• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Manji13 wrote:
After watching the first eight episodes (which were amazing) I was surfing the net and ran into a site that has pictures of the actual places in Japan, next to screen shots from the anime. The only thing is that for some reason all the writing is in some kind of gibberish for some reason, well, here is the link http://www.rinku.zaq.ne.jp/p_v/haruhi.html
For some reason the Japanese writing displays correctly in IE but not in Firefox. Luckily those pictures were good enough to justify the risk in using IE for a little while.

I'm using Firefox and everything is perfect for me. It is possible that FF's automatic encoding detection (which is inferior than that of IE) didn't set the encoding correctly. You might have to set the correct encoding manually with View --> Character Encoding --> More Encodings --> East Asian --> Japanese (Shift_JIS).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Porcupine

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
The acting is intentionally bad in Japanese as well.
I was just about to ask if this was true or not. I'd wondered this for a while actually. But I have to remark that, as someone who really doesn't understand much Japanese, I was mostly unable to tell if this was the case or not. And I've watched quite a lot of anime in my lifespan so I can't use non-exposure to the Japanese language as an excuse.

Even if I can't understand exactly what is being said, I was disappointed that I couldn't tell if the Japanese lines were being spoken as flatly as the English-dubbed lines. There were a few spots where I thought I noticed some moderately bad Japanese voice-acting, but I was never sure if I imagined it or not, and it didn't feel comparable to how "bad" the English voice-acting felt.

I wonder, then, if Japanese speakers who do not understand much English would be equally unable to sense the intentionally bad voice-acting in the dub of Episode 00?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
The acting is intentionally bad in Japanese as well.
I was just about to ask if this was true or not. I'd wondered this for a while actually. But I have to remark that, as someone who really doesn't understand much Japanese, I was mostly unable to tell if this was the case or not. And I've watched quite a lot of anime in my lifespan so I can't use non-exposure to the Japanese language as an excuse.

What's your point then? Since you kept saying that you couldn't tell, are you looking for some proof that the Japanese acting of ep00 was intentionally bad, like an interview with the director and/or casts?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zero89

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:33 am Reply with quote
Read that last sentence, dormcat, and you should get what he's asking for...
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:38 am Reply with quote
Well, I can't claim to be an expert on the Japanese language enough to be a skilled voice-acting judge. But some of the things that stood out to me were Mikuru's unsteady, more-shrill-than usual line deliveries, and Koizumi's wooden, poorly-timed, almost Shatnerian performances. The main scene for Koizumi's lame acting is in the later half where Yuki explains the movie's setup to him. Yuki, of course, is just as emotionless as she is in the main series Smile
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:58 am Reply with quote
Zero89 wrote:
Read that last sentence, dormcat, and you should get what he's asking for...

Well then, Porcupine needs a Japanese Haruhi fan who can't speak English -- someone who wouldn't bother visiting ANN anyway. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Zero89

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:05 am Reply with quote
Well, that's why there are people with connections to those people.... people like YOU dormcat.... lol Wink Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Xanas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:39 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Manji13 wrote:
After watching the first eight episodes (which were amazing) I was surfing the net and ran into a site that has pictures of the actual places in Japan, next to screen shots from the anime. The only thing is that for some reason all the writing is in some kind of gibberish for some reason, well, here is the link http://www.rinku.zaq.ne.jp/p_v/haruhi.html
For some reason the Japanese writing displays correctly in IE but not in Firefox. Luckily those pictures were good enough to justify the risk in using IE for a little while.
Majikza wrote:
The acting/etc is intentionally bad, which might be something that wouldn't cross as easily if you weren't hearing the dialog.
But you do hear the dialogue if you watch it in Japanese with subtitles, unless you mute the volume. The acting is intentionally bad in Japanese as well.

Smile
I think you know what was meant here. You don't have to act so dense with the new people just because they aren't 100% specific about it. Generally it's going to be harder to hear "bad acting" in a language you aren't completely familiar with than one where you are.

That and sadly the sub translation they used especially in that episode was particularly dry I thought. It may have been more accurate but it didn't sound as interesting to me. Of course I'm a dub fan and I think a good translation with style is a form of art in itself.

Last edited by Xanas on Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:38 am Reply with quote
OT.. but I pre-ordered the Suzumiya Haruhi no Yakusoku PSP game today (the expensive version with all the cool stuff) from YesAsia. Due out 20th December.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really sure what my point was, I just think this latest discussion is an interesting thing to investigate further.

Zalis116 wrote:
But some of the things that stood out to me were Mikuru's unsteady, more-shrill-than usual line deliveries, and Koizumi's wooden, poorly-timed, almost Shatnerian performances. The main scene for Koizumi's lame acting is in the later half where Yuki explains the movie's setup to him.
Yes. These are the very same instances of "bad" voice-acting I felt I might have noticed as well, in the Japanese-language version of Episode 00. But I wasn't sure because I don't understand much Japanese.

