• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Adult Swim Gauges Interest in Bringing Back Toonami

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maxxshadow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Toonami was a relatable medium to introduce kids to anime, and ALSO a way to package different titles to drum up interest. Personally, I hate animes like BoBoBo Bo BoBoBo, and Zatch Bell. They're silly, and annoying. However, the way Toonami marketed them, I found them enjoyable on television.

Tried to watch them later. Wasn't the same AT ALL.

Toonami had great music. Music they never released, nor licensed.

It pulled in new comer anime fans by marketing its titles with style. My girlfriend of two years never liked anime (I've been a fan since before Toonami). We watched April Fool's Day Toonami, and suddenly, she enjoys anime, realizing that not all of it is weeaboo trash (like Bleach and Naruto).

As for Adult Swim's dwindling anime ratings which were pointed out in this thread, you fail to take into account two things;

Adult Swim began airing THE SAME CRAP OVER AND OVER again. FLCL has FOUR EPISODES, and airs again and AGAIN. I don't need to watch the same show from beginning to end every month. The same problem occurs with Big O (even with Season 2 in circulation) AND Cowboy Bebop. Sorry guys, yes it IS an amazing show but over 10 years on the air with only a little under 2 months worth of episodes gets a bit tiresome. Ghost in the Shell as well.

Don't even get me started on Inuyasha, with it's Twilight-esque pandering to teenage girls, and idiotically meandering filled-infested storyline that got SO BAD that they had to more or less scrap the original TV series, and release "The Final Act" in which they (sort of) stopped screwing around and got back to their plot.

We face the same problem with the disgraceful piece of weeaboo, Yu Yu Hakkusho re-telling wannabe, tom-f**kery of a disaster that is Bleach. Seriously? What episode are we on now? 9001? 9002?

Full Metal Alchemist is alright, not my favorite, but I can admit when a show is good.

Not even sure what to say about Kekkaishi, because I am not that interested in the show. I got bored after an episode and a half.

That's it. Between the fact that half the programming is reruns, FILLER, or just tailored to only a select demographic, it got pushed to midnight-five am.

Unless you are an insomniac, or care enough to fill up your dvr just to watch shows that have been around for years, the endings of which you have seen most of at least once, the average person probably isn't going to bother with it at this point.

Also, hate to say it, but packaging is a HUGGGGE deal. Adult Swim's bumps, music, and general attitude is one that feels very tailored to stoners, and hipsters.

That's only its non-anime programming.

For its anime programming, it uses a bit of licensed music, with text cards. It's been years since I saw them do their epic promos with badass electronica-hip-hop-d&b music interspersed with hodgepodge clips of new action anime. THAT was cool. And if you watch them, the promos (and the bumpers that used anime clips) were pretty much EXACTLY like Toonami bumpers and promos, but with the adult swim logo.

stuff like that used to get me excited to watch my weekly animes. It was a good time.

If and when Toonami comes back, it will need a new lineup of uncut anime, and an accessable timeslot. 8 pm on a Saturday night? It would ALSO be a good idea to revive the Toonami Jetstream. New shows (even if they've been released in the US already), uncut and a bit darker (since original Toonami fans are old enough to handle it) and the ability to catch the same lineup online as well, would usher in a new era of Toonami epicness.
alucard911

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:02 pm Reply with quote
To the above poster
At least you understand what most of us want in Toonami coming back. I don't want to see the same rehashed material. I mean I swear more dbz would just drive me insane. There is plenty of more anime out there to be had that isn't as crazy as berserk. Gundam 00 would be the shit to see on there. As well as others like Darker Than Black, and fairy tail.
Ddoddka_10

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Finally CN is doing something good for a change, i stopped whatching CN after they replaced the good old anime with that american crap, seriously "the amazing world of gumball " wtf
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Ddoddka_10 wrote:
Finally CN is doing something good for a change, i stopped whatching CN after they replaced the good old anime with that american crap, seriously "the amazing world of gumball " wtf

Gumball is one of my favorite shows on CN (though Adventure Time and Regular Show are better, I'll admit), weeaboo.

And most of that "American Crap" is far more fun to watch than whatever latest moeshit has come out in Japan.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:21 am Reply with quote
Gumball isn't American; it's more British. And it's in there because it's getting ratings and awards for CN.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:41 am Reply with quote
alucard911 wrote:
Gundam 00 would be the shit to see on there.

Gundam 00 was on SciFi....excuse me, SyFy a while back.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:01 am Reply with quote
maxxshadow wrote:

Adult Swim began airing THE SAME CRAP OVER AND OVER again. FLCL has FOUR EPISODES, and airs again and AGAIN.

Apparently they didn't air it often enough, or you would have remembered FLCL was six episodes. Very Happy

Seriously, however, your point is valid. They do indeed put some heavy mileage on most of their remaining licenses.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:05 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
maxxshadow wrote:

Adult Swim began airing THE SAME CRAP OVER AND OVER again. FLCL has FOUR EPISODES, and airs again and AGAIN.

Apparently they didn't air it often enough, or you would have remembered FLCL was six episodes. Very Happy

Seriously, however, your point is valid. They do indeed put some heavy mileage on most of their remaining licenses.

It's almost gotten to the point where spoiler tags aren't even necessary anymore. Seriously, if you don't know how Cowboy Bebop ends already......your only valid excuse is that you were living in North Korea and just recently defected.

We get it, Cowboy Bebop is the best anime out there, but that does not justify repeatedly airing it for over a ****ing decade non-stop!!
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's almost gotten to the point where spoiler tags aren't even necessary anymore. Seriously, if you don't know how Cowboy Bebop ends already......your only valid excuse is that you were living in North Korea and just recently defected.

Funny, I've never actually seen a single minute of Cowboy Bebop. I've been meaning to watch it, though.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Gumball is one of my favorite shows on CN (though Adventure Time and Regular Show are better, I'll admit), weeaboo.

And most of that "American Crap" is far more fun to watch than whatever latest moeshit has come out in Japan.

Quote:

Funny, I've never actually seen a single minute of Cowboy Bebop.

Well there's your problem.

1) Ad hominems via useless words like "weeaboo"
2) Baseless generalization of a medium you clearly haven't even seen much of
3) Actually using "moeshit' seriously. Wish I had that "Losing an argument? Cry 'moeshit'!" image macro handy.

Geez, I hope there isn't anyone who still isn't convinced Chagen46 isn't a troll.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I'm clearly a troll for having a personal opinion and not seeig ONE anime. God, you're the troll here. Rolling Eyes
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Funny, I've never actually seen a single minute of Cowboy Bebop. I've been meaning to watch it, though.

I'll save you the trouble....Harry Potter kills them all.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Very funny.

I've never gotten to see it because I came into the fandom after it was all super popular and I generally don't have the money to buy the box set (I'm 16 and un-employed). I didn't even know that AS kept re-playing it, I don't watch that channel.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
TheAncientOne wrote:
maxxshadow wrote:

We get it, Cowboy Bebop is the best anime out there, but that does not justify repeatedly airing it for over a ****ing decade non-stop!!

Shouldn't be any reason to spoiler tag any anime from the 90's and earlier. It would be like spoiler tagging Titanic or Citizen Kane now.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Shouldn't be any reason to spoiler tag any anime from the 90's and earlier. It would be like spoiler tagging Titanic or Citizen Kane now.

Because every new person coming into the fandom is gonna know all these series, right?

News flash: Just because something is highly known is no excuse to act like everyone already knows about it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 16