• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films Shuts Down, Parent Transfers Assets to Other Companies

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:58 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
kikiyo2 wrote:
I'm just wondering how long before Ledford pulls out his usual fan sub rant when all this comes back to bite him in the ass.
Cause we all know that was never the root cause of all this. Rolling Eyes

Actually no it wasn't. Not the only. Their own failed business practices and over stretching themselves was just as much to blame. They dreamed big but unfortunately the dream ended. Yes fansubs have had an impact in the anime bubble bursting but with ADV it's hardly the only case. They made risky business ventures stretching themselves out and most of them just did not work in the end. One prime example being their manga department. Can't blame fansubs for that one. While I am hardly a fansub supporter the simple fact is ADV has many other factors holding them back and hurting them from bad business ventures to bad business partners. This break and new start is good but if they don't alter their business practices I figure it'll be just a matter of time til they're gone completely.
daedelus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:34 am Reply with quote
I'm not to sure about that, Psycho.

Now I'm not trying to say that ADV was squeaky clean or that they were just an innocent victim, but if Soljitz hadn't, in my opinion, double crossed ADV and pulled all of their licenses of their most recent releases, ADV would probably still be in business today. Maybe not the juggernaut they used to be, but still around. Funi might still be bigger, but not by the huge margin they are now.

But hey, I could be wrong. It's just a strong feeling I have and we will never really know what might have been anyway.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:41 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Yes fansubs have had an impact in the anime bubble bursting but with ADV it's hardly the only case.
I didn't say it was. Indeed this is a good example of what can happen when a business marrage fails. But it is the kind waters that all anime companies on both sides of the pond, have had to sail in, which has put an underlying, and completely unnecessary strain on them. I was responding to the "allz anime dubz muz diez" fansub troll.
bob-san

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:07 am Reply with quote
Because my innner otaku demands it...

(Sung to the tune "Oh Danny Boy")

Oh ADV, The Otaku are calling
From shore to shore, and 'cross the internet
They cry you're gone, and all your titles scattered
'Tis you, 'Tis you we'll miss and glad we met
But come ye back as AEsir and as Valkyrie
As Seraphim and Section23
And we'll be hee, awaiting all new titles
Oh ADV, You left but returned to me.
DeSpawn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I think they need to have it broken down so people can understand what happened... because i still confused...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
siradix

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:50 am Reply with quote
Kireek wrote:
ADV's distribution duties will be taken over by a new company named "Section 23." This new company is registered under the name of Vance Griffin, friend of ADV's current owner and also a practicing lawyer.

"Section 23" is the code in Texas debt law which explains how debts can be protected by registering and transferring securities to different corporate entities.

That's right. They named their new company after the section they were exploiting.

lol I wonder what their logo will look like.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:54 am Reply with quote
What about their recording studio Industrial Smoke and Mirrors or whatever it's called and their voice actors?
SXAniMedia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:26 am Reply with quote
chrisb wrote:
What about their recording studio Industrial Smoke and Mirrors or whatever it's called and their voice actors?

Industrial Smoke and Mirrors became ADV Studios in 2005, and in 2007 was renamed to Amusement Park Media, and now it's Seraphim Digital Studios. Name changes are the norm. Cool

Voice actors are not employees of any studio, they are contract workers.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:42 pm Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
I'm not to sure about that, Psycho.

Now I'm not trying to say that ADV was squeaky clean or that they were just an innocent victim, but if Soljitz hadn't, in my opinion, double crossed ADV and pulled all of their licenses of their most recent releases, ADV would probably still be in business today. Maybe not the juggernaut they used to be, but still around. Funi might still be bigger, but not by the huge margin they are now.

But hey, I could be wrong. It's just a strong feeling I have and we will never really know what might have been anyway.

From what I can asset from what Matt Greenfield told me last year at Oni-con, Sojitz was a very unruly and impatient investor. Each title ADV put was to be dubbed and each series was to be finished in 6 weeks time. Greenfield said that Sojitz had planned to renew thier deal with ADV in March 2008, but became hostile that ADV wasn't going to bring the return that Sojitz thought that the titles would. Sojitz begin withdrawing from ADV in January, but ADV begged them to give them time to finish work. come July 2008, Sojitz pulled the titles and ADV was left with no choice but to split from thier investor.

