• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment Adds Kannagi Anime DVDs & Streams

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:02 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
I don't disagree with you on that. It's just that it seems like local companies are bending backward to cater hardcore Taiwanese fans' whim.

As I said in my previous article, with the abundance of "popular" (i.e. shonen-oriented) anime on TV, hardcore fans are the only people who'd buy anime on DVD. Those are the people who can find their way to download HD video or simply buy the Japanese Blu-ray edition; if the local licensee don't make it as a collector's item they wouldn't buy it at all.

reanimator wrote:
Are Taiwanese fans are like Japanese fans?

Far more so compared to, say, the likelihood of American fans to Japanese fans. After all we had been colonized for 50 years.

reanimator wrote:
Are you serious?

Dead serious.

reanimator wrote:
Did Taiwanese companies made local fans angry by making mediocre product in the past? Or is this cultural thing?

Oh, definitely. I've mentioned The Twelve Kindoms example before, and fans still grumble if the DVD case contains nothing but the disc (which is very common in my R1 DVD collection). Bandwidth testing with DVD Bit Rate Viewer is very common in Taiwan (example), but I have yet seen anyone posting it on ANN or any other English speaking anime forum. Oh, and most Taiwanese fans prefer uncompressed linear PCM 2.0 over Dolby/DTS 5.1 (compressed).

reanimator wrote:
If Japanese hates reverse importation, how come the DVD you showed us earlier look exactly alike Japanese version except obi sleeve and company logo? Wouldn't Japanese hate Taiwanese companies for that?

I'm expecting you to ask this question. Most hardcore Japanese fans would have already bought the R2JP limited edition when a foreign release hits the shelf, so they don't have to worry about something that is ~90% the same, with fewer or no extra (interviews, Easter eggs, etc.) I've met Japanese customers in local brick'n'mortar DVD stores looking for vintage titles difficult to obtain in Japan, though.

reanimator wrote:
I wonder what made Japanese to dictate package design of foreign licensee.

Copyright laws give them every right to do so.

reanimator wrote:
How's this? Coming up with attractive design that is different from Japanese aesthetic and appeals to local fans. It doesn't have to be superior, but just as desirable as Japanese counterpart.

As I said many times, with all those aforementioned limitations the chance to achieve your criteria is next to zero. Furthermore, with "1000 copies per disc" is considered as a great success (as far as I know, only Ghibli's movies and Ah! My Goddess: The Movie have broken this threshold) I don't think any company would spend extra time and money to invest on something that Japanese license holders may not approve and/or local fans may not like.

reanimator wrote:
Really, I strongly believe that Taiwan has potential, but it's shame that local companies have to put up with red tapes.

"Potential"? Haw haw, I'm far less optimistic. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:19 am Reply with quote
Dr Grant Swinger wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
My Question is thus: Bandai, why do you hate money so?

Bandia loves money just like the rest of us. The problem is that the UK market is too small for them bother with. The US market is large enough to support a subtitled (but not dubbed) release and produce a decent profit. The UK market wouldn't even even make back the DVD mastering costs. Streaming has the same problem. Somebody somewhere has to pay for the streams and there's nobody in the UK market to do it.

I know this isn't what you want to hear and it's too bad you're getting such a raw deal. But throwing stones at Bandai won't make the numbers work any better. If you want Kannagi you'll have to convince what's left of the importers that the title will be a profitable one for them to bring over. Or you'll have to import. Either way you'll have to settle for a sub-only release.

At least that's better than what I get when I import from Japan. I have to pay a lot more for R2 DVDs that don't even have subtitles.

You know what, no.

No i'm not going to do that, instead, I'm going to fire up my Bittorrent Client and download the whole series

Probably in 1080p , probably subbed better and for little to no cost unto myself.

Because Bandai clearly think me (and, if they so allow me to label them as much, my fellow Brittons) a lost cause and hence I (and they, if they so etc.) shall act as much.

THIS IS THE PROBLEM WITH INTERNET STREAMING IT MUST BE OPEN. OTHERWISE THE FANSUBERS ARE LIGITMISED THOUGH A LACK OF SERVICE.

Also, Beez (Bandai Europe) is one man trying to keep a bunch of raving lunactic french people on task and failing miserably and from what I'm hearing, he's going to get the axe because keeping him as the only link to sanity in that mad house apprently costs too much.

MVM are a bunch of monkeys with no bains in them who have had Funimation jump ship on them and thus all they are left with is whatever scraps they can find (and don't get me wrong, they deserve this) and they can only survive by ringing every last abount of £30 out of the consumer for every 30$ dvd release.

And that leaves Manga, a company that's probably the only company actauly doing anything good with anyone's time and even now has to suffer thoguh idiots (Jetix says hi wihilst proping up the corpse of Naruto's TV airing on it's butterfly knife) making things difficult for them.

And, as of right now, only Manga has bothered to go via streaming.

We'll see what wattered down POS Funimation puts up, but I wouldn't be entirely supprised if all we could see is Kano Sister adverts like ANN's POS service.

SongstressCela wrote:
At this rate even if they do license [Haruhi 2] it'll get the sub-only treatment. It wouldn't surprise me, given the fact they wouldn't even dub the Lucky Star OVA.
I'm going to be blunt and say that's all that Haruhi 2 deserves. That show is a frount to everything that made season 1 so good and it's drunk on it's meta smugness.
Dr Grant Swinger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:54 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:

You know what, no.