But if that's the extent of it in the Japanese, then I would say the purposefully "bad" American dub voice-acting is still much more severe than the Japanese. The American version is bad at all times, every single English word and line was subtly spoken badly on purpose. Some characters did it more pronouncedly than others, namely Stephanie Sheh's Mikuru, but I think everyone had it to some extent.

The same constantly subtle inflections may have been present in the Japanese too, but I wasn't able to detect anything. But that doesn't mean anything because I don't even speak the language so I probably wouldn't be able to notice.

Although I think the Koizumi section you mentioned sounded to me to be more awkward in Japanese (even with me not understanding Japanese). I think it's partially because it was translated poorly into English, though, and the ADR director probably didn't understand how to correctly make it bad. I interpreted that clip (in Japanese) as Koizumi struggling to remember his lines despite hours of rehearsal....he had a LOT to say there without a scene change. Smile Poor directing (Haruhi the director) was at fault there lol. Smile
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:50 am Reply with quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3MT6Wi3Kp8

Enjoy. Laughing Laughing The timing isn't 100% perfect, but still... Shocked Laughing
Porcupine

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that no one posted about the release of Haruhi Vol 3. I got my LE in from amazon yesterday. Only 3 episodes this time as I'm sure everyone knew, so maybe some people will more encouraged to get the regular edition and save money. But one bonus in the LE is that since it comes with an extra DVD with 5 episodes in the Japanese TV broadcast order, you'll get an extra new episode on that DVD that's not on the normal DVDs yet. So buying the Vol 3 LE sort of gets you 4 new episodes, I guess that's a plus (on the other hand this means the last LE may be worthless since you'd only get 2 new episodes).

I was kind of disappointed by the pillow case though. It was made to pretty shoddy quality and on mine, the red from Haruhi's mouth just bled all over her face and it looks like someone punched her in the mouth and dirtied up her face. Smile

I was pretty disappointed by these 4 new episodes, too. They were by far the worst quality Haruhi episodes I've seen yet. I was expecting comparable quality to the previous 8 episodes (DVD order) but the animation quality was suddenly really cheap and frame-saving. Episode 9 (TV) / 14 (DVD) in particular had a completely motionless still scene that lasted for 1/4 the whole episode or something. That's probably the record-holder for longest unmoving scene in any anime ever. Wink The previous one I knew of was the Evangelion elevator scene in one of the later episodes. Oh well, lol.
Nom_Anor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Yay! That means my rightstuff order should be in the mail.

The pillowcase quality is disappointing; I hope mine is alright.

The animation quality might be the DVD. I don't remember any problems with the animation in those episodes. The Nagato-bookreading is one of the best parts. Does the DVD not subtitle the background sound during the scene? And it's only three or four minutes 1/7 or 1/5 of the show, not a fourth.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Mine arrived Monday, but so did a bunch of other stuff, so I haven't got around to watching it yet. The CD that came with this LE was Haruhi's character songs. I was like: Oh? Oh! And then I didn't listen to it.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
I'm surprised that no one posted about the release of Haruhi Vol 3. I got my LE in from amazon yesterday. Only 3 episodes this time as I'm sure everyone knew, so maybe some people will more encouraged to get the regular edition and save money. But one bonus in the LE is that since it comes with an extra DVD with 5 episodes in the Japanese TV broadcast order, you'll get an extra new episode on that DVD that's not on the normal DVDs yet. So buying the Vol 3 LE sort of gets you 4 new episodes, I guess that's a plus (on the other hand this means the last LE may be worthless since you'd only get 2 new episodes).

I was pretty disappointed by these 4 new episodes, too. They were by far the worst quality Haruhi episodes I've seen yet. I was expecting comparable quality to the previous 8 episodes (DVD order) but the animation quality was suddenly really cheap and frame-saving. Episode 9 (TV) / 14 (DVD) in particular had a completely motionless still scene that lasted for 1/4 the whole episode or something. That's probably the record-holder for longest unmoving scene in any anime ever. Wink The previous one I knew of was the Evangelion elevator scene in one of the later episodes. Oh well, lol.
I should be getting the Vol. 3 regular edition soon enough; Rightstuf says it's "Reserved for my order," anyway. As I said before, I decided to pass on the special editions because I didn't need the physical extras, and if I wanted to watch the episodes in broadcast order, I could just shuffle DVDs around after getting all four, or just fire up the fansubs again. But this "disappointment" is part of the reason why so many were clamoring for the DVDs to be released with the TV-ordering of the episodes. After all, in the context of the main story, these episodes are basically filler, and the goal at the end is...that rather boring "Nagato reads a book" episode. (I know you don't watch it Porcupine, but the 24-episode Haruhi commerical known as Lucky * Star made fun of that episode, saying "Man, they really killed time with those long-winded Nagato scenes.)

So in the TV-airing, these episodes were broken up and interlaced with the main plot episodes, as you saw in the LE discs. But at least episodes 12 and 13 on disc 4 should be much more amusing, before concluding the DVD run with...that boring episode 9/14.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 134 of 213