• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Quote Guessing Game -- RESULTS! Come view them! ^_^

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Symmetrical_Magician

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:16 pm Reply with quote
So I guess that makes it my turn again?

Character A: *coughs*
Character B: What's wrong?
Character A: The air around here is really bad. Oh, that's right! I forgot to bring my cold medicine. Is it alright for me to go back and get it?
Character B: Go back where?
Character A: Japan.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Meh. Good enough for a guess.
spoiler[A: Rock
B: Revy
Anime: Black Lagoon]

JO: What can I say? I likes me my tables.
Symmetrical_Magician

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:22 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
Meh. Good enough for a guess.
spoiler[A: Rock
B: Revy
Anime: Black Lagoon]

Sorry, that is incorrect.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:29 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Basically, people aren't really going to count five quotes back (I don't think) every time to make sure you aren't repeating, but it's just there in place to make sure people don't abuse a series or post the same one in a row twice.

In this case, though, Skip Beat! was used twice in a row. Any quote in the future which uses the exact same series as its immediate predecessor should be automatically DQed.

Quote:
EDIT: On a totally random note, being that I am stuck in the boonies as per the usual with several items downloading, several videos rendering, and quite simply nothing to do at this hour of the night, I'm going to start tallying scores from the beginning of the game, and a winner will be posted (and two dozen-something placers) at the end of page 150, after which we will start a new thread to save space, as is tradition with ye olde Picture Game.

I will be very curious to see where in the standings I am when you get this finished. I have to think I'll be fairly high.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hypersoda

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:23 am Reply with quote
Yes, I know this one!

spoiler[Character A: Nougami Neuro
Character B: Sasazuka Eishi
Anime: Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro
I don't completely remember the situation, but I do remember that they were on their way to meet Yako, who was confronting Sai. I believe it had something to do with the concentration of shouki in the air (or something like that) and how the door to the demon world was affecting Neuro's body.]
It's been about half a year since I watched it, so I'm not completely sure of the context, but that's what I remember.
Symmetrical_Magician

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:51 pm Reply with quote
hypersoda wrote:
Yes, I know this one!

spoiler[Character A: Nougami Neuro
Character B: Sasazuka Eishi
Anime: Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro
I don't completely remember the situation, but I do remember that they were on their way to meet Yako, who was confronting Sai. I believe it had something to do with the concentration of shouki in the air (or something like that) and how the door to the demon world was affecting Neuro's body.]
It's been about half a year since I watched it, so I'm not completely sure of the context, but that's what I remember.

Yes, that's right. What I found especially funny about that was how spoiler[Neuro probably could have gone to Japan and back very quickly...]
hypersoda

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:36 pm Reply with quote
You know, now that I think about it, he could!

But he has no cold medicine, remember? Very Happy

Okay, new quote!

"My father, [name edited out], was a legendary painter, famous for turning anything and everything into his canvas. He painted on everything: paper, cloth, stones, and even animals. The whole world began to take interest in his work. I, too, am another one of my father's masterpieces."

Apparently, the quote is almost the same in both the sub and dub versions. Above is the dub. In the sub, the last words are "greatest pieces" instead of "masterpieces".

Last edited by hypersoda on Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:43 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
EDIT: On a totally random note, being that I am stuck in the boonies as per the usual with several items downloading, several videos rendering, and quite simply nothing to do at this hour of the night, I'm going to start tallying scores from the beginning of the game, and a winner will be posted (and two dozen-something placers) at the end of page 150, after which we will start a new thread to save space, as is tradition with ye olde Picture Game. I'll make that big pretty table like DerektheRed would sometimes make, although I'll admit I don't have any means to upload it yet... Embarassed

Hmmm, if it isn't too much trouble, I would be interested in knowing how many quotes the various series/franchises received. I'm picking Code Geass to be a contender for the most quotes, ha ha. Having genres ranked by number of quotes received would also be great, but I cannot reasonably ask you to do that; it's just too time-consuming. Although, if you are stuck out in the boonies with time on your hand, maybe . . . ?
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:37 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Hmmm, if it isn't too much trouble, I would be interested in knowing how many quotes the various series/franchises received. I'm picking Code Geass to be a contender for the most quotes, ha ha. Having genres ranked by number of quotes received would also be great, but I cannot reasonably ask you to do that; it's just too time-consuming. Although, if you are stuck out in the boonies with time on your hand, maybe . . . ?