Likewise this article is misleading. ADV isn't dead. They closed down thier old label and divided the company changing it's label name to "SX23" or "Section 23".
mozychan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:02 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
Their online VOD section sucked and never worked. They just didn't understand the market anymore nor how to make money anymore. Hopefully this will help. Maybe the new owners will plunk all their content onto CrunchyRoll and just sit back and rake in the money - its better than spending money going nowhere with their own VOD setup.

I agree with you, even though they already kinda tested the waters at crunchyroll with a few titles, but for whatever the reason they didn't continue. Then they started dumping more stuff online at The Anime Network not too long ago, which tells me that they'd rather go solo.

But I seriously hope the now, Section23 Film company, reconsiders and uploads most (if not everything) on Crunchyroll either for streaming or through the download-to-own model. If they were to sell their anime on Crunchyroll's online store, I for one would buy from them. But I will not subscribe to their selfish Anime Network outlet. Same goes for FUNi and their upcoming CR online video community rip-off, shodojo.com; I will not support their selfish tactics.

-moose
Kireek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:22 pm Reply with quote
selfish acts? explain?
mozychan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:18 am Reply with quote
Kireek wrote:
selfish acts? explain?

The Anime Network was a division of A.D. Vision (aka ADV). Not to long ago ADV put up a bunch of their anime on the website in hopes of creating their very own online video-on-demand subscription service. Despite that they were already an infrequent publishing partner of Crunchyroll. So basically, ADV didn't want to share the profits with the third party video hosting website and said 'screw you.'

Funimation and Shodojo.com appear to be making the same mistake, but it's too early to tell. For one, I do not know if Shodojo will have a subscription service. If not, then that is ok. I say that because it's no different then what they've already been doing on Funimation.com, and other partner video sites, that offer free viewing of their content with limited advertising to users. Where they may go wrong is by making people pay to watch their titles on their new and upcoming self hosted website.

Do you not see some problems with these intentions from those in the industry?

This post is getting long so let me just ask, would you be willing to spend $6.95 a month for only ADV Films at The Anime Network, $6.95 a month for only FUNi Films at Shodojo.com, and $6.95 a month for anime from several providers domestically and internationally (Japan) compiled at Crunchyroll? That's adding up pretty quickly... People are already having a difficult time reasoning to pay just $6.95 a month at one service alone. Having at least one 'middle-man' like Crunchyroll (does not necessarily have to be this one) creates an environment were all in the industry can gather together and make their offerings on equal terms. That, combined with free ad based places like Hulu, is more promising and desirable for viewers.

To sum up, I do not want to pay $21 a month to watch anime online thank you very much.

-moose
animetex

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:15 am Reply with quote
nagato316 wrote:
Pepperidge wrote:
So... are they finally going to reveal what "ADV" stands for, now?

Wasn't ADV originally known as A.D. Vision, way back in the Devil Hunter Yohko days? I swear I heard/read this from somewhere. And okay, I guess that only solves 33% of the mystery, but hey...*shrug*

It's an interesting story and full of intrigue. "ADV Films" is a trade name used by the corporation A.D. Vision, Inc. The corporate name derived from a mistake made by a Japanese licensor in the founding days of the company. The predecessor company to A.D. Vision, Inc. was a video game import business called Gametronix. Gametronix had its roots and alliances in Tokyo as far back as the late '80's and early '90's. Through these alliances, and with the help of some legal manuevering both in the US and Japan, A.D. Vision, Inc. was formed to bring as much Anime as possible to the US and Europe. The Japanese company thought the new entity would simply be "a division" of Gametronix. Due to legal and important business considerations, it had to be a new legal entity, so it was named simply, "A Division" or A.D. Vision, Inc. It was decided that "ADV Films" was a much more descriptive and recognized "name" to use in the entertainment industry than the corporate name.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:39 pm Reply with quote
mozychan wrote:
kokuryu wrote:
Their online VOD section sucked and never worked. They just didn't understand the market anymore nor how to make money anymore. Hopefully this will help. Maybe the new owners will plunk all their content onto CrunchyRoll and just sit back and rake in the money - its better than spending money going nowhere with their own VOD setup.