No i'm not going to do that, instead, I'm going to fire up my Bittorrent Client and download the whole series

Probably in 1080p , probably subbed better and for little to no cost unto myself.

Suit yourself. However, I've looked at the Kannagi fansubs. They're not 1080p and the subtitling ranges from mediocre to terrible. But they're still free!

Quote:

Because Bandai clearly think me (and, if they so allow me to label them as much, my fellow Brittons) a lost cause and hence I (and they, if they so etc.) shall act as much.

Maybe that's due to the lack of demand for anime in the UK market?

THIS IS THE PROBLEM WITH INTERNET STREAMING IT MUST BE OPEN. OTHERWISE THE FANSUBERS ARE LIGITMISED THOUGH A LACK OF SERVICE.

Anime streams have to be paid for somewhere down the line through advertising, memberships or DVD sales. If none of those are sufficient then there won't be any streams. Free world-wide streaming of anime is an economic impossibility.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Dr Grant Swinger wrote:
Quote:

That article is about the lack of anime on British teles not lack of demand. We've been harping on to our terrestrials for years with limited success as that article reports. We have our conventions annually too, and attendance has been rising at each one so-far. No our only problem at the moment is lack of supply of new titles.
maaya

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm too lazy to read all 14 pages, so sorry if this was asked already. Can you buy the DVD only via amazon or right stuf? I can't use those two and my standard shop doesn't list the series =/
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:14 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
I'm too lazy to read all 14 pages, so sorry if this was asked already. Can you buy the DVD only via amazon or right stuf? I can't use those two and my standard shop doesn't list the series =/

14 pages is alot. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

It's exclusively only available from Amazon and RightStuf for now.
maaya

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:25 pm Reply with quote
thanks! so, for now means that maybe it will change? Because else ... I'll save some money against my will Anime hyper

The cover art is awesome ;o
reanimator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Hey, thanks for answering all my rude and dumb questions. Have you ever thought of setting up a FAQ site for my kind of questions? Something that demystifies R3 Taiwanese DVD's.

Granted that I like extra features, but I don't care much about toys and trinkets. I feel sorry for Taiwanese companies though. Fans over there sure demand a lot. How much do they pay for a single volume Anime DVD anyway? What's the average price for regular movie DVD's? I hope the same thing doesn't happen to here.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:28 pm Reply with quote
So Toradora comes when....?
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:19 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Dr Grant Swinger wrote:
Quote:

That article is about the lack of anime on British teles not lack of demand. We've been harping on to our terrestrials for years with limited success as that article reports. We have our conventions annually too, and attendance has been rising at each one so-far. No our only problem at the moment is lack of supply of new titles.

And 2/3s our companies being apprently run by retards (Plus one genuniely smart guy)
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:26 am Reply with quote
Wow, why did I not see any mention of "Kannagi + subtitles + Bandai" at Aniplex's booth? I thought they were trying to get people to buy the R2 volume 1 for that autograph signing.

And in reading through all 14 pages of this thread, I can only conclude that whatever the R1 companies do, it will never be right. Too few episodes on a DVD? Rip-off. Too many episodes on a DVD? Bootleg quality. Sub-only? Glorified fansubs. Dual-language? Making people "subsidize something they don't want." At this point, they've tried just about everything everything except acquiring the (often crappy station upscaled) HD fansubs and burning them directly to Blu-Ray for online-only sales and soliciting dub-only DVDs to b+m stores.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:33 pm Reply with quote
So, I just got my copy in the mail today, and...huh. There's a typo on the cover (brilliant) and there isn't even so much as a registration card for an insert, let alone anything actually useful.

Sorry, but this just isn't worth the money. I'm not even saying that because it's a sub only, but this just looks like it was a shoddy quick release all around. Really disappointing on Bandai's part.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Wow, why did I not see any mention of "Kannagi + subtitles + Bandai" at Aniplex's booth? I thought they were trying to get people to buy the R2 volume 1 for that autograph signing.

And in reading through all 14 pages of this thread, I can only conclude that whatever the R1 companies do, it will never be right. Too few episodes on a DVD? Rip-off. Too many episodes on a DVD? Bootleg quality. Sub-only? Glorified fansubs. Dual-language? Making people "subsidize something they don't want." At this point, they've tried just about everything everything except acquiring the (often crappy station upscaled) HD fansubs and burning them directly to Blu-Ray for online-only sales and soliciting dub-only DVDs to b+m stores.

I ran across a new gripe recently. Heaven forfend if a distrib can't get the rights to the original music/song used in an OP. Apparently without this key creative element, purchasing a DVD is a DEALBREAKER.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:

I ran across a new gripe recently. Heaven forfend if a distrib can't get the rights to the original music/song used in an OP. Apparently without this key creative element, purchasing a DVD is a DEALBREAKER.

...What? That's a huge part of a series! o_O I can't believe you're even acting like expecting the original music in a series is unreasonable. I mean...Cowboy Bebop without Tank, Evangelion without Cruel Angel's Thesis...did you even think before typing that up?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Hoping/expecting an OP to have the original music is entirely reasonable to me. Using that as the sole reason to not buy a DVD set if that hope/expectation is not met is moronic. Shall we throw another mattress on the pile so that you won't feel the pea, Princess?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 15