Yes, well, I am working on that. Though you may be surprised to find that Code Geass was less prevalent amongst many other overused choices. Code Geass just comes to mind because it was used as the whipping boy for single-source abuse. Other even greater repeat offenders...well, I'll have the full report later.

Just a little trivia for what I've compiled, anyway...as of this very page:

Arrow 387 quotes or minigames have been played.

Arrow Out of these, there were only 21 "48-hour finishes," and no instances where a quote was overguessed incorrectly.

Arrow Oh, heck with it, I'll throw you a bone here. THE most overused show (at this time) with seven separate quotes was...Excel Saga. With a few exceptions, they were all Excel-isms as well. There were, however, several shows (or franchises) that got six quotes each, and that'll be in the full report as well.

Arrow You'd think it would be difficult to repeat a quote in this game, and it seems it was. This only happened (kind of) twice.

1. The ominous/sad ad nauseum answering machine from Mayu's phone in Gundam SEED Destiny was used once as a main game by BES Null Core, and later as a picture mini-game by Sakura of Avalon.

2. Some total idiot re-used a quote verbatim in the main game, albeit over 50 pages after it had first been played by Selkie. Aisha Clanclan's admittedly memorable observation, "The ship won't move unless you're naked? Well, that's very kinky, wouldn't you say?" from Outlaw Star.

Who was that dunderhead...oh, of course. It was me. Razz

Just a preview, anyway. As time-consuming as it is, this was kinda fun. Especially in the wee hours of the morning while marathoning Cowboy Bebop in the background...

Last edited by JacobC on Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Given that June is almost over, that means that the character guessing game thread is about to get renewed with "Q3 2009" and start a new thread. Given that this thread is getting rather long (and therefore a tad daunting), is there any possibility that the quote thread will also get a Q3 2009?

And this quote is driving me insane, I feel like I've heard it before but I can't quite place where, like I can remember the exact scene, but not the anime itself.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:12 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Arrow Out of these, there were only 21 "48-hour finishes," and no instances where a quote was overguessed incorrectly.

No doubt many of those twenty-one were my own quotes. So sad.

JesuOtaku wrote:
1. The ominous/sad ad nauseum answering machine from Mayu's phone in Gundam SEED Destiny was used once as a main game by dtm42, and later as a picture mini-game by Sakura of Avalon.

Um, you've got it wrong. I didn't use it in a Maingame, I was the one who correctly guessed it (both times, kind of). BES Null Core was the one who put it up for the Maingame.

But anyway, what was with all the Code Geass hate then? I don't see why people got so annoyed with it if it wasn't even the worst offender. Sure, there were quite a few quotes from it all at once, but that just makes it easier to guess them, right?
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:21 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Um, you've got it wrong. I didn't use it in a Maingame, I was the one who correctly guessed it (both times, kind of). BES Null Core was the one who put it up for the Maingame.

Oops! Yeah, that's what my data says. I just typed that wrong. Silly me. Fixed! Very Happy

classicalzawa wrote:
Given that June is almost over, that means that the character guessing game thread is about to get renewed with "Q3 2009" and start a new thread. Given that this thread is getting rather long (and therefore a tad daunting), is there any possibility that the quote thread will also get a Q3 2009?

Pretty much. Well, that is to say a new thread will be started after 150 pages are officially through. On either the bottom of page 150 or the top of page 151, (however counting works out,) I'll display the official results of this big old monster (in my own special way, which will therefore be a bit ridiculous), and then start a new quote game thread. Yay.
hypersoda

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Time for a hint, then? Very Happy

Hint #1: spoiler[In this episodic series (some stories stretch 2 episodes), this quote describes something important about the girl in which this episode is centered around.]
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:25 pm Reply with quote
shot in the dark

spoiler[
Character: Alex
Show: Cardcaptors, Episode 7
Situation: She explains to Sakura why the painting is so important and why she's so upset over someone "painting over it" when actually it's the Silent Card who's taken home in the painting at the museum because it's quiet.]

Did I do that right? There are so many rules that I got lost reading them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hypersoda

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:36 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
shot in the dark

spoiler[
Character: Alex
Show: Cardcaptors, Episode 7
Situation: She explains to Sakura why the painting is so important and why she's so upset over someone "painting over it" when actually it's the Silent Card who's taken home in the painting at the museum because it's quiet.]

Did I do that right? There are so many rules that I got lost reading them.

You set up the answer right....but the answer is wrong. Sorry!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 141 of 151