I agree with you, even though they already kinda tested the waters at crunchyroll with a few titles, but for whatever the reason they didn't continue. Then they started dumping more stuff online at The Anime Network not too long ago, which tells me that they'd rather go solo.

But I seriously hope the now, Section23 Film company, reconsiders and uploads most (if not everything) on Crunchyroll either for streaming or through the download-to-own model. If they were to sell their anime on Crunchyroll's online store, I for one would buy from them. But I will not subscribe to their selfish Anime Network outlet. Same goes for FUNi and their upcoming CR online video community rip-off, shodojo.com; I will not support their selfish tactics.

-moose

They can make more money hosting the videos themselves, so that's why they do it. It's really no more selfish than Crunchyroll keeping it's videos to itself. It's called good business practice. Pretty much every channel on Earth streams it's shows on it's own site now, in addition to airing them on others. Anime isn't any different than shows on NBC or CBS in that respect.

Also, TAN doesn't stream just ADV/Sentai shows. They also stream the majority of Right Stuf/Nozomi's, as well as a large number of shows from Enoki films, including Utena and Demon Lord Dante.

Also, don't forget that Anime Network had forums and social networking features before Crunchyroll was even online. You may be able to say Funi is ripping that off, but the same does not apply to TAN.

And if you don't want to subscribe to it, than don't. Nobody is making you. I pay for both Crunchyroll and TAN, because they are both playing shows exclusively that I want to watch. I wouldn't subscribe to Funi, because they just don't have anything that interests me.
mozychan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:25 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
mozychan wrote:
kokuryu wrote:

-moose

They can make more money hosting the videos themselves, so that's why they do it. It's really no more selfish than Crunchyrollthem keeping it's videos to itself. It's called good business practice. Pretty much every channel on Earth streams it's shows on it's own site now, in addition to airing them on others. Anime isn't any different than shows on NBC or CBS in that respect.

Also, TAN doesn't stream just ADV/Sentai shows. They also stream the majority of Right Stuf/Nozomi's, as well as a large number of shows from Enoki films, including Utena and Demon Lord Dante.

Also, don't forget that Anime Network had forums and social networking features before Crunchyroll was even online. You may be able to say Funi is ripping that off, but the same does not apply to TAN.

And if you don't want to subscribe to it, than don't. Nobody is making you. I pay for both Crunchyroll and TAN, because they are both playing shows exclusively that I want to watch. I wouldn't subscribe to Funi, because they just don't have anything that interests me.

I'm not calling them selfish because they believe they can capitalize on the idea of hosting there own content instead of relying solely on third parties. In fact I would encourage them to do that so they can be a bit independent and chase the money.

What I was trying to convey was that they have avoided serving up most of there videos to at least a single third party. Instead they've offered the stuff exclusively on there own websites. Except in some instances, if a person wants to watch a particular title they are tied down to the domestic distributors website. Now say if one wants to watch Family Guy on TV or the internet, they have the options of going to TBS (Time Warner), Hulu (a joint venture company), Fox, Adult Swim (Time Warner), iTunes, etc... The Family Guy licensors have tried to get the product to as many users as they can.

Do you think Bandai would be keen on posting there stuff on TAN? How about Viz on Shodojo.com? That would be like seeing a Windows PC in an Apple Store. Or would they possibly be more willing to post on 3rd party sites like CR and hulu which do not play favoritism nor do they create a disadvantage amongst the competition?

You said CR is keeping the videos they obtain to themselves. That's an incomplete thought. CR is receiving media from providers to be used online under undisclosed terms. My guess is they have no right over the property to redistribute as a licensor. It would be stealing. As for Section23 and the others, they are full blown licensee's so they have more freedom to do what they want with their anime.

I never claimed that CR pioneered the social networking aspect. Only that places like shodojo are trying to replicate the video community. Please don't think that I'm giving CR the credit for being the first at doing that either. The AnimeVillage/dot-anime had their shot, but failed. Aside from that, loads of Japanese websites have offered similar services for a long time.

-moose

Last edited by mozychan on Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:50 pm; edited 3 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 17