in his fights with evil but has lots of friends who end up placing their hopes in him despite him being only very young.
Group B-2
vs.

Natsume
– Having read up on both characters and reading the comments on here, I have decided to vote for Natsume.

Group B-3
Fakir, Princess Tutu
vs.

Fakir-
Has more of a heroic presence that GTO’s Eikichi and just seems the obvious choice out of the two.

Group B-4
vs.

Jinto – I Have seen a little of banner of stars and only a small amount of trigun but my impressions from reading up on them is that Jinto deserves my vote this time.Group B-5
vs.

Samatarou Kamiyama – I feel he has more in common with a hero than astroboy who is relying on his iconic status thus far in this competition.

Group B-6
vs.

Tohma Kamijo – Because Yagami isnt really a hero in my books and isn’t up to the standards of the other contestant in this group

Group B-7
vs.

Balsa
- because she really can stand her ground so to speak and tries to avoid harming others too much in combat. She has a worthy goal of atonement.

Naruto Uzumaki, Naruto
vs.

Naruto gets my vote. It’s a no brainer this one to be honest. He is a perfect example of a hero and he places the safety of his friends and close ones as a top priority over his life throughout the series. He is determined and brave.

Group B-9
vs.

Kurenai - coin flip

Group B-10
vs.

Saito Hiraga- Wins hands down with his extremely loyal character and fighting spirit. He refuses to be treated differently by the nobles in the opening episodes and he chooses to fight in a world far different from his own and even turns back at one point. His actions during the end of the second series make Saito an obvious choice in this group and I think he deserves to go far in this tourney.
Group B-11
Noriko Takaya, Gunbuster
vs.

Noriko- didn't particularly like Romeoxjuliet and the characters so Noriko wins this for me handsdown.

Group B-12
Claus Valca, Last Exile
vs.

Utena – Dont really know much about last exile but even so after reading up on it, I found Utena to still be the more heroic choice I would go for.

Group B-13
Roger Smith, The Big O
vs.

Roger smith- Dont really like these two in the tournament so flipped a coin on this one.

Group B-14
vs.
Kazuma, s-CRY-ed

Taichi – After reading up on both of these characters I’ve decided that Taichi Keaton is the better contestant in this group.
Group B-15
vs.

Keiichi- This was a hard one for me as I thought both characters are heroic in different ways. In the end I decided to go with my gut choice which was for Keiichi as I think he displays a different but powerful type of heroism compared to that of Shannon.
Group B-16
vs.

Sousuke – I’ve seen FMP many times and despite the comedic themes running in the show, perhaps overshadowing his heroic deeds he deserves my vote in this group. He is always looking out for others and is an excellent soldier who’s heart is usually in the right place.

Last edited by Ikari1 on Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Olliff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I have decided to change my vote in Group B-15 to Keiichi based on the comments and arguments made thus far. I suppose that I made too quick of a judgment since I haven't seen even the entire first season.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:27 pm Reply with quote
B-1: Edward Elric, Full Metal Alchemist
He was someone who always fought for what was right and stuck to his principals.
B-2: Natsume Takashi, Natsume Yuujincho
guide
B-3: Fakir, Princess Tutu
Guide, what I've heard
B-4: Nicholas Wolfwood, Trigun
He was a good man with a kind soul
B-5: Astro Boy, Astro Boy
The idealistic hero for anyone who grow up watching things like Superman and Batman.
B-6: Soichiro Yagami, Death Note
He never gave up, even when his life was at risk he always tried to do what was right.
B-7: Balsa, Moribito
She is a strong character who risks her life to save a young boy.
B-8: Naruto, Naruto
I guess he's heroic, not my choice to win or anything.
B-9: Kurenai Shinkurou, Kurenai
Guide
B-10: Saito hiragi, The Family of Zero
Guide
B-11: .Juliet, Romeo x Juliet
guide/ saw the first ep.
B-12: Utena, Revolutionary Girl Utena
guide and what friends have told me. I should really watch this.
B-13: Roger Smith, Big O
He is a defender of paradigm city. Never really thought of himself much.
B-14: Kazuma, s-CRY-ed
Although he acts like he doesn't care, he goes through pain and suffering to defend the people of the lost ground, and his loved ones.
B-15: Shannon Casull, Scrapped Princess
I still think that Keiichi isn't a hero
B-16: Vash the Stampede, Trigun
He is a kind hearted person who never wants to hurt anyone. But when situation turns for the worst, he does what ever it takes to protect the innocent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:14 am Reply with quote
With a bit less than 23 hours left in the round, we have two tied duels and two still within four votes. Shurei just can't seem to outdistance the tenacious Saito for long in B-10 (this still baffles me, and I still think a lot of voters are highly underrating what Shurei brings to the table), Keiichi Maebara has had a dramatic turn-around since the first day and tied Shannon Casull in B-15, and B-11 and B-13 both remain tightly contentious. Naruto has finally started to put some distance between him and Christmas in B-8 and all other matches are 10+ votes apart, which means that it would take a minor miracle at this point to change the leader in any but the above-mentioned pairings.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kouga13

