• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Quote Guessing Game -- RESULTS! Come view them! ^_^

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I really did enjoy it. It has a lot of worth beyond the nostalgic appeal a lot of people tack on it. I guess it helps that I intentionally skipped filler arcs and a lot of the episodes that I heard hurt the series most, (which consists of like, the entire last fourth...Anime dazed) I don't think it was the greatest shonen ever, like some people who did grow up on it feel, but it's definitely a worthy classic. I like shows that can balance striking pathos with all the little feel-good moments like that, and are based most heavily on the human element, and right and wrong. I also like older anime over newer most of the time. So it's my kind of show. Anime smile

New quote!

"Cooking food, drawing pictures, and playing music is all fun, and I have as many books to read as I want...but of all things I enjoy most the idle time, just sitting outside and watching the day pass into night. I think my father taught me that a long time ago...or was it someone else? I get that feeling a lot..."
murph76

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:41 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[That's Claes from Gunslinger Girl, mainly to herself as she and Henrietta are going to plant a garden near the end of episode 5. The "someone else" she's referring to would be her handler, Raballo.]
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:45 pm Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:
spoiler[That's Claes from Gunslinger Girl, mainly to herself as she and Henrietta are going to plant a garden near the end of episode 5. The "someone else" she's referring to would be her handler, Raballo.]

Shocked Oh, you fast! Laughing

That is correct! Such a heartbreaking scene...okay, the whole show was heartbreaking. Those girls talk about appreciating life's little pleasures in the same tone they use to talk about terminating someone... Crying or Very sad And then there's the memory thing...

Your turn, I gotta go weep somewhere...
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Nice quote JO. The other memorable one for me is Rico's from the hotel, but I think that one was used already. I guess this means that Gunslinger Girl is your next review, huh?
murph76

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Next up, from the sub:

"I will descend with you. In protecting us ... in protecting us, how devious we've been to make you kill another man. Please allow me to at least cleanse you of the blood that falls on you."
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:50 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
Nice quote JO. The other memorable one for me is Rico's from the hotel, but I think that one was used already. I guess this means that Gunslinger Girl is your next review, huh?

No, not really. I just didn't want to use a(nother) Trigun or Bebop quote, which is what I've been watching recently for review purposes. -.-' I'll review it someday, but not real soon...

Ironically, I was going to use Rico's, but I thought it was way too easy by comparison. Rico's BEST quote is just "I'm sorry," but that would have been too vague...ugh. She says it like "Heeere's Johnny." Twisted Evil
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:32 am Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:
Next up, from the sub:

"I will descend with you. In protecting us ... in protecting us, how devious we've been to make you kill another man. Please allow me to at least cleanse you of the blood that falls on you."

spoiler[Kirara talking to Katsushiro in Samurai 7. Can't remember exactly, but I think this was when they'd gotten to the village and Katsushiro was feeling anxious after the first time he'd killed a someone.]
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:58 am Reply with quote
Wow, the dub is pretty different. But I probably still wouldn't have gotten it even if the dub lines were posted. Episode 12.
murph76

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:13 am Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
Kirara talking to Katsushiro in Samurai 7. Can't remember exactly, but I think this was when they'd gotten to the village and Katsushiro was feeling anxious after the first time he'd killed a someone.

Yep, that's it exactly. A very nice moment between the two of them.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:18 am Reply with quote
Schweet. I don't have quote ready and I'm getting late for work as it is, so minigame it up in the meantime.
Sakura of Avalon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:48 am Reply with quote
Ok, minigame:

Generic #757858

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:39 am Reply with quote
Okay, here's the next one, should be easy. From the subs:

A problem? Do I have a problem?! You took the heights of the human spirit, of the male soul, and you stomped it into the dirt, smacked it around and smashed it! I'll follow all of you bastards down to the deepest pits of hell and kill you a million times over!!!
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I honestly didn't expect this to last more than fifteen minutes.

Clue 1: spoiler[The character is reacting to the latest in a series of vile deceits employed by the enemy to prevent him from achieving his goal.]

Clue 2: spoiler[A goal that he even betrayed his friends for.]
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:21 am Reply with quote
All this talk of "male spirit" and smashing, and just general hyperbole, makes me think of spoiler[TTGL.] The fact that you only just finished re-watching it helps too.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:47 am Reply with quote
Clue 3: spoiler[But, There Are Some Things A Man Just Has to See!!]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 143 of 151