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Group B-1

Group B-2

Group B-3

Group B-4

Shoulder's the hate of an entire planet. Never was too impressed with Wolfwood.

Group B-5

Group B-6

Group B-7

Group B-8
Naruto Uzumaki, Naruto

Group B-9

Group B-10

More of a vote against Saito. I just can't find him heroic for staying in magic land.

Group B-11
Noriko Takaya, Gunbuster

Group B-12
Claus Valca, Last Exile

Group B-13
Roger Smith, The Big O

Don't see Tohru as an heroic figure.

Group B-14

Group B-15

Keiichi goes psychotic a few too many times.

Group B-16
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Group B-1
vs.

Voting for: Edward Elric
Reason: From the guide, Kintaro seems nothing particularly remarkable, a decent guy but not necessarily a hero. Ed has a strong platform, and though there are a lot of murmurings that he's just doing what he does for hiw own selfish reasons, I don't really believe that.

Group B-2
vs.

Voting for: Tsukushi Makino
Reason: Mylene's post of page 12. Smile

Group B-3
Fakir, Princess Tutu
vs.

Voting for: Eikichi Onizuka
Reason: I'm not actually familiar with either, but on the strength of various arguments made in his favour (and the hint that Fakir is a douche), I'll vote for Onizuka.

Group B-4
vs.

Voting for: Nicholas Wolfwood
Reason: I didn't particularly feel strongly either way, but Jesu's post concerning motives versus methods did a great deal in Wolfwood's favour.

Group B-5
vs.

Voting for: Astro Boy
Reason: Must suck for you to be put up against Astro Boy, Kamiyama.

Group B-6
vs.

Voting for: Soichiro Yagami
Reason: Soichiro is a man of justice. He is strong-willed and has a set of principles that he sticks to firmly. He does everything in his (limited) power to stop Kira, to the detriment of his family life, his career and even his health.
As a human, he put everything on the line in the name of justice - how could people say that he isn't a hero?
Touma, on the other hand, was massively underwhelming in the episodes of Index that I watched. I found his character to be wholly unconvincing (and it was mostly because of him that I dropped the show).

Group B-7
vs.

Voting for: Balsa
Reason: Everything that I've heard about Balsa can essentially be boiled down to "She's utterly awesome and a great person all 'round".

Group B-8
Naruto Uzumaki, Naruto
vs.

Voting for: Naruto
Reason: Okay, so Naruto is a fairly generic shounen hero, but he has his strong points and I'm familiar with them. He's an idiot, and I think I could be convinced to vote otherwise if someone wanted to make the effort, but nothing I hear of Christmas really paints her in a light which seems particularly heroic.

Group B-9
vs.

Voting for: Kurenai
Reason: Iria apparently has a dodgy background?

Group B-10
vs.

Voting for: Shuurei
Reason: Guide.

Group B-11
Noriko Takaya, Gunbuster
vs.

Voting for: Noriko
Reason: Guide.

Group B-12
Claus Valca, Last Exile
vs.

Voting for: Utena
Reason: Claus didn't seem anything special in the episodes of Last Exile that I watched. Very run-of-the-mill.
Utena by default.

Group B-13
Roger Smith, The Big O
vs.

Voting for: Tohru Honda
Reason: Tohru Honda is selfless and has a profound impact on everyone that knows her just through being who she is. She is not passive as a 'force for good' either, and actively considers and acts in order to improve things for people - even when her own safety is on the line (and it is).

Group B-14
vs.
Kazuma, s-CRY-ed

Voting for: Taichi Keaton
Reason: Kazuma looks frickin' evil in that picture.

Group B-15
vs.

Voting for: Keiichi
Reason: Keiichi has his issues, as does everyone else in the show, but he sticks by his friends and does what is right even at great risk to himself. He doesn't deserve to go out in the first round.

Group B-16
vs.

Voting for: Vash the Stampede
Reason: I love Sousuke, but... he's up against Vash. I'm not sure how much staying power Vash has got, but I'm afraid that Sousuke really should bow out at this point.
Sorry, Sousuke.
"It's not a problem."
Sentire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I know this is cutting it close... my apologies.

Group B-1

Group B-2
Very endearing character to me... and upon further reflection, he is heroic. I don't expect him to go far, but I'd like to give him a chance and I need to stay true to my heart.

Group B-3

Group B-4

Group B-5

Group B-6

Group B-7

Group B-8
Naruto Uzumaki, Naruto

Group B-9
My kind of hero... has a good heart, does his best in a situation many would have given-up on.

Group B-10
-It pains me to think that Shurei may lose... personally, she would be my number one pick. As a woman, she's definitely someone I would look up to.

Group B-11
Noriko Takaya, Gunbuster

Group B-12
Claus Valca, Last Exile

Group B-13
Roger Smith, The Big O

Group B-14
Kazuma, s-CRY-ed

Group B-15

Group B-16
-The lengths that this guy will go to in avoiding killing another, even when all are out to kill him. Talk about integrity.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:49 pm Reply with quote
With my boss out due to fighting cancer I've had little time lately. So my votes are going to be very brief this round as I am running on 3 hours of sleep in 36 hours at this point.

Group B-1

Reason: As I have said since the start Ed is NOT HEROIC. All of his heroic deeds are fueled by entirely selfish desires. His only goal is to fix his brother. All the good deeds he does achieve are done simply in the process of carrying out his real goal. Heroism is more then just doing heroic deed or picking right from wrong. It's in the reasoning that separates a simple good/heroic deed from actual heroism. It's the difference between just doing your job cause you have to and truly wanting to help others. Ed's reasonings are selfish at heart. He is not a bad guy but he is not heroic.

Group B-2

Reason: The guide and member opinions swayed me on this one.

Group B-3
Fakir, Princess Tutu

Reason: Both I think deserve to move on to the second round in comparison to other characters but in this match up Fakir is just the more heroic of the 2.

Group B-4

Reason: I don't think either honestly are that heroic compared to many others really. Though Wolfwood seems to think for himself more then Jinto. I mean for much of the show Jinto is really just there for Lafiel. Love the show (more then Trigun honestly, by a lot) but in this matchup I think Wolfwood has the edge.

Group B-5
Astro Boy, Astro Boy

Reason: Despite being created to fight evil Astro just exudes heroism. I mean for decades he was, and is, an iconic symbol of heroism. He doesn't juat do heroic acts, he believes in them and in good over evil.

Group B-6

Reason: Just going by the guide and member arguments for this one. Not really interested in who wins.

Group B-7

Reason: Sorry, I'm biased on this one.

Group B-8

Reason: Biased on this one too. Naruto is heroic, even if horribly annoying, but so is Christmas. What sways me spoiler[is the fact that despite the fact she knows she could lose Kurau, who literally completes her, she fights on to protect humans and all people from her own kind. Even after losing Kurau she continues to support her choice. ]

Group B-9

Reason: Going by the guide and the arguments prsented for Kurenai,

Group B-10

Reason: Not familiar with either that much really but I know Lydia is always going on about Saiunkoku and the arguments also have swayed me.

Group B-11

Reason: Pulled an abunai and flipped a coin. I'll keep those kinds of votes to a minimum.

Group B-12

Reason: Utena is another example of just pure heroism to me. The epitome of a hero fighting against evil because they believe in good triumphing.

Group B-13
Roger Smith, The Big O

Reason: Neither are heroes to me. Neither show real heroism. They both have their own selfish reasons pushing their actions. Not just because something is heroic, but because of their own personal reasons that just so happen to have heroic acts as results. So between the two then I'll vote for the one with bigger heroic acts.

Group B-14

Reason: Kazuma is not a hero. He also fights for very selfish reasons and his acts of heroism by in large are just side effects of that. Taichi however is another prime example, Like Utena or Goku, of someone who not only achieves heroic actions but does so because they believe in them. They believe in good triumphing over evil and I will probably be repeating that phrase through the rest of the tournament.

Group B-15

Reason: Despite having virtually everyone literally out to kill someone he cares about he does not become bitter IMO. He continues to try and help the innocent, along with Pacifica, because it's the right thing to do despite the unfortunate events they face.

Group B-16

Reason: To me Sosuke is not heroic but just doing good deeds because it's simply his job, not only because he feels it's the right thing to do. Even for those who would argue differently he by no means can match up to Vash in terms off heroism. So regardless of Sosuke's heroism Vash's outclasses his.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Sentire wrote:
IGroup B-10
-It pains me to think that Shurei may lose... personally, she would be my number one pick. As a woman, she's definitely someone I would look up to.

By my count (please don't kill me if it turns out I'm wrong), she's now pulled ahead with a narrow 17-14 lead. With 31 people having already voted and very little time left for this round, and think her chances are pretty good.

EDIT: Hadn't seen the last post yet, so it looks like she's ahead by 4 now.

EDIT AGAIN:

Key wrote:

4. Each voting phase will last exactly one week, beginning and ending at 11 p.m. Monday forum time. (This will be changed to midnight Tuesday if the forum clock ever gets adjusted for DST.) No votes posted after the cut-off time will be accepted, even if an official end to the round hasn’t been announced.

Forum time? I'm afraid I'm not totally sure what you mean, because I can adjust the time for the forum in my profile.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Round 1 Group B is now closed.

Final results will soon be posted here. We ended up with two ties on 32 votes, as Roger Smith and Tohru Honda just couldn't ever distance themselves from each other and Keiichi caught up with - but ultimately couldn't pass - Shannon Casull. (Given the opposition each duo faces in the next round, though, any of the four surviving to round 3 seems unlikely.) Thus there will be a round of 18 next time. Amongst other tight matches, Shurei and Noriko were ultimately able to pull away just a little bit from Saito and Juliet, respectively. All other matches were decided by 10 or more votes.

Group C will be up soon; I am having to go to DVDs to get a couple of final pictures, so probably within an hour.

And while I have an audience here: I need Guide write-ups for the individuals listed below or they won't have any for Group D:

Kamui, X
Sakata Gintoki, Gintama
Simon, Gurren Lagann (not absolutely needed but it would help)
Tohma, Fantastic Children (see Simon)

And Mad_Scientist: Sorry, forgot you could adjust the clock relevant to your time zone. "Forum time" is currentl Central Standard Time in the U.S. (GMT -6, I think?)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And Mad_Scientist: Sorry, forgot you could adjust the clock relevant to your time zone. "Forum time" is currentl Central Standard Time in the U.S. (GMT -6, I think?)

Central Standard Time is indeed GMT -6, I was able to verify that, but... not to be a pain, but if that is indeed "Forum Time", then that would mean that this latest round ended at around 10:00 PM Forum Time I think, not 11:00 PM. Did the forum finally account for Daylight Savings Time without you realizing it, or am I just confused?
Key

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:04 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Central Standard Time is indeed GMT -6, I was able to verify that, but... not to be a pain, but if that is indeed "Forum Time", then that would mean that this latest round ended at around 10:00 PM Forum Time I think, not 11:00 PM. Did the forum finally account for Daylight Savings Time without you realizing it, or am I just confused?

No, the forum never adjusted its clock for DST. Thus this post, which is going up by 1:04 a.m. EST, should read 12:04 a.m. on an unadjusted forum time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 77